News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Further to the topic of the XP Hemi

Started by Ghoste, October 16, 2010, 12:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I put this into a new topic because I think it is broader than the car in question.  What I am wondering is this; allowing as to how far gone the XP Hemi was and knowing the work that will go into bringing it back, is it just going to be a rebody now?
If it is a rebody I am left with a few troubles on my mind.  I have often been an outspoken critic of the idea of rebodying.  Truthfully I have always felt that a rebody is just a clone or recreation with a valid VIN number swapped over.  Hypocritically I have also been pretty outspoken about the idea of saving this car exactly as it was.  Is it a restoration, is it a restomod, is it a clone?
I remember well the controversy in the DOH camp regarding the GL1 car.
This one could cause me to lose sleep. :smilie_help: :pullinghair:

thedodgeboys

I mean no disrespect and I do admire all the purist with original and recreated correct numbers matching cars and we need them to survive as examples as to what and how they were built.  :icon_smile_big: Sadly they all can not be saved and I believe its too late for this one.  :RantExplode:

However we can enjoy it for what it is  :cheers:

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Brock Samson

the turbine bronze '69 used for the brochures with all the '68 stuff.

bmoparmofo

Someone found the xp hemi car?   :shruggy:   Apparently I missed something... :slap:
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

tan top

good  point Ghoste  :yesnod: :scratchchin: :yesnod: but
to me thats no rebody !!  as its still some of the original car !! rebody  is if you could get a   NOS  body shell  ,  or  buy a complete  XP charger & strip it & just use the body  :scratchchin: then rebody  :yesnod:
:popcrn: :popcrn:

Quote from: bmoparmofo on October 16, 2010, 02:10:59 PM
Someone found the xp hemi car?   :shruggy:   Apparently I missed something... :slap:

:yesnod: :yesnod: :2thumbs: :popcrn:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,72866.75/topicseen.html
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Chris G.

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 16, 2010, 01:53:38 PM
the turbine bronze '69 used for the brochures with all the '68 stuff.

It's not the brochure car.

bmoparmofo

Quote from: tan top on October 16, 2010, 02:11:48 PM
to me thats no rebody !!  as its still some of the original car !! rebody  is if you could get a   NOS  body shell  ,  or  buy a complete  XP charger & strip it & just use the body  :scratchchin: then rebody  :yesnod:
:popcrn: :popcrn:

Quote from: bmoparmofo on October 16, 2010, 02:10:59 PM

:yesnod: :yesnod: :2thumbs: :popcrn:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,72866.75/topicseen.html

Thanks!  :cheers:
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

Chris G.

to me thats no rebody !!  as its still some of the original car !!

What is being saved from this car?

Don't worry folks, this car will magically be reunited with it's original fender tag and broadcast sheet. There will also be some old timer who worked at Chrysler and remembers being at the photo shoot for the brochure. MCG will confirm all this in their sensationalized write up about it. You can pretty much bank on all these things happening. I'm actually surprised they revealed so much about the car on this forum.

tan top

Quote from: Chris G. on October 16, 2010, 02:29:02 PM

Don't worry folks, this car will magically be reunited with it's original fender tag and broadcast sheet. There will also be some old timer who worked at Chrysler and remembers being at the photo shoot for the brochure. MCG will confirm all this in their sensationalized write up about it. You can pretty much bank on all these things happening. I'm actually surprised they revealed so much about the car on this forum.

oh right !! so there is not !! was under the impression that some of it was  the original body shell :scratchchin: :shruggy: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

C_stripes

I read that the sequence number fits somewhere in the October range? If that is true, there is no way it was a press car at all. I know the 70 Road Runner ad car very well and can tell you that that car was built in mid June of 69. I would assume the same would be for the 69 press cars that they would be built in mid June of 68. Also, the sequence number on the ad car is very low, 100023. The projected build date was 801. So I am going to jump on the not the press car wagon.

We once parted out a 71 "I" code B-cuda. Don't know how an "I" got on the vin tag, but typos did happen.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Ghoste

But we're getting away from the historical rebody thing.  If we assume the car is as bad as some have been saying, then it's safe to say little to nothing will be left from the original car.  Is this okay?  Is it comparable to Lee1?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Ghoste on October 16, 2010, 11:50:49 PM
But we're getting away from the historical rebody thing.  If we assume the car is as bad as some have been saying, then it's safe to say little to nothing will be left from the original car.  Is this okay?  Is it comparable to Lee1?

Dude, if this is what keeps you up at night, tossing and turning,....I could only imagine if you set foot out in the real world and saw the issuses that others have just surviving from day to day.....geez, it just a hunk of metal, get over it.....

elacruze

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 17, 2010, 02:30:05 AM

Dude, if this is what keeps you up at night, tossing and turning,....I could only imagine if you set foot out in the real world and saw the issuses that others have just surviving from day to day.....geez, it just a hunk of metal, get over it.....

It's not the metal, it's the method.
Many could benefit from as much consideration of moral and ethical issues.
The search for truth is never a waste of time.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Brock Samson

I thought there was one turbine bronze XP Hemi Charger as photographed in the pitchers, white top '68 dash, sorry if I was incorrect and caused any confusion...

FlatbackFanatic

If they make the parts to rebuild it, why not. If you got the money to do it, why not? Any Charger saved is a Charger saved. Just my  :Twocents:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

Ghoste

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 17, 2010, 02:30:05 AM
But we're getting away from the historical rebody thing.  If we assume the car is as bad as some have been saying, then it's safe to say little to nothing will be left from the original car.  Is this okay?  Is it comparable to Lee1?

