News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OK, lets build a n/a 600HP/590torque 446 ci engine on pump gas for street/strip

Started by 1Bad70Charger, September 26, 2010, 09:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

I know tall order but why not have a little fun while we are at it.  I see most successful 440 to 446 ci high performance pump engine builds yield at the very most maybe 570HP and 560 ft lbs of torque on pump gas, and most around 530 and 560 torque (with out of the box Eddy Heads and hyd. flat tappet cams).

I would love to build a pump gas 10:8 to 11:1 pump gas 446 engine that makes 600HP, and also great torque throughout the rpm band where it matters most, with heads that flow better than Eddy Performers out of the box and a soil roller lifter cam I think we can give this a shot and get pretty close for a street/strip car.  Also, I have been around the hot rod hobby long enough to know that the power (horsepower and torque) made by a performance push rod V8 engine made throughout the entire rpm band is much more important than an engine that makes a nice lofty peak HP number (but is a slouch throughout the entire rpm band). That being said although I would LOVE to hit 600 ponies on a pump gas 446 ci engine, that engine needs to make great power throughout the entire rpm band and needs to make alot of torque with a good flat torque line.  Yes, I would much rather have a 570 hp and 580 torque 446 ci engine that makes my 69 Roadrunner faster in the 1/4 mile, vs an engine that is peaky and hits 615 ponies at 7200 rpm, but is a peaky engine making less power under the curve and not performing as well in the 1/4 mile.

Here's my start, how close do you think I can get and still make great power/torque throughout the entire rpm band.

Keep in mind I will have the stall for the push off the line with my new 9.5 dynamic converter and 3.91 gears. And yes, although this is pretty much a street car I would love to hit 600 ponies and build a very torquey engine that will make for a great street motor, although I realize it will not have great street manors but as long as it don't stall out at stop lights and my brake booster gives me braking power I'm good to.  Why do I want as much power as possible for the street that is compatible to my entire build-up?  Well, I have a think for 10 second street cars and excessive horsepower, and although my current gearing and a pump gas engine will probably never propel a 3700 lb 69 Roadrunner into the 10s, it will be fun to see how close we can get.  

1.  10:8 to 11 to 1 compression
2.  440 bored .030
3.  Indy 440-EZ1 heads (and proper wedge intake manifold port matched) or fully ported CNC ported Eddy Rpm Heads with a port match Victor intake manifold).
4.  Proform 750 carb (that flows 830 cfm)-already have it I know I would probably need at least a Proform 850
5.  Properly selected Engle solid roller lifter cam matched to take full advantage of heads and matched to converter.
6.  MSD 6AL Ignition
7. 1 3/4 to 2 inch headers

I think that is  good start and this probably not even this possible on pump gas but why not have a little fun.  I know, DON'T get hung up on a dyno numbers, etc, etc, and how well a car peforms at the track (ets and traps) is the true measure of a fast straight line hot rod.

What would you change with heads, cam, etc., to get as close to my lofty goal on pump gas (has to run well and not retard timing for 93 unleaded SHell/Mobil/BP pump gas).

Oh yeah, this all has to fit under my 440-6 pack hood on my 69 Roadrunner and no powers adders strictly naturally aspirated!
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

1Bad70Charger

So you guys don't think this can be achieved I assume, on a street car running pump gas and all fit under my 6 pack lift off Roadrunner hood?  

Its frustrating that 600+HP  on pump gas can EASILY be done with a small block 427 LSx Chevy  engine (with a hyd roller cam) or Ford Build up, so why is this so difficult to achieve with more cubes (446) and on a true big block (using great heads like some of the Indy 440 wedge Heads, etc.)?
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

elacruze

Start with a cross-bolted main journal megablock and you might get there. Spinning a BBM that hard won't last too long, maybe if you use BCR main caps-
http://www.bcrproducts.com/

I like to live on the edge and fly in the face of tradition myself, but you're asking a ton. Power brakes? Forget it. Great torque curve? Forget it, if that includes reasonable drivability under 3500 RPM. Fit under the hood? Better get a Turbocharger. Pump Gas? Check those plugs after every run.

I'd like to see you figure out how to do this, just to prove it could be done. I'm not sure it can, with your goals and constraints all served.

I was on the edge of building a low-deck motor with similar ideas, but it became quickly apparent that a 505" motor was a lot cheaper and more reliable for the same power level, better torque and good low-RPM drivability.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: elacruze on September 27, 2010, 02:23:34 PM
Start with a cross-bolted main journal megablock and you might get there. Spinning a BBM that hard won't last too long, maybe if you use BCR main caps-
http://www.bcrproducts.com/

I like to live on the edge and fly in the face of tradition myself, but you're asking a ton. Power brakes? Forget it. Great torque curve? Forget it, if that includes reasonable drivability under 3500 RPM. Fit under the hood? Better get a Turbocharger. Pump Gas? Check those plugs after every run.

I'd like to see you figure out how to do this, just to prove it could be done. I'm not sure it can, with your goals and constraints all served.

I was on the edge of building a low-deck motor with similar ideas, but it became quickly apparent that a 505" motor was a lot cheaper and more reliable for the same power level, better torque and good low-RPM drivability.

I agree with you my friend 100% but does make for an interesting topic, and if I just rebuild my 440 I just hope I end up with at least what some of the more successful 440 pump gas builds get (around 530 ponies and 550 ft lbs using Eddy out of the box heads and hdy. flat tappet Engle Cam).  That being said I totally agree that the 505 ci engine is the way to go to achieve my desired power levels (625 hp & tq) and even then I would have to run a solid roller lifter cam and at least professionally worked over Eddy heads (or Indy 440 Ezy-1 heads) to achieve my desired goals I would want if I am going to spend the extra money on a 505 stroker!

Thanks for your input!  :cheers: