News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN tag swapper busted!

Started by Alaskan_TA, October 06, 2010, 11:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

:cheers:  That's awesome.

"But officer, I didn't do anything wrong, I did a safer restoration to my car."  :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

The old ID was probably to worn to reuse :nana:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

68X426

Dragnet lives on.  :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chargerboy69

That is great.  So many of the people that do this are never caught.

I do know of a 69 Charger SE that was re-bodied as a black on black with red stripe RT/SE.  I told the current owners what they really had at Nationals a couple years ago.  Either they did not believe me, or they were in denial as they just dumped a ton of money in the car.  :shruggy:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

rav440

cool i hope they bust alot more of these sluggs .

im no writer but i think rrobinson@lnpnews.com lacks skills did he have to put " POLICE SAID " after every line i think a simple paragraph with " POLICE SAID " at the end would have made a little easier reading .  :shruggy:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Ghoste

I wonder how the rebody proponents feel about this?  :lol:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on October 07, 2010, 06:13:42 AM

So far it's been quiet but I'm sure it won't be for long.  :lol:

Maybe I should offer my new invention here too.  :D

(Sorry, no youtube infomercial yet)

There is a right way & a wrong way to do a restoration. You can't simply remove a VIN tag from an undesirable 6 cyl vehicle, then put a more desirable VIN tag from a V8 vehicle on it & call it a restoration, or even a rebody. It's a VIN tag swap. The proper way to do it is to buy my new & patented "Roto-VIN-Saver" for only $99.99 plus shipping & handling.

It holds the GOOD VIN tag from the dash board in the correct location with an adjustable arm. It also holds the sheet metal from the trunk lip (rain gutter) & the radiator support. You then cut away all the bad metal even if it's the entire car & slide the solid body, I mean patch body under it & weld & rivet away.

Order it before midnight tonight & I'll even throw in the custom deluxe, properly shaded, white out for broadcast sheets.    :2thumbs:

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

stripedelete

Quote from: chargerboy69 on October 06, 2010, 03:48:53 PM
That is great.  So many of the people that do this are never caught.

I do know of a 69 Charger SE that was re-bodied as a black on black with red stripe RT/SE.  I told the current owners what they really had at Nationals a couple years ago.  Either they did not believe me, or they were in denial as they just dumped a ton of money in the car.  :shruggy:

There is a hell of a lot more out there than people think.   In the early 80's I had a carved up, scavenged to the bone,  68 shell, behind my dad's business.  One day I walked in and he laughed and told me that he sold it for $250.   We both shrugged.

At the time there was no internet and not many other old mopars in the area.  I was mopar island.  So it took my naive, non-criminal butt, about fifteen-plus years to realize what a fender and vin tag for a red 68, r/t, 4spd, dana, was worth!!!  Even back then it would have made a $1000 car a $3500 a car and nobody was proclaiming them a "clone".  

Again, this took place 25 years ago. That's a lot of time, to switch a lot of tags, before the terms clone and re-body entered the hobby.

Todd Wilson

The old Dodge Power Wagon guys do VIN swaps all the time. The VIN's are just screwed on. They will even cut the serial# out of the frame and reweld it into another frame.

Todd

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 07, 2010, 08:02:26 AM

There is a right way & a wrong way to do a restoration. You can't simply remove a VIN tag from an undesirable 6 cyl vehicle, then put a more desirable VIN tag from a V8 vehicle on it & call it a restoration, or even a rebody. It's a VIN tag swap. The proper way to do it is to buy my new & patented "Roto-VIN-Saver" for only $99.99 plus shipping & handling.

It holds the GOOD VIN tag from the dash board in the correct location with an adjustable arm. It also holds the sheet metal from the trunk lip (rain gutter) & the radiator support. You then cut away all the bad metal even if it's the entire car & slide the solid body, I mean patch body under it & weld & rivet away.

Order it before midnight tonight & I'll even throw in the custom deluxe, properly shaded, white out for broadcast sheets.    :2thumbs:

This is hilarious.   :cheers:

nvrbdn

and i have a question, does this also come with the fender tag arm option???? i would really like to get it as a complete kit so i wouldnt have to do any altering after delivery.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Old Moparz

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 07, 2010, 11:06:48 AM

and i have a question, does this also come with the fender tag arm option???? i would really like to get it as a complete kit so i wouldnt have to do any altering after delivery.

No, a support arm like that would just get in the way.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

Am I to late on old Moparz offer?  For just $99 I can make my Daytona real :2thumbs: Does that price include the new VIN and other markings?
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Old Moparz

Quote from: 41husk on October 07, 2010, 06:35:03 PM
Am I to late on old Moparz offer?  For just $99 I can make my Daytona real :2thumbs: Does that price include the new VIN and other markings?

A new VIN tag is an extra $5 plus $19.95 shipping & handing. I use the "Paint" program in my computer, so you can have the tag in any color you prefer.

Here's a sample....
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

68X426

Old Moparz: you are brilliant.

The broadcast sheet offer clinches the deal for me. Check is in the mail.  :D

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Old Moparz

Quote from: 68X426 on October 07, 2010, 08:57:21 PM
Old Moparz: you are brilliant.

The broadcast sheet offer clinches the deal for me. Check is in the mail.  :D

Brilliant?  Not really, I'm just trying to offset the cost of parts these days.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

I wouldn't take a check to much chance for fraud :rofl:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

nvrbdn

wow, i been spending all this money for horse power and all i needed was this new tag with extra lettering. am i stupid!!! :brickwall:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Ghoste

Thanks, I just spit coffee on a work computer.

Bob T

Quote from: Ghoste on October 09, 2010, 11:42:49 PM

Similar result here.

Can i take two, that should cover Pacific rim franchise area  :2thumbs:

Quote from: 41husk on October 08, 2010, 11:41:12 AM
I wouldn't take a check to much chance for fraud :rofl:

Yes you're quite correct. Maybe I should overpay you and get you to refund me the extra $1000 .ok  :lol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Ghoste on October 09, 2010, 11:42:49 PM
Ya me too!..   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Back N Black

That's funny! where do you come up with it? and the Gorilla eating boogers is very distracting.  :smilielol: