News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FUEL SYSTEM GHOST " UPDATE "

Started by Steve P., December 24, 2005, 07:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

Yup, I agree exactly.. The end result will be a 1/2" return line with a 3/8" feed.  Every  high/low system you look at, (power steering, air conditioning, oiling etc.), uses a larger return line than it does a supply line. Thus making sure of less pressure in that line.

Some would argue that MOPAR did NOT use this method on the factory fuel set up. I cannot argue with them. I can tell you that it makes good sense to me.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Well, it hasn't been a thread where I had anything of use to try and help but I can say (probably for a whole bunch of us)that I have been following it fromt he start and I'm sure glad to hear it may be resolved.  This one was a real head scratcher to understate a lot.

68charger440

Sorry to resurrect such a painful old thread, but it mirrors my problems and I am still unable to find an answer. See the other thread I am posting to here.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52284.msg1469495.html#msg1469495

When you ran a new line from a clean can of gas did you run it straight to the engine bay, or did you connect it back by the tank and therefore the fuel was still running by the header collector?  
If you ran it straight to the engine bay then I don't understand how the heat from the collector area could have been the problem since it too was bypassed.  If you connected the new line in the back by the tank then it would still have to pass by the heat by or collector and then it does make sense.
Just searching for answers!
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

cdr

so you have your return line hooked up & fuel pump working & a still have a problem ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

68charger440

Yes, but I used a 3/8 rubber fuel line that was preexisting, and I am in the process of checking that for obstructions.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Ghoste

Could it be just old and weak and is collapsing under the draw?

68charger440

Quote from: Ghoste on September 16, 2015, 01:49:20 PM
Could it be just old and weak and is collapsing under the draw?
I am wondering about that too.  I disconnected the fuel line after the mechanical pump and cranked the enging to fill a cup of gas, and it had black fine junk in the gas.  The sending unit is brand new so the black stuff I think must be from the rubber fuel line unless it is so fine that it is getting by the sock on the sending unit. :shruggy: 

68charger440

On that blue quickfuel bypass regulator, turning the hex nut clockwise should increase the pressure, right? 
I turned mine two full turns both inward and outward while it was running and my pressure gauge didn't change fron 2.5 psi. 
How much of a turn should it take to make a 1 psi change? 
How long should it take to see the change?
What order should I have?  Will it make a difference?
Mine goes from mechanical pump to filter to pressure gauge to another filter just because there is so much sh** in my fuel somehow. Then it goes to the regulator and the other side of the reg goes to the carb and the bottom of the reg goes back to the tank.  Is that ok?

cdr

out of the box they are set at 6 psi. i did not have to adjust mine at all. the strainer in the tank could be plugged up
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

at idle the fuel pressure could be 4 psi. because of the bypass jet that they have , at rpm is when the adjuster makes a difference .

cdr

if you want to test the return system pinch of the return line & see what the pressure goes to.

68charger440

Quote from: cdr on September 16, 2015, 03:10:21 PM
if you want to test the return system pinch of the return line & see what the pressure goes to.
I'll try that.
Thanks

68charger440

It doesn't change and it is at 8 psi if that cheapo gauge can be trusted.  Is there a guide as to when you should change the jet in the regulator?

cdr

Quote from: 68charger440 on September 16, 2015, 02:34:19 PM
On that blue quickfuel bypass regulator, turning the hex nut clockwise should increase the pressure, right? 
I turned mine two full turns both inward and outward while it was running and my pressure gauge didn't change fron 2.5 psi. 
How much of a turn should it take to make a 1 psi change? 
How long should it take to see the change?
What order should I have?  Will it make a difference?
Mine goes from mechanical pump to filter to pressure gauge to another filter just because there is so much sh** in my fuel somehow. Then it goes to the regulator and the other side of the reg goes to the carb and the bottom of the reg goes back to the tank.  Is that ok?

I am confused , you said 2.5 psi here ?

68charger440

Yea, I'm confused too.  When I put the second gas filter in between the pump and the gauge I also cleared out as much as i could of the black gunk from the line.
Then when I put it all back together it went to 8 psi and it also stopped jumping back and forth.  
I don't know if it was clearing out the gunk, or putting the filter on or blowing out the gauge and lines with the air compressor before putting it a back together, or what, but that is when it changed. But it still doesn't move the gauge when I turn the adjuster nut.  Sorry I left out that important piece of info.

cdr

then your return line is plugged up also.or you got trash in the regulator.

68charger440

Yea, I'm going to take apart the reg again and clean it one more time and see if it starts working.