News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cool Transmission pan oil cooler... check this out

Started by AKcharger, October 10, 2010, 08:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I saw this in a magazine somewhere a while ago and thought I'd give it try as I'll have the pan down anyway. Total cost about $25. Instructions, cut 1/2 copper tubes and JB weld® 'em to the pan and paint...Done! well I added a drain as well.
- Pan $5 at carlisle
- Copper tube $15
- JB weld® $5

BBKNARF

68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

flyinlow

I agree  :2thumbs:

Need someone with a trans temp gauge to test it. Two questions, will the heat transfer thru the JBweld? Never used the stuff, I dont know. And with there be any dissimilar metal corrosion at the steel/copper junction?

AKcharger

Good questions:
- I'm sure heat will transfer, there's still metal to metal contact the JB weld® squishes out and is mostly on the side. If it was really welded I'm sure it would be better though

- Corrosion is a threat but there's really no where for a conductor congregate. And since the steel is a more "Noble metal" I'd expect it to remain and the copper to corrode at a faster rate. Estimated time for all this to happen...long after I'm checked into a nursing home  :smilielol:

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

jpsycoboy5

this might not work im just thinking out loud but if the pipes touch and you jb weld just the outside edge of the pipe on the metal to metal contact you could put some cheap heat sink gel stuff from radioshack jb weld around it to seal the heat sink paste in and call it a day atleast that way you would know for sure it is passing the heat to the tubing not sure how much it would help but i figure every degree cooler would help  :2thumbs:
1973 dodge charger se was 318 in process of swapping in 440