News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why would a third gen not have side marker lights?

Started by ramairthree, October 23, 2010, 09:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparguy01

because they fixed it? When I repaint my 74se I'm shaving it's marker lights. Frankly I think they look like trailer lights.

Ghoste

74 marker lights were really externally mounted reflectors.  That car has had them removed.

ramairthree

ok, thanks, thought they were real lights, not just reflectors.

jaak

Quote from: ramairthree on October 23, 2010, 10:23:20 PM
ok, thanks, thought they were real lights, not just reflectors.

They were lights, not just reflectors.

Jason

Ghoste

Nacho-RT74

lights and reflectors all years since 70

68 only lights

69 only reflectors
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Good to know, I had always thought 73 and 74 were just reflectors.

ODZKing

Yeah, someone filled in the holes.
And yes, they were lights ... the socket in them took 194 bulbs.

tricky lugnuts

Could be the result of a quarter panel installation -

I had a 74 barracuda years ago that needed quarters. I was 18 at the time and and had bought the car, which came with a set of 71 quarter panels.

The marker lights are different on the two years, so rather than cut out the proper holes for the 74 lights and weld them into the 71 panels, we just "shaved" the lights on the 71 quarters, which left the car with no lights on the quarter panels.

Of course, there were still 74-style lights on the car's front fenders. Is that the case with this car or are they gone up front, too?

tricky lugnuts

Also, in one of your pictures it looks like there is green Duraglass or something like it in the marker light hole - it looks like that explains it!

Why it was done is anyone's guess!

In my case 12 years ago it was done because I was too poor to afford the right quarter panels for the Barracuda and in too big of a hurry to get the car painted and on the road!  :angel:

Ghoste

73charger440

i just replaced my quarter panels and they have the indentions but there not cut out ,i was wondering how easy it would be to leave the side marker lights out

jaak

Quote from: Ghoste on October 27, 2010, 11:27:24 AM
It looks clean without them I have to admit. :Twocents:

I agree, '72-up sidemarkers are just bulky and generic looking.

Jason