News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reviewing Top Gear’s Richard Hammond ‘68 R/T Charger Review

Started by Rustymuscle, October 13, 2010, 03:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

I see history channel it advertising a US version of TOP GEAR coming out , that should be a train wreck   :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

six-tee-nine

I kinda had the feeling this would turn out in a gunfight between the US and Europe.

I have no idea what new cars cost in America, and we can spend hours talking about fine German engineering and the superior built Quality of todays Audis or Mercedes' but as an average working joe I can't afford one of these cars new and have to settle with second hand.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

mikesbbody

Wow... If this gets you that upset, how do you react about important stuff?
I'm from Europe, and my daily driver is french.. I'll level with you, it'll corner the shit out of my charger.. There, I said it... Now, having said that, must I now go sell my charger or am I allowed to keep it because I didn't buy it for it's cornering capabilities?
[/quote]

Trust me I'm not upset I didn't but my charger to it's cornering (or lack of) capabilities either give me a nice straight road anyday! you can sell if you want it makes no difference to me. I am just surprised people who dump on these car's actually own them doesn't make any sense to me  :shruggy: I mean look at mefirst what came out of his country? Volvo (gay) and Abba (even worse) I spoke to another Swede from this site who told me there are 2 types of "car guy's" over there in Sweden (pretty much the same the world over I'm guessing) 1. those who are truely passionate about their cars and 2. those who own them for status because their "cool" they get attention guy's who pay others to work on them etc I'm willing to bet which one he is...I havent heard any examples of why uk/euro cars are better yet I have shared my sorry experiences with you all. I honestly thought more American Members would not take kindly to some Idiot talking crap about their cars I guess I was wrong so much for American Pride huh?
I agree with the earlier comment give me American Muscle anyday! I'd drive a Aussy Falcon or Commodore
Before I'd drive anything European  :Twocents: anyway I'm done here Im not here to talk about  :girlfight: cars I'm here for the Chargers  :cheers:

Ghoste

Perhaps fewer jumped in because when someone closes their opinion by stating that if you don't agree with them  then you're a twit, it pretty much shows that reasonable debate will be ignored and personal opinion will be not only out of the question but subject to childish mockery.  Why make discussion with someone like that?
I siad before and I will again, having driven a huge variety of cars from around the world you find amazing parity when compared within the same price points throughout the automotive history. 

Lennard

Quote from: mikesbbody on October 20, 2010, 02:42:39 AM
not take kindly to some Idiot talking crap about their cars I guess I was wrong so much for American Pride huh?
:cheers:

I'm not American, i just live here but my opinion about this is...

Belgium R/T -68

I imagine with my 30 years in automotive I have similar experience as Ghoste and can only agree
to his statement. As for Mikeb, I'm Swedish and have worked for the "gaycompany" you mentioned
for almost 30 years and except for design which is all his like or dislike I don't think they are better or worse then the competition in their pricerange. Just because you have a disagreement with one person doesn't mean you have to backtalk a whole nation, Sweden just like USA has many things to be proud of but also things to be less proud of.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Brock Samson

Tom you sure waded out into the cess pool with those comments... Noone seems to remember you anymore I see...  :lol:
 Natch you missed the point too... your parents four door Merc. is a better car then your third Gen?.. wow suprise, suprise...
 Try a second Gen. B- Body some time.  :yesnod:
  Sweden no longer has a car industry, who runs Volvo and Saab now?..
  Who runs Range Rover and Rolls and Mini and Aston?.. lettuce not forget the H ighlight of British auto engineering the Rover...
   I saw the Top Gear review of the Camaro a couple days back, and they gave credit to the Austrians who Chevy had to go to to get a decent car is the Paraphrase... Austria is closer to England therefor better then America...
Anyhow what was this thread about? oh, the Top Gear charger review that has come up a least a few times before...
you guys are like kittens teased with a length of string.
an interesting dog pile but ain't this guy got his own website?..  :shruggy:
BTW: it's "to" not too and "their" not there... not to be confused with they're... Oh wait, I guess I forgot where I am.. :shruggy:

Mefirst

Quote from: mikesbbody on October 20, 2010, 02:42:39 AM
Trust me I'm not upset I didn't but my charger to it's cornering (or lack of) capabilities either give me a nice straight road anyday! you can sell if you want it makes no difference to me. I am just surprised people who dump on these car's actually own them doesn't make any sense to me  :shruggy: I mean look at mefirst what came out of his country? Volvo (gay) and Abba (even worse) I spoke to another Swede from this site who told me there are 2 types of "car guy's" over there in Sweden (pretty much the same the world over I'm guessing) 1. those who are truely passionate about their cars and 2. those who own them for status because their "cool" they get attention guy's who pay others to work on them etc I'm willing to bet which one he is...I havent heard any examples of why uk/euro cars are better yet I have shared my sorry experiences with you all. I honestly thought more American Members would not take kindly to some Idiot talking crap about their cars I guess I was wrong so much for American Pride huh?
I agree with the earlier comment give me American Muscle anyday! I'd drive a Aussy Falcon or Commodore
Before I'd drive anything European  :Twocents: anyway I'm done here Im not here to talk about  :girlfight: cars I'm here for the Chargers  :cheers:

Mike, I think you should crawl back into your little hole and put yourself out of your misery you sad uptight little F..k!

My :Twocents:

68r/t

Road Dog

Coming from someone (me) that didn't recently just jump into a Charger and drive it the Charger needs makes no excuses and needs none. As with any muscle car of it's day the Charger could be better in handing, braking, it's loud , lots of torque, the smell of high test and has over boosted power steering. Would I change anything? No, because it is what I grew up with. Back in the 70's these muscle cars were what alot of us drove. At that time they were used cars nobody wanted. When I get behind the wheel I want those things (some might call flaws) in the car. It takes me back in time and recaptures an era long gone. Anything less just wouldn't cut it. So, what I feel about the car is really all that matters and not what someone else thinks because unless they come from where I've been they really wouldn't understand anyways.  
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Rustymuscle

I'm really amazed how heated this has gotten. My initial umbrage with the original (and as stated by Brock, significantly dated) video are that:

A) the review on this particular '68 Charger is intrinsically flawed. Were the Charger a 100% restoration (or survivor), then a honest review could be made. Doing a review on a modded, unoriginal enthusiast's car is unreliable at best;

B) the show's roots are in entertainment, not balanced and measured reviewing. While this is widely understood, too often the butt of their jokes is the American manufacturing juggernaut. Returning to the same well over and over again is as old and tired as your co-worker's Austin Powers impressions;

C) comparing the '68 Charger's handling, braking, acceleration, weight, or any other dynamic against anything other than the intermediate muscle cars of the same period is not comparing apples-to-apples, but something as ludicrous as comparing apples-to-potato salad;

D) and ultimately, these cars are as important to America's social history as our music, architecture, movies, television, clothing and books. While acknowledging the Charger's "coolness" is a fine salute, it's detrimental to ignore the engineering and ingenuity imbued in the car as well as the Charger's impact on drag racing, stock car racing, and future automobile styling.

On a personal note, I'm not nearly as upset as my rant might have implied, please do not react to my overreaction. I merely spat and snarled in retaliation towards years of snobbish haughtiness. Maybe it's an American thing.

-Kevin
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

Long Island RT

:argue:   :coocoo:

Mom always said "if you have nothing nice to say - then don't say anything at all"   :nono:

Dad always said - Opinions are like a$$holes - everybody's got one  :moon:

Good times...good times......
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

motorcitydak

I just watched that episode last night (season 4, episode 3). I can honestly say I thought the review was fair. The car was built to go really fast in a straight line and it did that well. The suspension, as he mentioned, is very strong and well built. Most likely, it had some worn out bushings and other sloppy areas contributing to it handling the way it did. As for the brakes, who here has ever said how awesome the brakes on that car were? There is a very good reason people today restoring their car put better brakes on it. You can even find disk brakes on otherwise faithful resto's. I am watching every episode of top gear and think its a great show. They are for the most part completely honest and do real world demo's and some funny off the wall stuff that keeps it interesting. Im happy for the publicity the car got (not that it needs any) and I think it should help that hammond did actually buy one for himself after selling a 911 which he is fiercely loyal to.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

elacruze

Boo hoo my charger is my life and I'll defend it to the death, Truth be damned.

Amused,

Eric
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Landonsrt

Quote from: Mefirst on October 15, 2010, 04:17:39 AM
Now I'm really going to step into it, but here goes... America has NEVER built a great car, ever!!! You have built several cool looking cars, but never a car that handles and rides like a European car. You could offer me what ever kind/size of new American car and Id still rather have a small European hatchback, only for the simple reason, the Eurobox ride is so much better.. The concept of corners and handling seems it has never crossed the American mind, it just not in your genepool.. and that's kinda weird, cause most of you are of European decent.. something must have happend over the generations... Yes there are car that handle good over in America, but who built them.. Not Americans, its European engineering..

..well flame away.. but the more you flame, the more a twit you will be...

My :

Well, I guess you haven't read motor trend article on the zr1 vs the new 911 twin turbo AWD. Even though the 911 is AWD and beat the vette in the 1/4 mile. The ZR1 spanked it by three seconds on the road course!!!!! Don't tell me American cars can't handle or drive better than those soap box foreign piles of shit!!

And where do clarkson, may and Hammond ge the idea that we can't make good looking cars??
Alfa Romeo, fiat, Renault?? Those are some ugly ass cars!!!!!

Landonsrt

Sorry for my response being in the quote. My iPad won't let me change it.

And don't get me wrong. I love top gear. But they are very biased thinking we are all fat and lazy and don't know how to build a car.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion......

And Brock, they said austrailians.. Aka Holden.

Belgium R/T -68

In Sweden we don't only produce chines Volvos and dutch SAABs but we also design and produce
the worlds fastest serieproduced car. :smilielol: :lol:

http://www.koenigsegg.com/index.php?menu=home

Per

UH60L

"What about the "burnout contest" they had? Hammond couldn't get the Challenger to do a Burnout? WTF?"

Well, he forgot to turn off the traction control, but you would think they'd let him try again with it off....

Plus it was an automatic, so maybe not as easy as if it was a stick.

I think they were pressed ofr time, or at least how much time they could have inthe episode, so maybe he did do it again with the traction control off, and they didn't show it.

As for the whole Europe vs US car debate, I can say that every American car I have ever driven was better than any european car I have ever driven.  But then, I've never driven any european cars, so there ya go........   ;D

I'm no expert either way, but I'd say some aspects from both halves of the planet are better than others.  There will never be a "winner" in that argument.

Brock Samson

The first two cars I ever drove were Europian, first a really ugly Alpha Sports car a  '67 Spyder and red in fact, which probably has a lot to do with my furrin car taste that lasts to this day...
 Then an old fastback Volvo with bald tires I drove in the rain and drifted around corners, (we called it "skidding" in those days) both were sticks but my next was a 19 foot long Dodge 880 Custom four door Hardtop which would become my first Car...
I think a '69 Charger R/T is, in it's own way, the best of both worlds.  :shruggy:

elacruze

Volvo has made some very cool cars. P1800s are cool.

I desperately want one of these 'Suggas'

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Brock Samson

I never seen one of them before...

them Swedes got lots of time to think (up weird shi,.. er stuff)..  during the winter Months apparently...

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 22, 2010, 05:29:35 PM
I never seen one of them before...

them Swedes got lots of time to think (up weird shi,.. er stuff)..  during the winter Months apparently...

:smilielol: :cheers:

The PV544 you had I also had one during the late 70's, a 1965 Sport with double SU carbs, 1.8L.

Per