News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

496 stroker build external balance?

Started by TXcharger70, October 11, 2010, 11:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

I just now realized after i was putting my 496 stroker build together that I might have a externally balanced crankshaft. Now if this is the case what are the disadvantages of this or is it not a concern or do i have to disassemble everything and take the crank to be balanced? I know the crank does not have any holes drilled so how else could i tell to confirm this is external. Its a 4.25 crank 4340 nitride w/gm rod journals

Rolling_Thunder

to the best of my knowledge - most aftermarket stroker cranks are made to be internally balanced...   the only important step is making sure the crank is balanced with the rod and piston assemblies...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

TXcharger70

well i bought my crank from this place called rps (race parts) and i got the rest of the set up with 440 source. In any case how could i tell if the crank is balanced

firefighter3931

The rotating assembly needs to be staticly & dynamicly balanced before you assemble the motor. A 4340 crank is going to be forged (internal balance) unless they made a big mistake when they machined it.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TXcharger70

Yes you guys are right. Some where in the build processes and taking the motor to the machine shop so how they didn't or i didn't tell them to balance the rotating assembly. This sucks this will be the 3rd time that i will disassemble this engine cause of stuiped mistakes. The good thing is that i found out know before I started to put everything else together and fire it up. Last night I new something was wrong, it hit me when I started to look for a harmonic balancer and saw the external and internal and that's when it hit me and started questioning it. I feel like such an idot.