News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rap Music..

Started by mastermopar, December 24, 2005, 05:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Quote from: Stratocharger on December 28, 2005, 01:10:30 PM

Hey you guys, I've spent time in the studio with rappers and their engineers and you'd be suprised the amount of technical musicality that's on those albums. Stop and really listen to some Mac Dre or sumpthin. or if you can't stand to listen a pissed off Brother, check out DJ Cam. That shouldn't offend you too much and you may hear some really sophisticated technical mastery, the equal of any guitar player.  :yesnod:

Also, Dr. Octagon and pre-sellout (ie. pre-hot chick) Black Eyed Peas. Have to mention Outkast as well...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Doc74

Quote from: Ponch on December 27, 2005, 01:11:31 AM
Quote from: Andrew on December 26, 2005, 11:33:24 PM

Rap is basically talking to a beat

ok, so "A boy named sue" and "Uneasy Rider" are crap as well.

Hey I love 'A boy named Sue' .... dang there's a sentence I didn't wanna hear myself say...  :icon_smile_big:

Tiny background, I'm 31 and play saxophone, used to play electric bass, still got one but it's an ornament more than anything else now.
I grew up with a mix of classical music, swing, jazz and R&R (the 50's stuff) I added just about any style I could and listened as much as I could.
It's not a bad basis to begin with but now I just can't listen to that stuff they rechew on the radio every day.Don't know how it is over there but here a lot of people (working) listen to only one station, heck it's only like 7 million in this region anyway and it's the same stuff over and over, the hits, nowadays you don't create a hit, you get it.Automatically the next track on the cd they'll be airing will be the hit.Yes I know, mobsters were running the scene before so it's probably better now anyway  :D
But to whom does this apply to ? Talentless, dance act, one hit wonders and lookers, the song alone doesn't have to do it, the video draws a lot of attention too, look at greenpigs...nono not literally, I don't hate anyone here....
.So are these dance and rapsongs bad? Nope, just the ones you hear daily.Not all no but many.
Some of my collegues like hip hop and many of these 'hits' but when they put on cd's at home from bands I've never heard of I think, fine, not my thing but this ain't bad, why haven't I heard this before? Ah yes, not commercial enough.Again it made me realize that because it's not my style it doesn't mean that it's bad.
ANY music style has tunes you would like, but the chances are that you'll never hear them.
Whoever quoted Ellington was right on, that's exactly how it is, it's good or it's bad and that's entirely up to us to decide.You can all disagree with me and that's your damn right but I'm sure we can all agree that what we hear isn't always the best for our or anyone's ear.You don't have to be a genius to see that Jimi Hendrix had a tad more talent than 50 cent, even if they have incomparable musical styles.Just plain sense.
You guys ever hear of the eurovision song contest ? Oh boy......if you thought you heard the worst...
I think the main thing is, you can have all types of music done good...and bad.
I don't like Eminem, sure he makes me laugh, not everyday you see a (nearly) grown man in a Robin outfit ! But I'm not into his music...as a musician, who's played a lot and with some big(ger) names...I have to say that there's not many out there who can do what he does.
There are TONS of great bands out there but you won't find many of them on your radio.
Maybe we can make a charger band and try some different styles.Just don't sing about love or you'll half ruin it to begin with  :D
I can cover sax and bass but alas not together  :icon_smile_big:  I think there's plenty stringers around here anyway, now all we need is a drummer, a singer, a keys man/woman, flute, hornsection, maracas, cello, violin,....I don't wanna leave anyone out.

Brock Samson

Count me in!
I come from a Classical Guitar background.
  Our band "Everyday People", had a two piece horn section of sax and trumpet, with the guys doubleing on other insterments like percusion congas and Timbales and  keyboard samples,the  lead singer's son 18 at the time did a rap in the middle of Funkadelic's "feet don't fail me now" and everyone LOVED it!  :yesnod: with the back up singers we'd have ten folks on stage!
Perhaps we can link over the internet and get something going...     :icon_smile:
I wrote a song called The Charger Blues...

Ponch ®

Quote from: Doc74 on December 28, 2005, 01:47:57 PM
.So are these dance and rapsongs bad? Nope, just the ones you hear daily.Not all no but many.
Some of my collegues like hip hop and many of these 'hits' but when they put on cd's at home from bands I've never heard of I think, fine, not my thing but this ain't bad, why haven't I heard this before? Ah yes, not commercial enough.

:yesnod:

that's what I was saying earlier. Seems to me the "Rap sucks" crowd is judging the entire genre based on the generic commercial stuff they hear when going through their radio dial or out of some kids ricer. Like I said, that's like forming a negative opinion of all guitar rock music because all youve ever heard is Linkin Park or Rob Thomas.

A great song can be found anywhere.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Doc74

Quote from: Ponch on December 28, 2005, 02:27:12 PM
Some of my collegues like hip hop and many of these 'hits' but when they put on cd's at home from bands I've never heard of I think, fine, not my thing but this ain't bad, why haven't I heard this before? Ah yes, not commercial enough.

that's what I was saying earlier. Seems to me the "Rap sucks" crowd is judging the entire genre based on the generic commercial stuff they hear when going through their radio dial or out of some kids ricer. Like I said, that's like forming a negative opinion of all guitar rock music because all youve ever heard is Linkin Park or Rob Thomas.

Yep but people have to look to find it.
Also if I may add...visit as many gigs as you can, just for the feel of it, no matter what stereo you got at home you'll never experience music as you do with towering amps blasting your gut, any music style will sound different from what you're used to.

Ponch you got greenpigs' private numper post count ! Freaky

Doc74

Quote from: Stratocharger on December 28, 2005, 02:04:24 PM
  Count me in!
I come from a Classical Guitar background.
  Our band "Everyday People", had a two piece horn section of sax and trumpet, with the guys doubleing on other insterments like percusion congas and Timbales and  keyboard samples,the  lead singer's son 18 at the time did a rap in the middle of Funkadelic's "feet don't fail me now" and everyone LOVED it!  :yesnod: with the back up singers we'd have ten folks on stage!
Perhaps we can link over the internet and get something going...     :icon_smile:
I wrote a song called The Charger Blues...

Hmmm I can hookup the Mic and record my part  ;D
Get a rythm going, let's jam ! 

Bluebeast

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on December 28, 2005, 08:03:25 AM
Quote from: 71Charger500 on December 27, 2005, 11:42:45 PM
Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on December 26, 2005, 08:19:22 PM
Quote from: 71Charger500 on December 26, 2005, 08:13:50 PM
Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on December 26, 2005, 07:35:54 PM
Quote from: 71Charger500 on December 26, 2005, 12:31:31 PM
Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on December 26, 2005, 11:14:10 AM
Yo, our brains are out to lunch
We buy our jewelry by the bunch
We can't sing or even play
Let's make a record anyway.

Then I guess you need me to remind you about the Roots, who have great players for every instrument in their combo, or the Gorillaz, with they're jazz flavored new CD with great bass lines and grooves.   Or all the funk artisits that create great songs that involve rapping.

and I don't need to remind you about the other 99% of the acts, right?

Thats incredible.   You hate rap   but you've heard 99% of the artists?   Impressive. :o

No, what is incredible is that you think by giving a couple examples of rap acts that actually play instruments or acts that are not rap acts but may occasionally use rap in a song, you think you're making a viable argument that somehow supports the notion that rap artists are good musicians.

Here's a free clue for you: Try dealing with the rule rather than the exception.

But thats the whole point:   There is no rule.   Some rappers are good musicians and some arent.   Some rock musicians are good, the majority arent.   The argument was that rap takes no talent.   To do it well it does.   If you're close-minded enough to think that no rappers are talented, or that all rap sucks, as the topic states, then you are very ignorant and I pity you.

Most rappers don't play an instrument, do they? I said most, not some, most. Sure there are plenty of rock musicians that can't play. But, they are playing. Oh, and a turntable isn't an instrument.

You pity me? BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

You might want to check this out...
The era of the Turntable only being able to perform or play records for a DJ or consumer has now been re-invented to bring you a new instrument, the TURNTABLE INSTRUMENT.

Imagine being able to control the vinyl the way you need it to be played as, being able to hit notes and keys just like any other instrument.

With the introduction to the Controller One, the Turntables have became a product in making of a new industry category, Musical Instruments for DJs. (MIDJ)

Originally a concept shared by the one of the greatest Scratch composers, D-styles and new coming scratch performer Ricci Rucker, this piece has eveolved to suit and bring a new light into the World of Scratch and the DJ looking for more than just a pitch control and Djing.

1970 Dodge Charger 500 SE 4speed

GTX

hemihead

According to my 16 y.o. son rap is dying out with his generation  anyway.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Ponch on December 28, 2005, 02:27:12 PM

A great song can be found anywhere you TRY to find it.

Seems to me that, instead of making an attempt to understand, many here are just listening to others who say "Rap Sucks" without actually investigating it for themselves.

Too bad, really...there is a lot in this world that you can discover and appreciate when you actually take the time to look.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.