News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"It’s More Than Just Cars, Its Culture" - An Editorial

Started by Rustymuscle, October 12, 2010, 01:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustymuscle

Hey Guys. I Published This Editorial Called "Passing it Along to The Next Generation" And I'd Like to Get Your Feedback:
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/features/editorials-opinions/kevin-shaw-passing-it-along-to-the-next-generation/

There is a broadening gap between generations and I don't think enough is being done to bridge it. I was lucky, I have friends whose fathers drove Chevettes and AMC Pacers in high school when '68 GTOs were $250. Thankfully, I was taught early. Sure, many of these guys think muscle cars are "cool" but don't know how this period shaped America's history; the music, the movies, the look and feel. It's more than just cars, its culture.

Light 'em up,
Kevin Shaw
Editor
Street Legal TV
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

RECHRGD

Good article!  I can relate to it, as I grew up in the So Cal scene of the 50's and 60's.  My grandsons could not care less about the stories I have to tell or about learning to work on the car.  They're just eyeballing it as some $ in their pockets when I pass.  I'm going to be sure that it goes to a proper home before I'm gone as I stated in an earlier thread.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Dans 68

Nice article. Well written, too. What are you doing on this site?  :rofl:  Just kidding.  :2thumbs:

Thanks for posting your editorial. I do enjoy learning all I can about our car culture history. And I'm doing my bit by constantly bombarding my 10-year old daughter with hot rod (o.k., mostly Charger) trivia .  :angel:  :yesnod:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Rustymuscle

Thanks for the kind words, guys. And Dans, I've been here for like five years.

I was really put off by the tendency of guys to berate and jump down the throat of guys who were "less informed" rather than actually trying to educate (not necessarily here, but primarily on other forums). Sure, there's lots of knuckleheads out there, but they're not going to simply "go away." We need to make these "noobs" more informed, not bitter. That's what I was ultimately driving at.

-Kevin
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

Dans 68

Quote from: Rustymuscle on October 12, 2010, 07:21:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. And Dans 68, I've been here for like five years.

I know...it's just that the eruditeness of your post caught me off-guard.  ;)  

I agree with you that "Education", and not "denigration", is the best way to inform.

Dan

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Bob T

Hi Kevin,

Good article, well written and has a point of difference with the personal experience angle instead of an "editorial"

Yes, quite true, the younger generation are missing out on a whole lot of life interaction and car culture history, even viewed far from the birthplace of Musclecar central U.S.A. from our rocky outpost in the South Pacific, where the local car assembly industry shut down over 20 years ago.
We collectively though, as car enthusiasts in general, I believe , look fondly on the 60's and 70's as the golden age of muscle with a reverance that will never be shared by those of younger generations.
Maybe an 18-22 year old now will look back in 15 years and wonder why they thought turbo nissans, toyotas , facebook , playstation etc were so cool then. A broad generalisation, I know though but does have substance as well.

Cheers Bob T

Quote from: Dans 68 on October 12, 2010, 04:09:53 PM
Nice article. Well written, too. What are you doing on this site?  :rofl:  Just kidding.  :2thumbs:

Thanks for posting your editorial. I do enjoy learning all I can about our car culture history. And I'm doing my bit by constantly bombarding my 10-year old daughter with hot rod (o.k., mostly Charger) trivia .  :angel:  :yesnod:

Dan

Same, my 6 year old daughter wrote in her School holiday diary what a good time she had on that last Mopar Run I organised . Did a cool pic of my car too  :lol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

bull

Quote from: RECHRGD on October 12, 2010, 02:29:49 PM
Good article!  I can relate to it, as I grew up in the So Cal scene of the 50's and 60's.  My grandsons could not care less about the stories I have to tell or about learning to work on the car.  They're just eyeballing it as some $ in their pockets when I pass.  I'm going to be sure that it goes to a proper home before I'm gone as I stated in an earlier thread.  Bob

Bob, I'm your guy. :2thumbs: I even promise not to sell it. :icon_smile_cool:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dans 68

Quote from: bull on October 14, 2010, 05:44:03 PM
Quote from: RECHRGD on October 12, 2010, 02:29:49 PM

Bob, I'm your guy. :2thumbs: I even promise not to sell it. :icon_smile_cool:

Now, just wait a minute, Curtis.  :rofl:  I think we need to pass out our resumes before Bob makes any decisions he may regret later.... :lol:

Dan