News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will we ever see the sunken rear window again?

Started by Charger440RDN, October 13, 2010, 08:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

No, he didn't, it was an efficient solution that GM had also used in '66/67. GM's designs were typically ahead of Chrysler's and Fords. The Charger lagged in the Fastback/Muscle car race by one yr. from the get go because Dodge balked at using a A-body for their sporty competitor - though, they had a chance to get in early with a Baracuda clone, of huge importance It wouldn't easily accomadate the Big Block powerplants there was also the Turbine program which seemed to be on line for installation in 500 Chargers for '67. The NOX standards that came down from the Dept. of Transportation derailed that entire program.

more info here

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,14937.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25267.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on October 19, 2010, 03:00:26 PM
Obviously the idea came from there but the Charger crew made it attractive.  The half hearted attempt on those bent looking GM cars was, well, not so much.
Really?  I not only think the 67 GTO is  ( almost ) as beautiful as a 2nd gen Charger, but the roof line looks almost exact and the GTO came first.
And the good looking car came as a convertible.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

I was being a litle facetious.  But in all honesty even though I am a bit of a closet Pontiac fan, the 66 and 67 GTO's aren't my favorites.  I was being a smartass with the half hearted comment.  My subjective opinion and I can't really put my finger on it, those two years just never clicked with me personally.  I like the Chevelle quite a bit for 66-67 and the Cutlass okay too but the Buick and Poncho for some reason not so much.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on October 19, 2010, 09:28:43 PM
I was being a litle facetious.  But in all honesty even though I am a bit of a closet Pontiac fan, the 66 and 67 GTO's aren't my favorites.  I was being a smartass with the half hearted comment.  My subjective opinion and I can't really put my finger on it, those two years just never clicked with me personally.  I like the Chevelle quite a bit for 66-67 and the Cutlass okay too but the Buick and Poncho for some reason not so much.
I hear ya.  I like almost all the 67 cars.  I think the 67 GTO is real classic but I would take a 69 over a 67. I love the 69/70 SS Chevelles. Olds are nice but I'd take a 70 over a 69 and buick just never did much for me, I'd pass on all of them including the GNX.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Brock Lee

Yeah, there is a definite influence from the 1966-7 GTO. I swear the side windows were influenced by the same era Bonnevilles. I was parked next to one and it looked like the drip rail was almost interchangeable.

Brock Samson

of somewhat related info... a great deal of effort was expended in providing the second Gen Charger with a group Six Prototype style roof line, where the roof was "Dropped onto the body like a group six type sports racer" is I believ the quote i read, credited to the design philosophy of the designers in 1965. The lip spoiler on the back, the pinched grill in plan view which was very radical at that time when all American cars had a box shape plan view (the view from overhead). The two round tailights in a blacked out trim section were even mimicking the mid engined racers of that time. The tunnel roof looked great, some prefer it over the truly areodynamic 500/Daytona rear window, it wasn't efficent at speed, but was a lot easier to clean for sure... my Chrysler 300's flushed out rear and front windows are a bitch to clean inside.  :shruggy:

also from the 1965 timeline...  http://www.moparmagazine.com/2009/may_june/grassroots_engineering.html

also see "Fling Buttress"..

http://karakullake.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-favorite-flying-buttresses.html

Charger440RDN

Did Ferrari use design elements of the 68 Charger when they designed this Ferrari?  Note the round tail lights, sail panels and sunken rear window. Door vents like the Charger too, except backwards:  :scratchchin:

Brock Samson

bull

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 19, 2010, 08:32:18 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on October 19, 2010, 03:00:26 PM
Obviously the idea came from there but the Charger crew made it attractive.  The half hearted attempt on those bent looking GM cars was, well, not so much.
Really?  I not only think the 67 GTO is  ( almost ) as beautiful as a 2nd gen Charger, but the roof line looks almost exact and the GTO came first.
And the good looking car came as a convertible.

I prefer the 66-67 Chevelle myself. Still has the recessed window/sail panels but not the goofy Fairlane/Fury front end.