It's a figure of speech dude, and I spend the majority of my time in the real world.  I spend some of my time here to get away from it and relax a little bit.  Geez I'm well aware that it's a chunk of metal.  What did you think, I was going to blow my brains out because someone was hacking up a rare old car? ::)

ccr-host

Quote from: Chris G. on October 16, 2010, 02:29:02 PM

Chris,

I can assure you, there will be no fender tag magically appearing. There will be no broadcast sheet found in some dusty archive. Galin Govier has confirmed these things are lost. AND there will be no "old timer" who worked at Chrysler who also attended the photo shoot appearing on our show. We leave those games to Discovery Channel shows  ;). What you'll see is our honest, best effort to rebuild this great car. It will be an interesting journey without resorting to tricks. I hope you'll enjoy it.

Our motto is: "Real Television not Reality TV. It's Real cars, Real techs, Real cars, with Real deadlines."

C_stripes

CCR,

I would assume that the reason some people speculate that that could happen is that it has happened all to often in the "HOBBY". Either way, the car is a cool car. Seeing that it is supposedly the only XP29J car known to exist, I do find it a bit of a shame to build it anyway other than stock. Trust me, I am not a purist. But when a car has significance like that one is supposed to, it is more of a museum piece. Other than the cars that have major historical value, I say enjoy it and build it how you want. Either way, the car is yours to choose how to build. The other thing is, is if it is really sequenced to have been built in or around the third month of production. There is no way that it was the promo car. Even the early built promo cars all had sequence numbers. Other numbers may have been left out for a short time. Example is the 70 Runner ad car. The fender tag says E87 but the vin number on the fender tag has no V almost as if they didn't know what letter they would use. But it did have a full sequence number. It really is sad that the fender tag wasn't there, I would have liked to see it (as would everyone else).

Anyway, good luck on the build. I would love to see some more as found pics if you have any.

Later, Jeremy
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

The70RT

I guess it will retain just as much original sheet metal a certain other hemi car resto on here and everyone excepted it  :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ccr-host

Folks,

There is a lot of speculation over what this car is or is not. Is it a promo car? The brochure car? A VIN typo? A replica of the promo car, etc? It could also have been built to the brochure specs for event touring too. IF there were definitive proof of its pedigree, then it would be a museum car. But, there is none. No fender tag. No broadcast sheet. It would be sad to see this car lost to decay. But, it would be sad to also treat it as something unique if it's merely a typo. It's all speculative... but all very intriguing too.  As I noted on the other thread; the mild upgrades we are doing can all be reversed if positive proof is ever uncovered. Until then, we're gonna have one great performing Charger!

The big question is: How will it perform on the track against the C6 Corvette?

Chris G.

Quote from: ccr-host on October 17, 2010, 01:57:02 PM
Chris,
I can assure you, there will be no fender tag magically appearing. There will be no broadcast sheet found in some dusty archive. Galin Govier has confirmed these things are lost. AND there will be no "old timer" who worked at Chrysler who also attended the photo shoot appearing on our show. We leave those games to Discovery Channel shows  ;). What you'll see is our honest, best effort to rebuild this great car. It will be an interesting journey without resorting to tricks. I hope you'll enjoy it.

CCR Host, my comments weren't directed towards you, but rather the owner of the car.

When you say Galin (BTW it's Galen) has confirmed the tag and sheet are lost, does that means they are gone forever? I don't understand why people still think of him as the "Bible" of everything Mopar related. There are so many people out there who know so much about Mopar history and don't even charge to tell, but the mis-informed still pay GG to show up and make claims that aren't 100% accurate. I am amazed his name still carries the same clout it did when the boom hit 8 years ago.

UFO

Quote from: ccr-host on October 17, 2010, 02:57:19 PM

we're gonna have one great performing Charger!

I see Ray Barton is on the credits.
I assume they are building the hemi, correct?
What mods are gonna be done to the vette?
Straight line will be a good race,depending on susp mods the charger might not do so good around corner's.
Those 40 years of suspension technology will help the vette.
Your probably gonna make us wait and watch aren't you. :lol:

ccr-host

Quote from: UFO on October 17, 2010, 03:35:34 PM
Quote from: ccr-host on October 17, 2010, 02:57:19 PM

we're gonna have one great performing Charger!

I see Ray Barton is on the credits.
I assume they are building the hemi, correct?
What mods are gonna be done to the vette?
Straight line will be a good race,depending on susp mods the charger might not do so good around corner's.
Those 40 years of suspension technology will help the vette.
Your probably gonna make us wait and watch aren't you. :lol:

Yes, the Vette is going to be a killer. Phadt suspension and an Edelbrock Supercharger are the big changes. But, it's also loaded with audio and we're racing in a straight line. The Charger has Bill Reilly's "Lynx" rear suspension a Ray Barton built engine (that's all I'll say) Keislers new transmission, a Dana 60, drag slicks, and Dave Barton behind the wheel. Yes, I will make you wait to see it on TV before I give any results. But, I'd love to read the speculation!

charge69

Well,  the vette is already a low 12 second car and with the stated improvements, it  should be an eleven second car easily.  The Charger is a much bigger and heavier car but, do not discount it at all.  I'll say the "OLD-School" Charger is the winner in a straight line. No need for the Dana though as it just adds about 100 lbs. to the equation and an 8 3/4 is plenty. That is even with the stick tranny.