News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will we ever see the sunken rear window again?

Started by Charger440RDN, October 13, 2010, 08:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger440RDN

Since we have thread about hideaway headlights, it's only appropriate to ask if the sunken rear window will ever return on any new car? This was an excellent design feature and made the 2nd gen one of the best looking from the rear. Has any manufacturer even done this since the 60's???

Ghoste

I would have to think the aerodynamic costs are too high.  Modern CAFE standards don't permit much in the way of wind drag.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

miller

The 2006 to 2010 Charger had a sunken rear window....

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Mike DC

Put a small enough engine in it and just about any aero design becomes CAFE feasible. 

Maybe that's what we need.  A 4-banger Charger that looks like the real thing and is factory equipped with the wiring harness & engine mounts needed for a V8 swap.

bull

If they need to keep aerodynamics and yet want to build a retro Charger they could simply base it on the C500.

doctor4766

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 13, 2010, 08:28:06 PM
Since we have thread about hideaway headlights, it's only appropriate to ask if the sunken rear window will ever return on any new car? This was an excellent design feature and made the 2nd gen one of the best looking from the rear. Has any manufacturer even done this since the 60's???

Sorry for using the F word but this is Ford Australia's effort in the early 70's.
In fact the rear glass is shaped similarly to the Dart ie almost concave

There have also been Ferrari's and Toyota MR2's that have had "sunken" rear screens over the years.
Gotta love a '69

chargd72

Aftermarket companies are making them.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

daytonalo

Aero426

Charger440RDN

Quote from: chargd72 on October 14, 2010, 08:50:08 AM

Call me crazy but I think I kind of like it  :lol: That sunken rear window instantly makes the new Charger look better

bull

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 14, 2010, 01:32:44 PM

Call me crazy but I think I kind of like it  :lol: That sunken rear window instantly makes the new Charger look better

Amazing isn't it how much time, money and effort has been spent on trying to make the new "Charger" look like a Charger? Even Chrysler is finally trying to get in on it; albeit too little, too late.

Charger440RDN

Quote from: bull on October 14, 2010, 05:41:05 PM
Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 14, 2010, 01:32:44 PM

Call me crazy but I think I kind of like it  :lol: That sunken rear window instantly makes the new Charger look better

Amazing isn't it how much time, money and effort has been spent on trying to make the new "Charger" look like a Charger? Even Chrysler is finally trying to get in on it; albeit too little, too late.

Yeah they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble and controversy if they had designed the damn thing right to begin with. Especially putting the Charger name on it. :eyes: The new design is better but it still sucks.....that front end................... :puke:

daytonalo

It still has too many doors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a mess ..............................................

aussiemuscle

Quote from: daytonalo on October 17, 2010, 09:50:53 PM
It still has too many doors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .............................................
but if you were buying a two door, wouldn't you get a challenger or a Corvette? i mean, if you are going to spend that much on a new car...?

daytonalo

hemi68charger

That looks like the Mexican Darts......... An after-thought............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 13, 2010, 08:28:06 PM
Not to upset you Mopar guys but someone told me the 2nd gen sail panel design is a copy of the popular 66 67 GTO roofline. They do look very similar.  Nothing wrong with that, any truth to it?

Ghoste

Obviously the idea came from there but the Charger crew made it attractive.  The half hearted attempt on those bent looking GM cars was, well, not so much.

Brock Samson

I read it was to give the Charger a more "fastback" roof line, the term is "Tunnel Back" and first came into play on Italian sports cars so that in profile they would have a "Fast Back", in the original design sketchs for the second Gen. it did not have the tunnel and sure looked a lot like a convertable '68 Sting Ray with the roof on... see the pics below...

Ghoste

A cheaper way of keeping the fastback profile of the 1st gens.

Brock Samson

admit it though, if the '68 Charger had a Coronet roof line it wouldn't look nearly as sweet.  :'(

Ghoste

If the Charger had the Coronet roofline, then it may as well have been a Coronet.

Charger440RDN

Did the designer on the Charger come to Chrysler from GM? I thought I read that somewhere, that would explain the similar body lines to the 67 Pontiac GTO and 67 Chevelle. Before 68 all of mopar designs were extremely boxy looking

Ghoste

I think at that time everyone was likely trying to look over GM's shoulder.