News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I use this manifold in my 68?

Started by ktneifert09, October 16, 2010, 02:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktneifert09

I bought this manifold for the carb on top of it.  However, I was thinking since I'm running a stock 383 and don't have a manifold, I'd try to use it.  The part number codes are BZC D N and then below that 3830949 D.  It's stamped 4.6.76 so I'm guessing that's the casting day, month, year?  It's got this funky tube sticking out - probably for some environmental stuff I don't need so I'd just plug it with a fastener.  Everything else looks normal.  Thoughts?
Plans are useless; planning is indispensible.
Especially with an old car!

terrible one

Going by part number that is a 440 intake so you won't be able to use it on your 383. You are right about that being the casting date. The thing with all the ports coming off is a vacuum tree for running accessories like vacuum headlights, power brakes, etc.

TylerCharger69

Hmmm   I don't see the "stamping pad"  where a 440 has the id stamp at the front of the intake.   Anyway....up to a 400 "B" engine will fit on there....413 up to 440  will not fit.   Can you post a pic from the front of the engine?

ktneifert09

Sorry it took a bit.  I've been on travel and my pix needed to be compressed first.  I was surprised by the first response - it seems weird that a 440 manifold would have a part number that starts 383.  Here's what the front looks like.  If there's something else you need to see, tell me and I'll take more pix this weekend.
Thanks for the help!

terrible one

Quote from: ktneifert09 on October 28, 2010, 01:37:06 PM
Sorry it took a bit.  I've been on travel and my pix needed to be compressed first.  I was surprised by the first response - it seems weird that a 440 manifold would have a part number that starts 383.  Here's what the front looks like.  If there's something else you need to see, tell me and I'll take more pix this weekend.
Thanks for the help!

I still stand behind what I said.

Here you go, 13th part number down.

http://bionicdodge.com/bionic/index.php?topic=5659.0

Or, check under the "B/RB Intake Manifold Casting Numbers" heading halfway down this page:

http://www.cowtownmopars.com/CastingNumbers.html

ACUDANUT

That carb looks like a Holley 600.  Too small for a Big Block  :Twocents:

UFO

This is stretch but I recall a aftermarket cyl head that used a RB intake on a LB.If used on a RB a spacer was needed.

ACUDANUT

I think you mean a B or RB block...Spacers ???

firefighter3931

Quote from: UFO on October 28, 2010, 10:04:11 PM
This is stretch but I recall a aftermarket cyl head that used a RB intake on a LB.If used on a RB a spacer was needed.

That would be the MP Stage VI cylinder heads.....when fitted onto a lowdeck B block the standard RB intake will bolt right up.

To the original poster : try to avoid that later style manifold as they are not performance oriented. The 1970-1971 stock cast iron intake manifolds are the best of the factory castings and there are several aftermarket choices as well....some available used and cheap.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ktneifert09

Thanks for all the points guys.  The carb is a Holley 3310-2 which I'm told is fine for my 383?

ktneifert09

Oh and it's a 750 4 bbl.  And thanks to the post that showed me the part numbers for the manifold.  Only an auto manufacturer would think that it would be good to start a part number with 383 that goes on a 440...Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing!  Learn something every day.  Now I need to go manifold hunting.  If any of you have a line on where to look, please share.  I'm just building a daily driver.

ACUDANUT

Sorry, but it's a 650 Holley...at best. Definitely not a 750. :Twocents:

Manifold

Either that is NOT a 3310, or someone has put on different float bowls that use a transfer tube (something the very common 1850 600cfm carb uses).

Look on the front, right/driver's side of the choke horn for the number that follows the word LIST. Either look up that number, or post it here and someone will let you know what it is.

ACUDANUT

Holley 750 carbs and bigger have 2 side ports for fuel....NOT in front, like yours. :Twocents:
Either you trust us or you lose. :Twocents:

ktneifert09

Geez man , everybody just take it down a notch, I'm not questioning your manhood, just trying to learn.  ::) if all I do is post stuff, have people respond "it's this" and don't ask any questions then I might as well just sell the car. I appreciate everyone's input, I clearly got ripped off for the grand total of $50 I spent on this mess on eBay. Live and learn. I'll resell it to somebody who can use it and now I know how to check stuff better in the future. Oh, and the list number on the Holley is List 3310-2 1757 which my research so far says is the Holley p/n for 750s but haven't found the meaning of 1757 yet.

ACUDANUT

Easy guy...Just trying to help...That's all.

oldcarnut

I think I have several 4 bbl manifolds in the back garage I can clear out.  While I'm pulling out some of the 4spd tranny stuff to check for somebody else I'll write down some numbers but I'm pretty sure there are 383 manifolds up there. 

ktneifert09

Thanks very much - and if anybody knows what the 1757 list number means I'd appreciate that too.  I can't find it anywhere I've looked on line for the last hour including the Holley website.  I'll keep researching. 

oldcarnut

This is what I have.  Looks like the one is for 383 your year.  If you or anyone is interested let me know.  I live in SC
David

2806 301 68-69 383 4bbl  
3830 949 75-76 440 4bbl
2806 178 68-69 440 4bbl

ktneifert09

Definitely interested. What do you want for it?

oldcarnut

ktneifert09

According to Holley's tech rep, my carb is a 3310 750 cfm built on the 175th day of 1987. They only make one list number of 3310's, the 4160 so it wasn't stamped like the others. My carb looks exactly like the pix in the tech manual so it doesn't appear to be modified. Could the guys who said it might be explain why they thought so so I can learn why?  Thanks!