News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock trans vs. Perfomance trans

Started by BBKNARF, October 23, 2010, 01:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBKNARF

Is there any differants in ET at the track ? a few people that I talked to say it does lower your ET with a performance transmission, the other person says it will not make any difference as long as you have a good shift kit or valve body in your stock trans it will perform the same  :shruggy: In may case I do have a stock TF727 transmission with a reverse manual valve body that shifts hard, so I like to know from some of you transmission experts is it worth purchasing a street/strip trans with a reverse manual valve body.  :shruggy:

Has anyone experience this before. Thanks

Frank
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

John_Kunkel

It's unlikely that the performance transmission, by itself, would help the ET's over a healthy stocker but a performance converter can make a significant difference.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 23, 2010, 04:10:04 PM

It's unlikely that the performance transmission, by itself, would help the ET's over a healthy stocker but a performance converter can make a significant difference.

I will agree with John.  MVB's are a "want" not a need.  You will not see any huge performance gains until you see guys running transbrakes, rollerized components, MVBs, and proper converter selections based upon vehicle build and output.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

firefighter3931

Quote from: RD on October 23, 2010, 07:13:22 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 23, 2010, 04:10:04 PM

I will agree with John.  MVB's are a "want" not a need.  You will not see any huge performance gains until you see guys running transbrakes, rollerized components, MVBs, and proper converter selections based upon vehicle build and output.

I agree with both John & Jamey...the stock trans works fine. You might go slightly faster with a fully rollerized unit but it's expensive to go that route. The real Magic is in the converter  :icon_smile_big:

Frank do you race any OSCA events ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BBKNARF

I agree with both John & Jamey...the stock trans works fine. You might go slightly faster with a fully rollerized unit but it's expensive to go that route. The real Magic is in the converter  :icon_smile_big:

Frank do you race any OSCA events ?

Ron
[/quote]No I don't race at any special events I just go on test and tune days just playing around. I know a guy who wants to sell his 3 season old street/strip trans witch he says he paid $2400.
he will sell it to me for $1000 so I'm trying to find out if its worth it. Knowing me I'm always trying to find a deal just to go faster.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Ghoste

Some of those mods see more benefit in terms of consistency at the strip than any improvement in et.  Others are for durability and as mentioned only a couple will have much effect on et.

firefighter3931

Quote from: BBKNARF on October 23, 2010, 08:07:13 PM
No I don't race at any special events I just go on test and tune days just playing around. I know a guy who wants to sell his 3 season old street/strip trans witch he says he paid $2400.
he will sell it to me for $1000 so I'm trying to find out if its worth it. Knowing me I'm always trying to find a deal just to go faster.

Maybe we need to hook up at an OSCA event....that class is made for cars like ours. Full interior liscenced street cars  :2thumbs:

I'd be leery of purchasing a used race trans unless it was freshened up and thoroughly inspected.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs