News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 from a 73 motorhome??

Started by super_dave, September 28, 2010, 12:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

super_dave

Ok guys here's the question.  A 72 440 complete for $1500.00 oil pan to air filter, with 727 attached, supposedly runs fine.  If in two years or so want to increase performance do I need to:

Add new heads
Add new intake
Change cam

Is that basically it barring a rebuild?

Want to decide on this thing today if possible, sorry for not knowing the process.....thats why I'm asking. 

firefighter3931

Quote from: super_dave on October 05, 2010, 09:17:50 AM
Ok guys here's the question.  A 72 440 complete for $1500.00 oil pan to air filter, with 727 attached, supposedly runs fine.  If in two years or so want to increase performance do I need to:

Add new heads
Add new intake
Change cam

Is that basically it barring a rebuild?

Want to decide on this thing today if possible, sorry for not knowing the process.....thats why I'm asking. 

That sounds like a descent price assuming everything is in good working order. It would be nice to know what pistons are installed in this motor. Does the seller have an information available ? Parts list ?

Add ons can always come at a later date....no worries there  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

super_dave

Seller does not know history of motor unfortunately, other than he was told was stock rebuild, sat in a restoration project that died, got the motor from a friend that was involved in the restoration work of that project that got scrapped.  Is a 72 block the same as a 69, with just different heads to drop the compression? 

firefighter3931

Dave, the blocks are the same but the "stock" pistons are different. The 69 pistons will be taller for increased compression as compared to the later '72 slugs. Since this has been rebuilt there is no way of know what pistons were actually used without visually inspecting them. The easy way is to pull the heads and do a piston to deck measurement to see what you've got.

The head chamber size is pretty much the same for all open chamber factory heads (88-90cc) but a change to a closed chamber 516/915 casting will bump up the static compression a little bit.

You can make a low compression combination work but it's critical to cam it appropriately or you'll be disappointed.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

super_dave

Thanks for the info Ron, very helpful, and appreciatted :yesnod:

I guess to do it right, I can eventually build a stroker from the 69 block that I have.  Being that the 72 is complete, will save from from looking for a lot of pieces I don't have, will be much more manageable for my son to get used to driving, and will be saleable hopefully if I ever do get the stroker built.  

Project "Seizure" will live...... :2thumbs:  

Thanks also to Troy who sent me some really good considerations last week, very thorough and knowledgeable, a man with wisdom, :yesnod: much appreciatted!

firefighter3931

Quote from: super_dave on October 05, 2010, 12:06:34 PM
Thanks for the info Ron, very helpful, and appreciatted :yesnod:

I guess to do it right, I can eventually build a stroker from the 69 block that I have.  Being that the 72 is complete, will save from from looking for a lot of pieces I don't have, will be much more manageable for my son to get used to driving, and will be saleable hopefully if I ever do get the stroker built.  

Project "Seizure" will live...... :2thumbs:  

Thanks also to Troy who sent me some really good considerations last week, very thorough and knowledgeable, a man with wisdom, :yesnod: much appreciatted!

You're welcome Dave. Unless the 440 is completely mismatched it will be plenty in the short run. You can allways upgrade later after you get the car up and running. There's allways lots of power to be found with tuning the timing curve and fuel delivery.  ;)

I just saw your recent paint pics.....the car looks Killer ! Nice work  :2thumbs:

Ron