News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger Upper Control Arm Bushing Sleeve?

Started by Chatt69chgr, December 27, 2011, 01:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I just removed the front and rear UCA bushings and found that the rear on each side had a sleeve over the bushing on the INSIDE of the UCA but the front didn't.  I assume this is normal as my car has never been apart.  I was planning on installing the offset bushings to get more positive caster.  They didn't include the sleeves in the MOOG boxes so I assume that you are supposed to reuse your old sleeves.  You would first press in your new rear bushings (from the outside) and then press the sleeve down on the installed bushing from the inside of the UCA.  Does this sound correct?  Why isn't there a sleeve on the front UCA bushing?  Seems like one ought to be there too.  Took a look at Rockauto and didn't notice that MOOG had replacement sleeves.

charger Downunder

[/quote]

John_Kunkel

According to Rick Ehrenberg the sleeves (P/N 1857840) were only used when there was an issue with the press-fit of the bushing.

Other sources say they were used on the rears of heavy-duty installations.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chatt69chgr

Interesting that they were installed on the rear on both sides.  I wonder if I need to reinstall them.  My car was a 318 very late 69 production.  I am installing a 440 with manual trans.

And while we are on the subject--------I was thinking of installing the offset bushings per the Ehrenberg article to give me more positive caster to help in drivability.  I have no idea where the car was alignment wise during it's life but it was babyed for the entire 100K miles on it.  And it is in very good shape.  Never wrecked.  I never drove the car as it was not running when I got it.

Additional Note:  Armed with the Mopar P/N provided by John I found that you can buy these bushing sleeves:

http://www.americanmuscle.biz/product_p/23450.htm.

I also found some sources that discussed these which said that Chrysler added these to heavy duty use applications like taxis and police cars for extra strength.

For what it's worth, the Upper Control Arms were both painted semigloss black.  I know they are original to the car and have never been off. 

b5blue

I just bought the offset bushings from Rick E. on eBay this week.  :2thumbs:

charger Downunder

[/quote]