News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sway bar differences?

Started by ChargerST, November 05, 2010, 04:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerST

What's the difference of a hollow and solid sway bar performance wise? I know that the hollow ones weight less but are larger in diameter. Summit sells the hollow Hellwig bars for $163 (55904) and the solid ones for $193 (5904). I always thought that the hollow ones are more desirable because of reduced weight and added stiffness?

HPP

A hollow bar will have reduced resistance compared to an identically sized solid bar, which is why they tend to be a larger OD. A 1.25 hollow bar should be close to the same resistance of a 1.125 solid bar, so there is a reasonably close interchange. Since so many cars out there still use bars that are under 1", going to a 1.125 hollow bar will help step up performance while loosing weight, both good things.

Mike DC

Yeah.  The hollow bars are really not quite as stiff as the solid ones.  But when you swap out a solid bar for a slightly larger hollow bar for the same final resulting stiffness, the latter hollow setup weighs less than the original smaller solid bar did. 

ChargerST

So getting the 1 1/4" hollow bar saves weight and money compared to the 1 1/8" bar while retaining the same stiffness? Interesting  :shruggy:

Only issue would be if I can fit a 1 1/4" through my 70 Charger K-frame.