News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacement studs

Started by PatrickPeeters, October 15, 2010, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrickPeeters

I had to replace my studs, some one (T.x.s-T.y-B.x) used wrong lugnuts and damaged the old ones :brickwall:

I tried to pull them in with tightening the lugsnut (without wheel).
Some how I can't get em all the way in  :flame:

Does any one know what is the easiest way to do this?
Or done this an made some pics?

Thanks Patrick
Patrick  :punkrocka:

elacruze

Any local auto machine shop should have a press for that, maybe even a well-equipped farmer.

A very, very long time ago I had a 12x12x18" piece of white oak with a hole for the hub and a bunch of holes for studs, and hammered them home with a 5lb sledge hammer.

Whatever you do, be sure you don't hammer against the bearings and be sure the drum mounting surface is well supported or you'll bend or break the hub.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

jaak

Ive replaced several studs on several different vehicles (including my charger) and always do it the same way.
Put the stud in place, place a washer or two on it, then put on a lug nut (backwards) so the flat side of the nut is pushing on the washer (not the seat), then use an open end wrench to tighten the nut and pull the washer through. Works every time.

Jason

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: jaak on October 16, 2010, 09:41:40 AM
Ive replaced several studs on several different vehicles (including my charger) and always do it the same way.
Put the stud in place, place a washer or two on it, then put on a lug nut (backwards) so the flat side of the nut is pushing on the washer (not the seat), then use an open end wrench to tighten the nut and pull the washer through. Works every time.

Jason

Thanks I will try it need to find a nut who isn't closed on the "backwards" side up.

Thanks again Patrick

jaak

Quote from: PatrickPeeters on October 17, 2010, 07:49:00 AM
Quote from: jaak on October 16, 2010, 09:41:40 AM

Jason

Thanks I will try it need to find a nut who isn't closed on the "backwards" side up.

Thanks again Patrick

Yeah I meant to mention that in my original post, usually when I go pick up the studs at the parts house, I buy an open lug nut also (if I don't already have one).

Jason

PatrickPeeters

Hi,

Asked in the shop for an open lug nut, and guess what I got 1 for free
Tried it and worked like a charm..
Thanks again.

jaak

Quote from: PatrickPeeters on November 01, 2010, 01:29:26 PM
Hi,

Asked in the shop for an open lug nut, and guess what I got 1 for free
Tried it and worked like a charm..
Thanks again.

Glad it worked out for you  :2thumbs: I have been doing it that way for years.

Jason

bull

PatrickPeeters

Got my open lugnut for free..........so gonna buy some other stuff for that money.
But guess there are cheaper tools then snapon.

gtx6970

Quote from: bull on November 04, 2010, 11:53:49 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on November 04, 2010, 08:02:05 PM
I cheat, I have one of these and it works perfectly every time

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=56232&group_ID=1659&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

It had better work perfect for $102. :eek2:

I didn't say it was cheap. I said it works . and when you remove a couple hundred sets of tires/wheels per year. your going to break your share of wheel studs and this is the most cost effective way to replace said stud , especially for a flat rate tech

PatrickPeeters

If you need it that often definitly won't go for cheap...... :2thumbs:

Replaced 10 of them and guessing after this project is finished the next project is the first in need of replacement studs....would be somewhere next year....

But I will keep in mind if I need more replaced, it is an option....

bull

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 05, 2010, 02:15:44 PM
Quote from: bull on November 04, 2010, 11:53:49 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on November 04, 2010, 08:02:05 PM
I cheat, I have one of these and it works perfectly every time

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=56232&group_ID=1659&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

It had better work perfect for $102. :eek2:

I didn't say it was cheap. I said it works . and when you remove a couple hundred sets of tires/wheels per year. your going to break your share of wheel studs and this is the most cost effective way to replace said stud , especially for a flat rate tech

I'd definitley buy them if I were doing this a lot, but obviously not for one job. I wonder if anyone rents them out?

PatrickPeeters

:scratchchin: :scratchchin:
What would you ask for renting it out.