News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 stops running after 30 to 45 seconds need help

Started by bricklayer, October 01, 2010, 02:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bricklayer

It is a 69 383, holly carb duel feed mech. secondaries the engine fires up and runs fine off throttle and then stops running after 30 seconds or so then all it wants  to do is try and fire but just cranks any thoughts  thanks  tom

Al

I had the same problem. It was a worn fuel pump push rod.
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

The70RT

Could be but it should have been a gradual thing. I noticed mine at anything over 50MPH then 40MPH and so on.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nvrbdn

i had one do that. as soon as the coil would heat up it would quit running. let it cool down and run perfect. changed the coil and all was good.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bricklayer

I'm not running off fuel pump i prime the carb i'm in the middle of restoration and working on engine right now. although how would i chech the coil thanks  tom

bricklayer

to be more spefic when i prime the bowls and start it it runs and then it seems to dump all the fuel at one time in the manfoild thanks  tom

nvrbdn

are u running something to the carb that holds fuel???? the carb alone wont hold enough fuel to keep it running. with a carb set up you can use a small plastic gas can with a fuel fitting screwed into it using gravity feed. make sure the fitting is sealed good. dont need any fires here.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bricklayer

yes i'm running an aux. fuel can i am lost with this problem  tom

The70RT

Quote from: bricklayer on October 03, 2010, 01:23:38 PM
yes i'm running an aux. fuel can i am lost with this problem  tom

Maybe gravity feed isn't enough to keep up.

nvrbdn

is there anyone around that you could borrow another carb from to see if that fixes the prob? im hearing that the thing fires up on priming then floods the manifold after it runs for a couple seconds. if you disconnect the fuel feed, then start on either, will it idle if you trickle gas into the carb??? or if you are spraying into the carb will it keep running?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

firefighter3931

How much fuel pressure are you using ? It will run off the fuel in the bowls for half a minute but you might be pushing the floats up too high (excessive pressure) and flooding it. Holley carbs like 6-7 psi.

I've ran a few 440's with a gravity feed setup....works ok at idle but revving it up will empty the bowls pretty fast.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bricklayer

Ok without a fuel pressure gauge how would i go about setting the float level so i know i'm right there   thanks tom

bricklayer

Also anybody live near lititz,Pa. that could lend a helping hand  thanks tom

firefighter3931

Quote from: bricklayer on October 05, 2010, 07:46:25 PM
Ok without a fuel pressure gauge how would i go about setting the float level so i know i'm right there   thanks tom

Holley carbs have a sight plug on the side of the bowls. Remove the plug and adjust the level using the nut on top of the bowl. The set escew has to be loosened off first. Turning the nut clockwise lowers the float....counterclockwise raises the float. The fuel should be just at the bottom of the hole.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bricklayer

How do i adjust my float before there is any fuel in the carb? thanks again tom

firefighter3931

Quote from: bricklayer on October 06, 2010, 08:29:30 PM
How do i adjust my float before there is any fuel in the carb? thanks again tom

Tom, you can fill the bowls using the vent tubes. Just pour some gas in there using a small funnel or even a turkey baster. I suggest you buy a new baster or the wife will have your head on a platter, lol !  :lol:

Ron

bricklayer

i'm sorry could you please walk me through this? when i fill the vent tube with fuel how do i know where to set my float so i know the float is set at proper height  tom

The70RT

Quote from: bricklayer on October 06, 2010, 08:59:13 PM
i'm sorry could you please walk me through this? when i fill the vent tube with fuel how do i know where to set my float so i know the float is set at proper height  tom

Like firefighter said -

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 05, 2010, 08:21:58 PM
Quote from: bricklayer on October 05, 2010, 07:46:25 PM

Holley carbs have a sight plug on the side of the bowls. Remove the plug and adjust the level using the nut on top of the bowl. The set escew has to be loosened off first. Turning the nut clockwise lowers the float....counterclockwise raises the float. The fuel should be just at the bottom of the hole.

Ron

bricklayer

I'm not trying to sound ignorant but let me ask this question a differnt way how would i set the foat level with carb on work bench thanks again for the reply's so far  again thanks for your patience  tom

The70RT

Quote from: bricklayer on October 08, 2010, 06:32:59 PM
I'm not trying to sound ignorant but let me ask this question a differnt way how would i set the foat level with carb on work bench thanks again for the reply's so far  again thanks for your patience  tom

I would say use a float gauge but you will have to get specs. Maybe you can use gravity feed also and do as was mentioned previously with bowls still attached.