News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How long should hub bearings last?

Started by flyinlow, October 17, 2010, 06:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

My 2004 Bonneville has gone thru 3 sets of front hub bearings in 160K miles . Is that normal?

Charger RT

is it having bearing issues or an ABS light issue.
Tim

elacruze

Front wheel bearings are a real headache in the last years.

I have two J-body GM cars, both with about 150k miles. I've put 5 or 6 front wheel bearings in between the two of them. What I learned is, don't use anything but genuine Timken bearings. I've had generic bearings fail in as little as 10,000 miles. One of the Timkens is going on 60k miles and still no noise.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

flyinlow

The bearings are getting noisy. Originals lasted about 80k . Autozone did not make 30 k. Carquest premeium grade have gone about 50 k. and the first one is noisy.

Tilar

The only things I will buy from Autozone are non wear items and parts that go on cars that I buy just to resell. My dad bought new hubs for his car from autozone and they lasted about a year and a half, which for him is about 10k miles.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

flyinlow

Yea, I try to only buy name brand items at the zone.  I would like to see the AZ nascar race with duralast brakes and rotors on it.

The local Carquest has supplied alot of USA made parts for my Charger. They said they would replace the hub bearings. I will ask if they are Timken.

Wondered if I was doing something wrong , but I guess they don't last the life of the car.

I was replacing the rear wheelbearing with every tire change on my Valkyrie. Buddy has a needle grease gun and he showed me how to pry the seal back and grease these "permenent sealed" bearing ,no more trouble. I thought about tying this with the hub bearings.

Tilar

Sealed bearings barely have any grease in them. I always pull the seal out and pack a little more grease in them.

If those hub bearings have the rubber seal, you should be able to do it fairly easy.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

B5charger

stay away from any sealed bearings no matter what the make.  I agree that they come with very little grease in them to start with.  Get a greasable one and every oil change put a shot or two in them.  After 2 sets of hubs/bearings in 80K the ones I have now, I grease and so far so good.

flyinlow