News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

interview tips

Started by andy74, December 26, 2005, 10:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

i have an interview tommorow at noon,and havent had a job interview in 5 years,any of you guys have any tips for me?the obvious ones,like dont be late,and dont bad mouth your last employer i know,is there anything else?

Blown70

Quote from: andy74 on December 26, 2005, 10:50:57 AM
i have an interview tommorow at noon,and havent had a job interview in 5 years,any of you guys have any tips for me?the obvious ones,like dont be late,and dont bad mouth your last employer i know,is there anything else?

Drop a few F-bomb on the way in...... LOL  Sorry,  Kidding.

I have no advice.  I hate interviews... That is why I have my own business.

Tom

RD

do not say that you are unable to do something.  make sure you dress one step above your interviewer.  maintain constant eye contact, sit up straight in your chair (no slouching), do not cross your legs, give a firm handshake at introduction, if there is a receptionist talk to her as if she was interviewing you (bosses ask them occasionally what they thought of interviewees), and lastly show quantitative data that shows your successes in your employment history.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

andy74

i figured i ll save the f words for my old boss!!!!this guy owns a dodge chrysler jeep store about 25 miles the opposite direction from my current job.he actually sought nme out,they need a new car sales manager,with chrysler dodge and jeep background,and heard about me from 2 dozen customers that we stole from him!i just hung up with him,and he sounds pretty cool-wish me luck

Blown70

Quote from: andy74 on December 26, 2005, 10:56:43 AM
i figured i ll save the f words for my old boss!!!!this guy owns a dodge chrysler jeep store about 25 miles the opposite direction from my current job.he actually sought nme out,they need a new car sales manager,with chrysler dodge and jeep background,and heard about me from 2 dozen customers that we stole from him!i just hung up with him,and he sounds pretty cool-wish me luck

Sounds like you somewhat have a shoe in the door when they sought you out.     I will say this ASK them questions.   TO me from what I understand ANDY, this should be as much an interview for them as it is for you....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Afflyer

Go get 'em Andy!

Good luck.

Bradley
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

nh_mopar_fan

Be straight, be direct, don't BS.

Good luck, Andy.

greenpigs

Quote from: andy74 on December 26, 2005, 10:56:43 AM

Try a new face

You make your own luck, so go sober
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Brock Samson

let em know your a MOPARIAN, drive up in your Charger, I bet that'll make a difference.  :icon_smile_wink: Go Get 'em!

73dodge

Quote from: RD on December 26, 2005, 10:56:07 AM
do not say that you are unable to do something.

not a good idea, they may put in a position that may require you to do what you are unable to do. And then you will be looked upon as a liar. Trust me I have seen this happen time and time again, you ask someone if they can do such and such they lie and say it's not a problem then they get hired and put in the position that requires them to perform the task asked about and it becomes very obvious that they lied about their skills.

1. Be honest if they ask you about something that you don't know how to do then come right out and tell them. "Sorry I don't have a background with that, but I don't believe it will be a problem for me to learn to do that task"

2. Don't use slang like "like" "ya know" and "whatever" try to sound professional.

3. try to emphasise your strong points, such and technical skills any customer relation skills that kind of thing.

4. Look the interviewer in the eye, constantly looking away and not making eye contact makes you look like you are be dishonest.

Good luck man
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

andy74

thanks for all the ideas guys,except green.
so i shouldnt call him a dick head,and put my beer on his desk?

just kidding! i hope it all goes well,im tired of the bullshit at my current place

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Blown70

Quote from: andy74 on December 26, 2005, 01:38:42 PM

just kidding! i hope it all goes well,im tired of the bullshit at my current place

Actually you should drive up in the charger, do a donut in the front lot...Get out with 4 out of a six pack missing... when you greet as him HOW the F*&^ it is going?  Hand him the other beer while you sip on one. 

Head into the office for the interveiw and sit in his chair....LOL

TOM :P

PocketThunder

you're pissed that you didnt get a bonus this year huh?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

dkn1997

I just interviewed and hired someone last week, so it's still fresh in my mind.  I would say Keep it simple.  Never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut.  I would ask some  questions about the company, but don't ask about breaks or lunch hours, that just makes it look like you are clock watcher.

also, sounds like you are interested in a management position.  I would emphasize that while you want the department to have good morale, you are not there to make friends.  Nobody wants to hire a softee to be the boss.

RECHRGED

is_it_EVER_done?

I just read an article that said that over 45% of interviewers would not consider hiring someone that did not send an after interview thank you note! I found that astonishing, but the same article stated that 60% of those recently hired had sent a "thank you" email or note, so it sure wouldn't hurt to email a "great to have met you, thanks for the interview" note as soon as you get home.

Oh yeah, don't forget to talk about how ugly the new Charger is, and how much better the new Mustang design is.  :icon_smile_wink:

bull

Good eye contact shows confidence. And remember, an interview shouldn't just be a potential employee kissing butt and begging for a job, it should be a time for you to learn what to expect and if what they are offering is a good fit for your needs. So ask the questions you need to ask. The thank you note is a good idea too.

I hope it all goes well,im tired of the bullshit at my current place

Aren't we all? Usually you just trade one set of problems for another when you switch jobs. It just takes a few years to realize it sometimes.

Shakey

If a chick is interviewing you, try and play footsies with her under the table.  If she protests, tell her she has a nice rack, even if she doesn't - they love that!   :D

twilt

Quote from: Shakey on December 26, 2005, 06:40:02 PM
If a chick is interviewing you, try and play footsies with her under the table.  If she protests, tell her she has a nice rack, even if she doesn't - they love that!   :D

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

first tip, interview below the Mason-Dixon line. Its too F`n cold in NY , not enough good old cars and junkyards.   ;D

greenpigs

You know your stuff and he knows that also, so the interview is not as important as coming in as an unknown. It's too late for advice now I guess, but just answers his questions, be polite or try and maybe mention the fact you own a 3rd gen  Charger. The guy might be a REAL Mopar guy or just a business man you'll find out by mentioning the fact you own an old one.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

andy74

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 26, 2005, 02:59:50 PM

you're pissed that you didnt get a bonus this year huh?
it is nt just the bonus that bothers me,its the fact of how promises have been made and not lived up to,and the general mood around the place.it used to be a great place to work,but with the owners asshole brother coming in as a partner,shit has gone down hill fast.he is not a car man,he is a lawyer-which even us car sales man dont like!sales are not what they have been,but that is partially the dealers fault also,he cut the amount of inventory we carry,and you all know you cant sell from an empty shelf.also,the manager who was supposed to retire,and i would take his place,decided he will stay for 2 or 3 more years!not to mention that damn christmas bonus

my73charger

Be prepared for the dreaded...Where do you want to be in five years question...I hate that one...I usually respond by saying I plan on having their job by then...they love it!     :icon_smile_big:

bull

Quote from: andy74 on December 27, 2005, 10:11:10 AM
it used to be a great place to work,but with the owners asshole brother coming in as a partner,shit has gone down hill fast.he is not a car man,he is a lawyer-which even us car sales man dont like!

Yup. Lawyers are defintiely much worse than used car salesmen.

PocketThunder

I walked into the interview for my current job and the boss had a huge panoramic picture of Lambeau Field on the wall and he graduated from my same College 20 years ago.  We talked about the Packers and shared some college stories for 2/3's of the interview, then i got the job! 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."