News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What the? Since when are these things black in the middle?

Started by bull, December 27, 2005, 01:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

More than one picture would have been nice (especially for $700). If you look at the seller's other items for sale, anything that is chrome looks black so I'm guessing that the room he's taking pictures in is dark. I can't imagine that the entire top doesn't reflect though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

8WHEELER

If I was selling it and wanted the money he is asking, I would have 3 or 4 pictures and some kind
of a description  ???  But I would bet it does have the ribs, but I would EMAIL him.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Were they originally painted black in the grooves between the ridges in the middle? Maybe that's what's going on. It's hard to tell from that one picture like you guys said.

8WHEELER

Quote from: bull on December 27, 2005, 03:46:07 AM
Were they originally painted black in the grooves between the ridges in the middle? Maybe that's what's going on. It's hard to tell from that one picture like you guys said.

I believe they was Bull, judging by all of the originals I have seen that were still in good
shape, it would appear there was some black down in the small grooves.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Dang! someone ended it early with a $699 BIN. That's a crapload of money, but I guess that's what it takes nowdays.

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

B5 Charger

That's crazy.  I could have restored an original myself for less than half of that.  People are nuts!   :rotz:

bull

Quote from: B5 Charger on December 28, 2005, 01:54:38 PM
That's crazy.   I could have restored an original myself for less than half of that.   People are nuts!     :rotz:

That's just it. Apparently no one can restore them without goofing them up. Or do you know something we don't?

B5 Charger

Any reputable chrome shop should be able to replate that piece to like new condition.  After that just mask the painted areas and repaint.  I just had my '69 lid rechromed and I am getting ready to paint it back like it should be.  There are aluminum plates which have the woodgrain on them that I had to remove.  They were held on by push nuts.  I have already stripped, repainted and applied new woodgrain to those.  After I get the lid repainted all I have to do is put on the new plate, pop on some new push nuts and it will be good as new.  Total cost to have all three of my console top plates rechromed was less than $300.00.  The wood grain decals were about $17.00.  New push nuts from the local hardware store, paint, masking tape, etc. was about $20.00.  Total cost $337.00 - $350.00 and that was for all three parts not just the console lid!  Like I said less than half and people are crazy.  Chrome: A&A Chrome plating Independence MO, Decals: Harden's Muscle Car World, Paint & Supplies:  Ace Hardware

bull

Quote from: B5 Charger on December 31, 2005, 11:57:39 AM
Any reputable chrome shop should be able to replate that piece to like new condition.   After that just mask the painted areas and repaint.   I just had my '69 lid rechromed and I am getting ready to paint it back like it should be.   There are aluminum plates which have the woodgrain on them that I had to remove.   They were held on by push nuts.   I have already stripped, repainted and applied new woodgrain to those.   After I get the lid repainted all I have to do is put on the new plate, pop on some new push nuts and it will be good as new.   Total cost to have all three of my console top plates rechromed was less than $300.00.   The wood grain decals were about $17.00.   New push nuts from the local hardware store, paint, masking tape, etc. was about $20.00.   Total cost $337.00 - $350.00 and that was for all three parts not just the console lid!   Like I said less than half and people are crazy.   Chrome: A&A Chrome plating Independence MO, Decals: Harden's Muscle Car World, Paint & Supplies:   Ace Hardware

I'll probably try having it rechromed but I was told by someone here that the process would most likely round off the edges in the grooves on the '68-style shift plate and cover. But I guess I'd rather have rounded off edges than a pot-marked interior piece.