News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440-6 Build: Opinions?

Started by ramblinn, September 26, 2010, 08:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramblinn

Desire to maintain stock appearance with a bit of idle attitude. Engine builder recommends XE268, but the new Hughes Whiplash cam is intriguing for its idle attitude tho I understand it is designed for low CR engines. Also considering the Voodoo 60303. Assuming about 84cc on the heads, target CR at around 10:1. Its going in a 70RR conv with pwr disks.

68 440 block
440source heads, comp 10deg steel retainers
Steel crank (out of 69 Imperial 440)
Comp XE268/Voodoo 60303/Hughes Whiplash
SRP 213455 flat tops
Scat 6760 rods
71 repro 6pak carbs
Stock (MP) rockers/arms
Stock manifolds, exhaust and iron intake
727, rebuilt and tightened up with Transgo kit
3.23 suregrip
2.5" TTI Exhaust
Hughes 2500 Stall TC

What think ye engine gurus?

Chatt69chgr

I'm thinking that the big limiting factor on the performance will be the intake and exhaust manifolds.  Sounds like the CR will be between 10 and 10.5 to 1 which would be good for the aluminum heads.  And the flat top pistons and cylinder heads would help achieve quench (assuming you achieve a 40-45 thou piston top to head clearance).  You would need to pay particular attention to the rocker to valve retainer clearance as this has been a problem for some.  Might consider beehive springs from Comp Cams.  Once you have firmly decided on the manifolds, you would need to consult the experts on choice of a cam.  Since the choice of a cam is dependent on how the engine breaths, the one change you might consider making would be a set of headers.  Then find out if the aluminum intake from Edelbrock breathes better than the iron one you have---if so then get one of those.  I do understand that you may have reasons that you want to keep the original manifolds.  I don't know about stall converter rpm choices.  I'm no expert so will be interested in what the real guru's have to say.

ramblinn

Thx for reply.  Yup, I realize the downside of stock manifolds but want to maintain stock appearance.