News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4bbl won't close

Started by chargd72, November 05, 2010, 10:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

I have the opposite problem than Yvesp does.  I can't get my Secondaries to close.   I have an Eddy 1405 sitting on my 400.  It a 600cfm manual choke and I believe it has mechanical secondaries.  I can easily open and close them by hand so there doesn't seem to be any obstruction.  They just kind of hang open.  Any ideas?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

firefighter3931

Maybe the return spring is too weak ? Throttle cable not adjusted properly ?  :scratchchin:

Make sure the linkage isn't binding up. Also check the base gasket because those have been known to cause binding issues.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

chargd72

Thanks Ron.

Just put on a new return spring on the throttle.  How would the cable not be adjusted properley?  I'll check the linkage and gasket. 

So if I take the carb off (no throttle cable or return spring), should it theoretically close?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Ghoste

firefighter3931

Quote from: chargd72 on November 05, 2010, 12:11:57 PM

How would the cable not be adjusted properley?  I'll check the linkage and gasket. 

Aftermarket carbs are universal but there is specific linkage adapters that must be installed to maintain the proper pedal ratio. Without the adapter you will never get the throttle blades to fully open or fully close....at the same time.  ;)

Edelbrock makes an adapter for the Mopar throttle cable assembly....does your carb have this part installed ?  :scope:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1481/?rtype=10

Yes, the throttle blades should be fully closed with the carb off the engine....and on the engine with no linkage installed as well as properly adjusted linkage.

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

chargd72

Thanks, I'll give that a look.   :cheers: