News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona's gettin' a little bit closer to REALLY cruising.........

Started by hemi68charger, October 22, 2010, 06:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Well, it's been a long time coming... I finally broke down and purchased a complete Gearvendor overdrive unit for the Daytona. From what I saw in Pat's thread, this is a fairly easy mod. I can't believe I'm even saying "mod" when it comes to my cars, I've always been Mr. Over-Anal-OEM (at least that's what my mopar friend circle call me). With this technology, my Daytona will have the performance I've gotten accustomed to PLUS the driveability of really cruising on the highway at a comfortable (for me) rpm range... The only modification I can see happening over and beyond the obvious driveshaft mod is the h-pipe. I may have to have a new h-pipe made up to go around the overdrive unit. Luckily, I have plenty of extra driveshafts in the garage attic, so I don't have to mess with the original, I'll just tag and store...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dave Kanofsky

Good luck on the install Troy!

I'm looking for a Hemigeno / MoparJohn type step by step photo guide on this one!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

daytonalo

I'm sure you will be very happy and the best of all you wont gets passed on the highway by some old lady in a Kia because your Daytona was 3000 RPM @ 75 !!! Good luck

NYCMille

Troy, I've almost 40k on my unit... you WILL love this modification. Welcome to the world of 85 mph cruising  :2thumbs:

FJ5WING

looks like you have a great plan Troy!!!!

Im sure the updates will be a pleasure to read.
wingless now, but still around.

PocketThunder

Ummm yes please, count me in for one of those!  Driving into work today i'm getting passed by everybody while i'm doing 70, so i step it up to 75~80ish and the tach is banging off 4,000 rpm.  :-\

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

tan top

:coolgleamA: been thinking about one of these for a few years :yesnod:
  got all the goodies , buy the looks of it !! looking forward to the fitting reports & pictures  :popcrn: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

where did you get the kit and what does it run !!!  Is it complete everything you need but a drive shaft ???

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on October 22, 2010, 10:12:58 AM
where did you get the kit and what does it run !!!  Is it complete everything you need but a drive shaft ???

I just went to their website and it says $2,700.  Maybe when you sell off one of your projects you can get a deal on two and then give one to me for testing. :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 22, 2010, 10:33:21 AM

I just went to their website and it says $2,700.  Maybe when you sell off one of your projects you can get a deal on two and then give one to me for testing. :icon_smile_big:
I could use one as much as i drive the bird

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on October 22, 2010, 10:47:03 AM

How many miles did you put on this summer?  I just rolled 2,027 miles so far on my way to work today.  thats 178 gallons of gas so far at $3.00 avg per gallon, damn i guess i do need this overdrive.

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 22, 2010, 11:07:47 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on October 22, 2010, 10:47:03 AM

How many miles did you put on this summer?  I just rolled 2,027 miles so far on my way to work today.  thats 178 gallons of gas so far at $3.00 avg per gallon, damn i guess i do need this overdrive.
here is what it had at the beginning of the summer , but remember it was down with out a motor for three month ,i will see tonight what on it now

daytonalo

I my mind the price of fuel is the last thing to be concerned with , how about your engine living

hemi68charger

Quote from: daytonalo on October 22, 2010, 11:27:07 AM
I my mind the price of fuel is the last thing to be concerned with , how about your engine living

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.......... The engine strain.............. I picked up my unit for $2050 from a friend who's a vendor doing me a favor... The money I saved I'm going to rechrome all my dash bezels and convert the amp gauge from redline........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 22, 2010, 12:13:48 PM

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.......... The engine strain.............. I picked up my unit for $2050 from a friend who's a vendor doing me a favor... The money I saved I'm going to rechrome all my dash bezels and convert the amp gauge from redline........
I recommend dave patik at performance car graphic to do you dash bezels and gauge conversion  :Twocents:

PocketThunder

So its not good for my engine to run at 3,000+ rpm for a long period of time?  What is going to happen to it if i do?

NYCMille

QuoteSo its not good for my engine to run at 3,000+ rpm for a long period of time?  What is going to happen to it if i do?
- nothing... for some reason people think 3000 rpm is too high to run an old big block. I've had my 440 spinning at like 3000-3500 rpm for 500 miles at clip. No worries.

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 22, 2010, 01:13:09 PM

So its not good for my engine to run at 3,000+ rpm for a long period of time?  What is going to happen to it if i do?

Nothing... I wish my 440 cruised at that rpm keeping up with traffic............. I cruise at about 4000 at 65mph, that's the part I don't like.............
Troy

daytonalo

First question is why and how about when a kid pulls next to you @ 75 in his Hot -rod Subaru and send you home in tears ?? Over drive lets you keep up with Grandmom in her Buick !!!!Trust me I know high RPM , I spin my boat engine min 4000 - 6000 all day long during boating season , and I mean all day all summer long

PocketThunder

Quote from: daytonalo on October 22, 2010, 03:00:09 PM
First question is why and how about when a kid pulls next to you @ 75 in his Hot -rod Subaru and send you home in tears ?? Over drive lets you keep up with Grandmom in her Buick !!!!Trust me I know high RPM , I spin my boat engine min 4000 - 6000 all day long during boating season , and I mean all day all summer long

Dont you have a job in the summer? ..??   :icon_smile_big:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 22, 2010, 02:11:32 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on October 22, 2010, 01:13:09 PM

Nothing... I wish my 440 cruised at that rpm keeping up with traffic............. I cruise at about 4000 at 65mph, that's the part I don't like.............
Most of my classics cruised at 3,000 rpm.  Never had a issue.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

hemi68charger

OK, let it be known,,,,,,,,,,,,, I don't like cruising at 4000 rpm on the highway only doing 60-65 mph (and yes, I still want the 4.10 performance on my regular streets around town). This has nothing to do with Grandma, a Subaru or the color of grass in Mongolia........ Call it,,,, personal preference................  Now if others don't mind it, more power to them..... 

:cheers:

I'll update in a while since this isn't going right in.... Don't want the car to be down for the next couple of shows over the next month...

Troy

pettybird

Quote from: daytonalo on October 22, 2010, 03:00:09 PM
First question is why and how about when a kid pulls next to you @ 75 in his Hot -rod Subaru and send you home in tears ??

Or Porsche...this is my new toy/daily driver, a 1989 944 Turbo S.  247hp (don't laugh--0-60 in 5.5, 1/4 mile in 13.8@101+) Brembo brakes, Koni suspension and more.  I LOVE it.  When it's rolling it's not easy to get around...

I know it has nothing to do with your overdrive but I was looking for an excuse to post it!

daytonalo

For sure the right thing to do . You can probably do 90 MPH @ 2500 when your done ?

Old Moparz

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 22, 2010, 06:41:49 AM

Well, it's been a long time coming... I finally broke down and purchased a complete Gearvendor overdrive unit for the Daytona. From what I saw in Pat's thread, this is a fairly easy mod. I can't believe I'm even saying "mod" when it comes to my cars, I've always been Mr. Over-Anal-OEM (at least that's what my mopar friend circle call me). With this technology, my Daytona will have the performance I've gotten accustomed to PLUS the driveability of really cruising on the highway at a comfortable (for me) rpm range... The only modification I can see happening over and beyond the obvious driveshaft mod is the h-pipe. I may have to have a new h-pipe made up to go around the overdrive unit. Luckily, I have plenty of extra driveshafts in the garage attic, so I don't have to mess with the original, I'll just tag and store...

Wow, I'm shocked.   :o   I actually had to double check your user name when I read this post.   :smilielol:

I think it's cool though, I'd love to have your Daytona.   :cheers:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

moparstuart

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :nana:  so troy when does the alterkation front cross member , rack and supionion go on  :rofl:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 23, 2010, 08:36:17 AM

Wow, I'm shocked.   :o   I actually had to double check your user name when I read this post.   :smilielol:

I think it's cool though, I'd love to have your Daytona.   :cheers:

No more shocked than I !!!!  I'm not sure where this is coming from, but I'm doing it......... Maybe it's me getting older, changing or something else... My friends as well are kidding me about it... In all reality, I'm not hurting anything about the Daytona, so it's all good...

Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 22, 2010, 05:25:40 PM
OK, let it be known,,,,,,,,,,,,, I don't like cruising at 4000 rpm on the highway only doing 60-65 mph (and yes, I still want the 4.10 performance on my regular streets around town). This has nothing to do with Grandma, a Subaru or the color of grass in Mongolia........ Call it,,,, personal preference................  Now if others don't mind it, more power to them..... 

:cheers:

I'll update in a while since this isn't going right in.... Don't want the car to be down for the next couple of shows over the next month...

AB - Your tach is off.....70 MPH should be about 3700-3800 Max with 4.10's and 15" tires.

Richard Cranium

Do you have to beat up the drive shaft tunnel to get all that in?
I am Dr. Remulac

moparstuart

Highbanked Hauler

Hey Troy,geeese I thought you would go with changing the rear gear put in something like a set of 2:76 and you'd have Talladega cruising gears!! :yesnod:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi68charger

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 28, 2010, 08:22:59 PM
Hey Troy,geeese I thought you would go with changing the rear gear put in something like a set of 2:76 and you'd have Talladega cruising gears!! :yesnod:

There's something about pulling the original 4.10's out of her that I don't like.. I have gotten accustomed to the performance around town and don't want to give that up...

Quote from: Richard Cranium on October 27, 2010, 07:58:57 PM
Do you have to beat up the drive shaft tunnel to get all that in?

I don't think so. The Achilles heel for the installation was the 90 degree speedo pinion adapter. It used to stick out further from the OD case, hence closer to the tunnel. Here is a comparison of the older version in Pat's '68 and mine I have now...

1. Previous design: You can see how close the adapter is, it has that star-looking mid-section.
2. Current design: Mine doesn't and it's not even fully seated in this picture.
Troy

Dave Kanofsky

* * * Hypothetical Situation* * *

Troy wheels the Daytona on over to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. 
After he exits the car and the tech drives it over the pit, Troy mentions to the guy down below, "Hey after you grease the inner tie rods and U-joints, don't forget the two on the idler arm and the 90 degree speedo pinion adapter"

Seriously though, that should be a sweet ride when it's buttoned up.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

mauve66

they must of radically changed the 90 degree adaptor, mine doesn't look anything like that :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

what did you decide on the activation switch and status lights???
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

hemi68charger

Quote from: mauve66 on October 30, 2010, 09:45:42 AM
they must of radically changed the 90 degree adaptor, mine doesn't look anything like that :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

what did you decide on the activation switch and status lights???

You mean where do I plan on mounting them or which positions? (Auto vs. Manual)? I'm not planning on installing it until the Christmas holiday when I have many days off in row.
Troy

mauve66

position of activation switch, type of activation switch, type of status lights, position of activation lights...............we have to wait until WHEN????????
we're living through your pics man..........................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

68RT4ME

My unit has the 90 degree adapter for it too. It didn't come with it so it had to be ordered to make it work as it's way tighter in the drive shaft tunnel on a 3rd gen than on a 2nd gen.. As for RPM's, I run 3.91's with a 275 60 15 BFG at 28" tall and the engine turns 3200 rpm's at 80 mph which is my cruising speed. It's been installed since '06 and I've run it up and down I-95 a few thousand miles with no issues. I'd say you will like it allot.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd