News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 from a 73 motorhome??

Started by super_dave, September 28, 2010, 12:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

super_dave

Hi guys, have a question for you.  I have an opportunity to buy a complete 440 from a 73 motor home....is this worth pursuing?  I have a date coded 69 440 block.....but thats it.  All the quotes I have recieved to build a motor from the block I have are getting into $10,000.00, way outta my budget at this time.  Could I just use the one from the motor home, and if in the future want to modify it, start from there?  I know the HP went down over the years with the 440's with 68-70 being the best in terms of power.  Is a 73 440 from a motor home the same as a 69 440 from a charger?  Thanks for the input. Oh, BTW, going into a 69 charger I'm restoring, thanks.

Ghoste

Basically, it's the same.  It isn't, but for all intents and purposes in this case it is.  Know that the performance will be way down from what you might expect but if you are stuck for a running 440 and this one is cheap then it may be a good option.  Without question they can be brought up to standard.

super_dave

So budget wise yes, power wise no.  To bring the 73 440 up to 400-430 HP, is it just a rebuild or whole new crank, pistons etc...  Obviously some bolt on pieces can up the performance also, like intake etc...or is it just a bass ackwards way of doing it?

Ghoste

Low compression and less desirable heads are a couple of things that make it hard to hit your goal.  Your goal is easy enough with a 440 but just doing a few bolt ons to a used 440 motorhome engine isn't likely to happen.
You are most likely looking at a complete rebuild but I'm not sure the 10k dollar figure is necessary.  I guess it comes down to the cost of quality machine work in your area.

super_dave

Thanks for the replies Ghoste.  Thats what I have been struggling with.  I never thought building a 440 from a block only condition would hit $10,000.00   Doesn't add up in my mind.  I just wanted a more or less stock build, with a decent intake and not much more.  The purpose of the car is just to be a nice occassional driver.  I was hoping for a turn key cost of under $6500.00, but have found that number not being realistic from the people who have quoted me so far.  Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Ghoste

When you say block only condition, just what do you mean?  Is there a crank and heads and so forth or do you just have a block and need to buy all the rest?

super_dave

Just the block, have nothing else...thats kinda the issue.

Ghoste

Ah, well that can certainly change things. 

super_dave

LOL, thats why I was thinking about the motor home approach, have had no luck finding a complete 440 for the car as of yet.  I'm shopping if anyone is selling, thanks.

RD

stroker kit = $1800
heads = $899
intake = $300 (tops)
carb = $600 (tops)
oil pan = $150
oil pump = $60
camshaft lifter kit = $300
gasket set = $55
oil sending unit = $8
temp sending unit = $6
ignition set (dist., cap, rotor, wires, coil) = $200

$4,079 if my mental math is correct.

machine work, tack on about $1500 bucks and you got $5,579.  A grand to spare.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

super_dave

RD I like your math!  Someone just posted a 68 440HP short block new rebuild, .30 over, $2000.00.  May be a good start....or the unknown factor too risky?

Troy

Geesh, I'd certainly hope you could do better than that. I sold and shipped a completely rebuilt 440 (446) with Edelbrock heads to CA for half of what you're looking at (of course I was told I wasn't very bright too). If you were closer I could hook you up with the stock parts for a whole lot less. We seem to have an abundance of old big blocks floating around here in the midwest.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

super_dave

Well, why dont you put a package together for me, and me and the wife can gor for a drive.   :cheers:

super_dave

Hey Troy, your an 8 hour drive...reasonable enough for me.  You have anything else for sale?

Troy

Haha, I saw the CA and immediately thought "California" - not "Canada". Yeah, you're not too terribly far.

I'll send you a PM.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

FLG

Im trying to get rid of my 74 440 Block if your interested, bare block with mains. Will clean up at .030 over

Im located in Brooklyn NY

:2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: super_dave on September 28, 2010, 01:55:56 PM
RD I like your math!  Someone just posted a 68 440HP short block new rebuild, .30 over, $2000.00.  May be a good start....or the unknown factor too risky?

everything depends on how many parrts will be considered reusable to your specific project

stroker kit is not necesary, just pistons instead, neither heads, but work yours...  from there you already cut half of what RD said
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

He doesn't have heads or a crank though, just an empty block.

elacruze

If the motorhome engine is running with no obvious problems, and it's cheap, buy it cam it and drive it. It won't run like a HP 6-pak but so what? You can change it as you find funds.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

69rtse4spd

Heck if your going to Troys place, stop by mine, I'm about 3 hours N. NW. of him. Between the two of us ( I have blocks, cranks, rods, heads,etc. etc.) we can fix you right up.  :2thumbs:. Heck bring a trailer, I got a 66 Coronet 500 solid body with or with out motor & tranny I will sell you.

super_dave

LOL, I'll be bringing back 6000lbs iron to Canada.  Troy, the gentleman that he is, is pointing me in the right direction, we'll see what we can figure out, thanks for th einput guys, appreciatte it.

Challenger340

Quote from: super_dave on September 28, 2010, 12:56:56 PM
So budget wise yes, power wise no.  To bring the 73 440 up to 400-430 HP, is it just a rebuild or whole new crank, pistons etc...  Obviously some bolt on pieces can up the performance also, like intake etc...or is it just a bass ackwards way of doing it?

IMO
Using a 73 440 core Engine, and applying a complete & "Proper" Rebuild of both Block & Heads, with some "tricks" ie; mild Porting, ARP Bolts, decent Pistons & Mild Cam, and an Intake Manifold, you should have no problem exceeding your Goal of 400-430hp on your Budget.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

FLG

I agree with challenger, I'm actually in the process of doing it with a late model 440.

super_dave

Decisions, decisions eh.  Just found a really nice 72 440, rebuilt few years ago with no mile since, project got scrapped.  Oil pan through air filter, AC brackets...etc...  Bolted on to 727 still, more or less a drop it supposedly.  Funny thing is though, a 72 - 440 has pretty much exactly same power as my 69 318... :rotz:

The 440 /tranny is $1500.00 canadian.......not bad.  So say in two years I want to do some performance mods.....future budget to get 450 ft/lbs.....??  $2000.00 or more?  Thanks for the input.

Car just got some paint....getting motivated now!

westcoastdodge

I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz