News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear defroster with intergal antennae in transplanted into older car

Started by mauve66, October 17, 2010, 09:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauve66

has anyone ever tried this?? i was looking at the wifes concorde and wondering where the radio antennae was hiding in the car and read in the repair manual that it was part of the rear defroster wiring.  since the 1st gen has a larger rear window than the concorde i was thinking of putting it in (windows will be tinted anyway so it wont be so instantly obvious when looking at the car

i know some have just laid a smaller antennae down behind the dash but always heard that leaves something to be desired in the reception department

any other issues with this idea??

i was going to just use one of those "shark fin" antennaes from a BMW but was told those were just for the satelite radio and wouldn't work for regular radio reception
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

doctor4766

So you're going to try and fit the smaller rear window in behind your Charger's rear glass so you can have a demister?
Or am I not getting you right?
Gotta love a '69

mauve66

no, the defogger/antennae grid isn't inside the glass, its on the outside so i should just be able to buy it and place it on the stock 1st gen glass
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

doctor4766

Those are typically etched onto the window during the glass manufacturing process.
I really don't think you can just buy one and fit it to anything you like.
Gotta love a '69

mauve66

etched onto the outside of the glass?? ok, time for a trip to the dealer to check, thanks
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Ghoste

I thought they were applied to the inside of the glass with an adhesive??

mauve66

thats what it looks like to me, its definitely on the inside of the glass, you can feel it with your finger, break it with a knife.  i was looking at wholesale parts places and they have the power and ground feed for the defroster but won't show anything for the antennae ecept a mast replacement.  i'll try to go by the dealer and see
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

doctor4766

Quote from: mauve66 on October 19, 2010, 08:58:57 AM
etched onto the outside of the glass?? ok, time for a trip to the dealer to check, thanks

No the inside of the glass.(As in the inside surface) It's very similar to how a circuit board is made.
Basicly, if you're trying to simulate a modern car's rear demister/antenna in your backglass it aint happening.
And those el cheapo stick on ones from the 70's wont allow you to tiint the window with it on as the metal strips are too thick for the film to sit over.
Gotta love a '69