News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A trans that won't go into high gear properly

Started by Ghoste, September 29, 2010, 07:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

A co worker mentioned something about his truck not going into third unless he backs off the throttle.  The first thing I tought was low fluid level but he said the level is normal and the truck has always done this??  I know it isn't normal for it to "always" do that but what else would cause that, improperly adjusted thrrottle pressure input, drum hanging up?  It's a late 90's Dodge so would it even have an adjustable mechanical linkage for throttle pressure input?
He said he might adjust the bands but there would be no band applied for third even in the newer ones would there?

SRT-440

I had a 2000 Durango that I used to mod and it had a adjustable throttle cable (not sure the actual term for it)..I could move it in small increments and it would affect the shift points a lot..either making them too early or too late and sometimes it would just shift goofy (that's a technical term..LOL).
It was on the passenger side of the throttle body and has a little retainer clip that has to be removed to adjust it.

Not sure if this is his problem, but if somebody tried "adjusting" the shifts they coulda gotten it way outta wack.

U might have luck if you google the problem...prolly has happened a lot.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

John_Kunkel

A late 90's would have a cable instead of TP linkage, watch the transmission lever as the throttle is operated and make sure the lever operates smoothly from one of its travel to the other (it might be stuck to the rear).

If the TP is working OK the problem is either leakage at the front clutch (sealing rings or lips seals) some late 90's front drums had faulty machining for the inner seal groove. It could also be a governor problem. '95 and earlier has the mechanical governor, '96 and later is electronic.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.