News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keep burning out ECU's.

Started by 68coronetGLwannabe, September 30, 2010, 06:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68coronetGLwannabe

I recently purchased a 77 Cordoba. I have replaced the {chrome} ecu three times in 5 days.  The last time the car sat all night to see if it cooled down it might start. No such luck, put a new ecu on it and she fired right up. What are the chances of 3 bad ecu's? What would cause them to keep burning out?
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Cooter

One word for the "Stock Chrysler electronic Ignition blues"..........MSD......

After buring out around 10 boxes and replacing 'em over and over, carrying around extras in the glove box, I too was fed up and since going to MSD, haven't had problem one...Even the "New" ones are sh*t in quality...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

b5blue

Check the wiring and grounding, an intermittent no start problem drove me nuts, it was in the wiring.

elacruze

Quote from: b5blue on September 30, 2010, 06:30:31 PM
Check the wiring and grounding, an intermittent no start problem drove me nuts, it was in the wiring.
:iagree:

Insufficient contact between the case and body is problem #1. Use a star washer behind the box.

I have only blown one single Chrysler box in my life, and it was due to bad ground. Since taking care to be certain the ground remains intact, never had a problem.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

68coronetGLwannabe

Used a couple star washers, made sure it has a good clean ground. So far no bad wires. hope this solve the problem. Thanks for the help  :2thumbs:
"That's us in 10 years".

b5blue

Be certain the voltage regulator, firewall to block and battery to block are also grounded well.  :2thumbs:

TylerCharger69

FWIW.....I kept blowing the orange boxes......I got a cheap 17 dollar  Sorensen  Auto Zone piece  and not a problem one since

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on October 06, 2010, 08:11:40 PM
FWIW.....I kept blowing the orange boxes......I got a cheap 17 dollar  Sorensen  Auto Zone piece  and not a problem one since

That's what I have been using, the ones from Autozone. I cleaned and checked all the grounds so that should all be good now. I will be bringing it home from the paint shop tomorrow so time will tell. Thanks for all the input.
"That's us in 10 years".