News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 - 74 Rear Bumper

Started by wilbur124, October 26, 2010, 03:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilbur124

I'm having a hard time finding a good rear bumper for my 73 charger.  I've seen a couple for sale for a 71 or 72.  In the past, I have been led to believe that they won't work for 73 because they don't have the brackets on the inside for the vinyl filler.  Can anyone verify that for certain?  Are they interchangeable between all four years or not?  Thanks.

RD

Quote from: wilbur124 on October 26, 2010, 03:46:01 PM
I'm having a hard time finding a good rear bumper for my 73 charger.  I've seen a couple for sale for a 71 or 72.  In the past, I have been led to believe that they won't work for 73 because they don't have the brackets on the inside for the vinyl filler.  Can anyone verify that for certain?  Are they interchangeable between all four years or not?  Thanks.

they are interchangeable.. the brackets are different between the 71/72 and 73/74 years.. but the bumpers will work.  will it be year correct.. no... due to bumper jack slots in some years, but they will work.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

jaak

:iagree: And not only that, but if you use the 71/72 brackets, you can do away with the fillers all together.

Jason

74Rallye

Quote from: jaak on October 26, 2010, 06:41:04 PM
:iagree: And not only that, but if you use the 71/72 brackets, you can do away with the fillers all together.

Jason
And then you can cut slots in the front bumper mounts to get rid of the filler in the front! Of course it won't be stock, but it will look better.

wilbur124

When you say use the 71/72 brackets, are you talking about the two monster brackets that mount the bumper to the body?   I've looked at different pictures and it looks like the bumpers fit more snug to the body in 71/72 models, thus alleviating the need for fillers.  Is the bracket itself shorter to make it fit that way?  I wonder why they changed it in 73.  It makes it look bad.

wilbur124

Also, can you elaborate on the idea of cutting the slots in front?   Unfortunately I'm out of town for a while, so I can't look at my car and visualize it.  Thanks.

74Rallye

The rear brackets on a 71/72 are shorter. The front brackets bolt to the frame with 2 large bolts on each side. By cutting the bolt holes into ovals, you have slots that let you slide the bumper back.

jaak

Quote from: wilbur124 on October 27, 2010, 02:19:34 PM
When you say use the 71/72 brackets, are you talking about the two monster brackets that mount the bumper to the body?   I've looked at different pictures and it looks like the bumpers fit more snug to the body in 71/72 models, thus alleviating the need for fillers.  Is the bracket itself shorter to make it fit that way?  I wonder why they changed it in 73.  It makes it look bad.

Yes 71/2 brackets are shorter. I think it was a federal mandated thing in 73, the bumpers had to be moved out some, and big ugly bumper guards placed on all cars (not just Mopars, everything else too).

Jason

wilbur124

When I was taking the car apart, I put the rubber bumpers in the "not to go back on" pile.  It really does change the whole appearance of the front end.  Thank you guys so much for the advice.  I've gone ahead and ordered the bumper.  Now I will be looking for brackets for 71/72 B body.  I have a 73 road runner waiting it's turn to be restored.  I think I might do the same with it's bumpers too. Thanks again all.     
                               Willy

Nacho-RT74

if somebody is interested there is a NOS 71 rear bumper around here :D
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

wilbur124

Thanks, but I just made a deal with someone else.  I wish I had known you had it.  By chance, do you have the rear brackets for a 71/72 B body?

RD

Quote from: wilbur124 on October 28, 2010, 04:34:09 PM
Thanks, but I just made a deal with someone else.  I wish I had known you had it.  By chance, do you have the rear brackets for a 71/72 B body?

i do.... $75 + shipping. :D  came off a 71 charger i just parted out.  private message me or email me at racedodge at hotmail dot com

also, the front bumper brackets for the 71/72's are different than the 73/74's.  but you can modify a 73/74 like stated above.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander