News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this something standard on Chargers???

Started by 68RRFlyer, September 28, 2010, 04:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

It sounds like a simple question, but when I removed this from a 68 Charger I'm working on I thought it was something rigged up by someone.  Upon closer inspection though, it is a stamped piece with the rubber being stapled to the panel.  It actually is bolted to the frame using correct fasteners (not Lowe's hardware or something like that).  Three Charger's now, and I've never seen this before.  Was it a Coronet thing someone used?  68 Charger, H-code, it has the undercoating package.  Thoughts?? :scratchchin:

Cheers  :cheers:  
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

1968_Charger

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes standard..starter splash shield...2nd gen
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Like Chris has said, standard issue on B-bodies for sure... I make sure I have enough for my Chargers. Typically, they are one of the items that never makes it back on the car during it's life..... It has unique screws as well............ So, if you have 'em, get and save 'em..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger-Bodie

Its commonly called a starter shield,but its actually there to stop stuff from getting to the automatic shift linkage levers.....Its only on automatic equipped cars.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

PocketThunder

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 28, 2010, 08:37:02 AM
Its commonly called a starter shield,but its actually there to stop stuff from getting to the automatic shift linkage levers.....Its only on automatic equipped cars.
No kidding.  I learn something new on here every day.  And i'm on here almost everyday for the past 6 years. :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

1BAD68

I just threw one of those away. It came in the trunk of my Charger when I bought it 5 yrs ago.
Every once in awhile I would get it out and look to see if I could find where it goes and finally decided it probably wasn't for my car, oh well.

68RRFlyer

I'll second that PocketThunder.  What a great forum! :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:  Never seen one before.  Thanks gang.

Cheers :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

A383Wing

I got 2 or 3 of 'em here that I took off of 66 & 67 Chargers I parted out years ago

The70RT

I don't think my 70 ever had them. Maybe they were removed but it would have had to been before 78. Did they end that in 69?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brock Lee

I have a bunch of them. I still need to reinstall the one on my car.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: The70RT on September 28, 2010, 09:36:50 PM
I don't think my 70 ever had them. Maybe they were removed but it would have had to been before 78. Did they end that in 69?

I've seen two on Superbirds...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 28, 2010, 08:37:02 AM
Its only on automatic equipped cars.

Well, that's good. One less thing I have to try to find. :2thumbs:

A383Wing

My 70 had it when I got it..still does

The70RT

Quote from: A383Wing on September 29, 2010, 08:55:44 PM

Maybe I will run on to them as I am getting it back together. I just don't remember seeing them but I disassembled the car a few tears ago.  :shruggy: Thanks.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: The70RT on September 29, 2010, 09:07:00 PM

Maybe I will run on to them as I am getting it back together. I just don't remember seeing them but I disassembled the car a few tears ago.  :shruggy: Thanks.

Its not "them" Dennis. There is just one on the drivers side rail.

The70RT

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 29, 2010, 09:21:00 PM
Quote from: The70RT on September 29, 2010, 09:07:00 PM

Its not "them" Dennis. There is just one on the drivers side rail.

Thanks Brian.

Chatt69chgr

I'm with the earlier poster.  I've been on here for several years and never heard that the starter splash shield was only for automatic equipped cars.  My car is an auto and has the shield.  I'm converting to a 4-speed.  Could some 4-speed owners confirm that this piece was not used on a 4-speed equipped car.  Just for my piece of mind. 

Charger-Bodie

Ive looked under many 4 speed cars and the holes are always in the rail ,but you can tell that they have never had anything screwed into there.

Troy

I'll take a look at mine tonight but I don't think I saw one.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

neither one of my 4-spd cars have this shield...as stated, the holes are there, but never had any screws in them

Ghoste

I will try and scan it to post up but I was able to find an engineering drawing for engine compartment splash shields for 1969 in which it is marked on there as;

2925315 SPLASH SHIELD LT.
(AUTO. TRANS ONLY)

Unfortunately it's a really crappy photocopy of the drawing so I don't think it is going to scan very well. (in fact I'm not even sure that is the right part number-it's a little blurred)
But it's definitely marked as being an automatic transmission only part.

John_Kunkel

In the drawing below the long rear shield on the drivers side says "auto trans only".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

That would be the clearer version of the same one I mentioned.

1969chargerrtse

OOOOps.  I didn't know It was just one?  I put one on my pass side. :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.