News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Validating #s on a 68

Started by bakerhillpins, September 28, 2010, 07:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

I have several links that I have pulled from discussions here that discuss where to find the #s on a 68 and how to determine if they match as they should. The following 3 seem to be the most helpful, So I think I have that down.

http://andy440.com/other.htm
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38316.0/all.html
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/numbersMatching.shtml

What I am wondering is how easy (or next to impossible) is it to actually validate these numbers on a 68 when you are viewing a car that someone is selling? Say without crawling all over the car?

According to the links the 68s #s are stamped on the top of the arch at the back of the block/front of the transmission where the where they meet. Seems it would be awfully hard to stick your head in there and view everything. Anyone have any experience with trying to do this. Or should I try to get the owners to do it?

Oh, yea its a early production 68 - date code from the tag is A12.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Troy

Um, they didn't make any 68s in 69. ;) That A12 is October 1967.

Nice interior! One of my favorite combos. That thing is pretty loaded too.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bakerhillpins

:slap:  Fixed the typo...    :icon_smile_big:

You have lots of 68s - Any suggestions or pointers?
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Alaskan_TA

The link to my article on 1970 numbers on HH is irrelevent to a 1968 discussion, but thanks for the mention.

To tie a 1968 VIN to the body numbers you need the broadcast sheet or other original paperwork like the advance dealer shipping notice as another example. 

Dans 68

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 28, 2010, 07:33:03 PM
...According to the links the 68s #s are stamped on the top of the arch at the back of the block/front of the transmission where the where they meet. Seems it would be awfully hard to stick your head in there and view everything. Anyone have any experience with trying to do this. Or should I try to get the owners to do it?...

Just grab a flashlight and lean in.... :icon_smile_big:  Seriously, it is not difficult to see, especially if you remove the oil pressure transducer (simple to wrench off) and get close. If it is still difficult just get a digital camera and snap a few photos of the area. Just remember that not all motors had their partial vin's stamped on the top back of the block. If it is a 4-speed, of course, the stamping will be on the 4-speed housing case raised pad. If it was stamped, that is.  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bakerhillpins

This particular car is not a 4spd so according to the info in the other posts the #s should be there as its a 383 even though it's an early build.

Don't suppose you could grab a few pics of your car in the area back there for me so I have a reference before I go take a look? Never stuffed my head back there when I looked at them in the past. Not that I would remember anyhow.

Not sure how I would feel about pulling off the pressure transducer on someone's car but hey, first time for everything.

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 28, 2010, 09:18:05 PM
The link to my article on 1970 numbers on HH is irrelevent to a 1968 discussion, but thanks for the mention.

Yea, realized that after you posted. I just copied the links from my notes. Good info though!
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

pullrock

I have a 68 Charger R/T and I just put the camera back by the firewall and started taking pictures.  Hope this helps.

Eric

pullrock

Here is another shot of the area.

Eric

bakerhillpins

That's wicked helpful!   :2thumbs:

Thanks Eric!  :cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire