News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil pooling on back of engine behind intake manifold

Started by chargerman67, July 14, 2010, 07:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman67

I have noticed a little smoking off my block and with further investigation noticed this pooling on the back of my block behind the intake. I figured I would start to see stuff like this happening since I am driving it a couple of days a week now. I don't know if there is a gasket i need to replace or what.
   let me know your thoughts gentlemen,

thanks-

Luther
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

chargerman67

I couldn't move the picture, but I'm sure you noticed it should have been flipped once clockwise....
67 Dodge Charger 440
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

twinscrew698

Replace the valley pan and gasket and make sure u put some silicone at the seams where the head and block come together under the pan, both Front and Rear!

Long Island RT

Big Block?  Could be the oil sending unit too.  If the oil is pooling in the same spot as where it screws in - I'd try to fix that first.  A little pipetape works great.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

charger2fast4u

that looks exactly like my engine i have a puddle that forms back there every couple days after i wipe it clean. i believe it is the intake/valley pan area it leaks from somebody correct me if i'm wrong and what the fix is because i need to fix mine also. i already have a  new valley pan ready to go in anyways since i'm going to swap manifolds whenever i get a chance.

b5blue

You need gaskets above and below the valley pan. They make several thicknesses and you should ether have an assortment or check with shimming for the ones to fit proper. It's a pain in the butt but worth it, to thick and the intake fits slightly high. To low and it will leak oil on top of the pan, it puddles in the back like you guys are talking about. I had to ream my intake holes (a little) to get my intake on as I had a thicker set than needed. (and no time to order thinner ones) I used "Gasketcinch" to place one set on the intake and one set to the heads, a VERY light coat of grease on valley intake surface helps it "seat" in the sandwich. Use a good size blob of RTV in all 4 corners of the "china-wall's" gaskets where the intake and heads meet the block and your good to go. As heads are milled or surfaced they move down slightly widening the the tolerance to the intake's face for the head mating surface. Some don't need it at all, mine did, it's a variable. 

TylerCharger69

I test fit my valley pans  before bolting them into place.   I dont use any gaskets except for silicone around the coolant entries  and on the ends and the corners...and i never had a problem.  Sometimes  if the heads are shaved excessively....it may cause a misalignment  or aftermarket intakes may cause this too.   Im willing to bet its leaking from underneath the valley pan though

charger2fast4u

whats the best size gaskets to use on the two sides of the valley pan that use the stock heads without any milling done to the block or heads? and whats the best sealant to use? should i put sealant around all the ports on the gaskets on top and bottom of the valley pan? and around all the corners of the engine block?

Sublime/Sixpack

Interesting.   I've never used anything but the gasket (pan) itself, with a little silicone in the corners. And no leaks! Of course the heads on my RB and B engines have only been surfaced, not heavily milled.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

TylerCharger69

I agree   just the pan itself  and a little silicone on the ends and the corners....

chargerman67

I installed a felpro pan and gaskets and so far no leak. I also used silicon like you all suggested.
:2thumbs:
thanks,

Luther
67 Dodge Charger 440
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

charger2fast4u

What size gaskets did you end up using? Did you use 2 sets of gaskets? One set under the pan  and one set on top? Also where did you use silicone at?

chargerman67

I ordered part number FPP-1215 from summitracing.com. The link is http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FPP-1215/
It was very easy to do. I used a quick drying cement adhesive (thats what they said to use) to put a set of gaskets on top and bottom of pan (so yes, two sets of gaskets). Then I used a thin bead of silicone on top and bottom of the gaskets and  on the front and back of the valley pan itself (just the bottom). It doesn't hurt to use the silicone so I wanted to make sure it wrapped around the entire valley pan. I didn't use an excessive amount so it wont ooze over into the valley when I cranked it down or anything.
   As I said, it was very easy. Everything fit on like a glove when it was time to put her back together. One thing you might want to note and I'm not sure if people will disagree with me here but I didn't remove the carburetor. I just unbolted the intake just like that. It worked for me so thats the way I would do it.
67 Dodge Charger 440
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

62 Max

Never used the paper gaskets on an iron intake,"never" had a leak.They are recommended on an aluminum intake.They didn't leak when new. :scratchchin:

62 Max

Quote from: chargerman67 on July 14, 2010, 07:13:30 AM
I have noticed a little smoking off my block and with further investigation noticed this pooling on the back of my block behind the intake. I figured I would start to see stuff like this happening since I am driving it a couple of days a week now. I don't know if there is a gasket i need to replace or what.
  let me know your thoughts gentlemen,

thanks-

Luther

How's that.