News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It used to be a 69 daytona

Started by nascarxx29, September 25, 2010, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Like the Bugatti raised from the lake in Italy, there is some intrinsic value in the wreckage as it sits.   Although the Bugatti is helped because it still looks a whole lot like a car.

held1823

look ya'll, we're famous

http://bangshift.com/general-news/car-features/left-dead-ditch-newfoundland-ravine-daytona/

am i overlooking any usable parts in these photos?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on August 04, 2014, 03:50:37 PM
Like the Bugatti raised from the lake in Italy, there is some intrinsic value in the wreckage as it sits.   Although the Bugatti is helped because it still looks a whole lot like a car.

3 wheels and a peg leg!    :cheers:  Arrrghhh, Matey!!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

500Jon

Hi Aero's.

Wonderful discussion and well worth the read.

My neighbours house burnt down after a boiler fire, so what's the relevance???
It was rebuilt with all new bricks, mortar, wood, paint, electrics, modern insulation etc.
Its problems were put right as the original build was quite shabby!
It wasn't rebuilt by the ORIGINAL builders, but a team of competent builders with modern tools and materials.
In all cases its a better house worth more money than mine, as its larger and more ECO now!

When they sell the house will this help or hinder the sale???
It probably won't even be mentioned unless a FULL search is done.
So whats this little house worth?

About the same as a Hemi Daytona LOL!!! :nana:

You can live in a house but can't drive it, you can drive a Daytona but you CAN live in it?
I know a guy in LA that lives in an MG, oh yes and another who lives in a Coronet(with his wife), and then there's Greg, who used to live in his Cougar! (all totally true)

Remember the poor Folks who don't have that much this Christmas.

At the end of the day, its only a CAR!!! :scratchchin:
But at least you can LIVE IN IT!!! :smilielol:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Ghoste

So you're saying it isn't the same house.

500Jon

It looks like it on the outside!

Think the Bin numbers got burnt in the fire?
They renamed it 'FENIX'.

5J

JB400

You can put the same address on the 2nd house as the first house had, but it's still not the same house.

500Jon

Hi Aero's,

It was No.18, now it has a name.
It is in all known terms a Re-Creation.

This is how I see all restored cars, they are re-creations!
The Industry manufactures the parts for people to do it!!!
Some Folks even go the extra mile and use original sheetmetal and NOS.
What are the Dynacorn rebodied cars called then???

You can buy 'Heritage' carbodies here in the UK for MG's as they are 'ROTBOXES'.
The car Authorities sees lots of RUSTY DANGEROUS WRECKS out on the roads.
It brought it tough Ministry rules to remove them, good running vehicles with rust issues.
What's the best solution?
Make a batch of well built and redesigned HERITAGE bodies.
Then the enthusiasts can have their recreation and re-creation all in ONE!!! :cheers:

The only problem here is the high dollar cars that high dollar investors want to stay rare!
They only made 503 Daytona's, even if they all get found and fixed, they is still rare LOL!!!

5J, they only made 392 C500's and no ones crying over them!

Nwcharger

I'm looking for a frame jig if anyone knows where to find one. I have enough metal to start assembly of the body at this point.
1969 coronet wagon

500Jon

Hi NW.

Good luck with the build!
I've seen a couple 'jigs' on here that are in use at he moment.
Surely those guys would be more than happy to loan you, when they are done.
You could make one real easy with two lengths of RSJ.
All the frame-points are in the manual.
If you start with a full factory floor-pan you are almost there.
If the A-posts are square and perfectly upright, attach the doors and the rest follows on!
Its quite easy once you get started.

Mopar B-body Jig-puzzle.
If I was over there I would do it for you no problemo at all.
5j

wingcarenvy

I just read an article by Mark Worman in Chrysler Power magazine that he is going to pass on attempting to restore this Daytona. Is that true?

http://chryslerpower.com/VirtualSubscriptions/CP18NovDec14/#p=14

Nwcharger

Quote from: wingcarenvy on November 30, 2014, 01:45:03 AM
I just read an article by Mark Worman in Chrysler Power magazine that he is going to pass on attempting to restore this Daytona. Is that true?

I can't see the article but I would guess that's the case. I haven't talked to mark since I took the car down there in August. Kinda sucks but I'm not to worried about it.
1969 coronet wagon

Nwcharger

Picked up that issue last night. Your right. Mark has no interest in restoring my Daytona. Sure wish he would have told me in person. I had a feeling he passed when he never called me back after bringing it down there.  :'(
1969 coronet wagon

moparnation74

Quote from: Nwcharger on December 01, 2014, 09:51:36 AM
Picked up that issue last night. Your right. Mark has no interest in restoring my Daytona. Sure wish he would have told me in person. I had a feeling he passed when he never called me back after bringing it down there.  :'(
Keep in mind about the debacle GYC got into with Rex's 70 charger rt.  After that, I do not see Mark attempting a restoration like yours or Rex's again.

DC_1

Quote from: moparnation74 on December 01, 2014, 11:26:09 AM
Keep in mind about the debacle GYC got into with Rex's 70 charger rt.  After that, I do not see Mark attempting a restoration like yours or Rex's again.

What is the story?

ACUDANUT

No story at that link.

Aero426

Quote from: DC_1 on December 01, 2014, 02:32:37 PM
Keep in mind about the debacle GYC got into with Rex's 70 charger rt.  After that, I do not see Mark attempting a restoration like yours or Rex's again.

What is the story?

He is referring to the story of the green 1970 Charger sent to GYC with heavy rear end damage.      The GYC portion was botched in a major way.    The car had hidden damage from prior repairs. The most recent repair by GYC appears to have been performed by inept technician(s).     How the car got out of the shop thrown together the way it was, is amazing. 

There was a lengthly thread about it here.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,113394.0.html

DC_1

Quote from: Aero426 on December 01, 2014, 04:18:21 PM
Quote from: DC_1 on December 01, 2014, 02:32:37 PM
Keep in mind about the debacle GYC got into with Rex's 70 charger rt.  After that, I do not see Mark attempting a restoration like yours or Rex's again.

What is the story?

He is referring to the story of the green 1970 Charger sent to GYC with heavy rear end damage.      The GYC portion was botched in a major way.    The car had hidden damage from prior repairs. The most recent repair by GYC appears to have been performed by inept technician(s).     How the car got out of the shop thrown together the way it was, is amazing. 

There was a lengthly thread about it here.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,113394.0.html

Thanks, missed that one......Interestng read

Nwcharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 01, 2014, 02:38:57 PM

No story at that link.

When I get home from work ill scan the article and post it.
1969 coronet wagon

500Jon

The guy driving the car behind was thinking ''is that a 71 color'' on a 70 Charger and why is there 71 exhaust tips on there, CRASH!!! :smilielol:
MUST HAVE BEEN A WINGCAR to hit it down so low?

Looks like they will be needing a Jig too.

I would go the extra mile and make a Daytona outta it! :cheers:

5J

ps There's a guy in LA than can fix 'ANYTHING'.
HIS MOTTO IS, '' SAVE AS MUCH ORIGINAL METAL AS POSSIBLE''!!! :2thumbs:
HE WILL ALWAYS GO THE EXTRA MILE for a Mopar!!! :pushup: :pushup: :pushup:

many Wingcars already saved from EXTINCTION. :engel016:

odcics2

Quote from: 500Jon on December 02, 2014, 05:27:17 AM
The guy driving the car behind was thinking ''is that a 71 color'' on a 70 Charger and why is there 71 exhaust tips on there, CRASH!!! :smilielol:
MUST HAVE BEEN A WINGCAR to hit it down so low?

Looks like they will be needing a Jig too.

I would go the extra mile and make a Daytona outta it! :cheers:

5J

ps There's a guy in LA than can fix 'ANYTHING'.
HIS MOTTO IS, '' SAVE AS MUCH ORIGINAL METAL AS POSSIBLE''!!! :2thumbs:
HE WILL ALWAYS GO THE EXTRA MILE for a Mopar!!! :pushup: :pushup: :pushup:

many Wingcars already saved from EXTINCTION. :engel016:

Yes, many and one more on the way!
I just emailed you!

:cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69DAYTONASE

What is the difference whether you build out from the existing parts or attach them to a junkyard body shell other than major cost building out(and not as good of an end result) as opposed to attaching your existing parts to a junkyard body shell, resulting in a much better, and less expensive, restoration. :shruggy: frankly, I would buy a junkyard body shell and have at it! It's not like you are hiding anything from the public. There isn't any reason why this car shouldn't be resurrected.........go for it!
:2thumbs:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

500Jon

Its all down to..... when does the body become the CAR???
Somewhere along the production line a man with stamps, STAMPS IT!
Like most Folks, its just a job, he stamps some wonky, some straight and sometimes WRONG!!!
Then further along the dash frame goes in, or is it the other way round???

A sad Daytona story............
A Mopar Guy (Homer) buys his dream-car.
A few years roll past and the nosecone is removed after an accident along with the rad support.
Its fixed back up as a 70 charger and then it gets rearended on the lefthand corner.
A factory quarter skin is put on and the trunk lip numbers go in the trash!
It still has a XX vin tag and dashtag, but it gets stolen and the tags are removed by a CROOK!
All Mr.Crook wanted was the Hemi and the 4-speed for his racecar.
Mr.Crook pushes the car out into the road and the local yard gets called to remove it.
It sits in the Springfield Yard for years............................

Another Guy (Bart) finds a wrecked Daytona in a Quarry and decides to fix it up.
The bodyshell is really rusty and needs everything.
He goes to a local Yard (SpringField) and its his lucky day!
There a 69/70 rustfree Charger shell sitting there looking for a home.

Guess what happens next???
5J

There are more important things to worry about in this World!!! :'( :'( :'(

Ghoste

Except that the wing cars are investment grade and like any collectable that achieves investment grade status it all and always comes down to pedigree.  What can be proven without a doubt with paperwork, what history is absolutely provable, what is original.  If you pay all the money in this niche only to discover you purchased a rebodied car then you seldom shrug your shoulders and say "no big deal, it still has the same numbers stamped on it as the car I thought I paid a huge dollar for".  What if someone found a rotted baseball that was the one to score a win at a significant game but they were able to use the stitching in a different ball that may have been from the same game even,  is it still worth all the money?
Now if you want a driver, have at it.  But 90% of the time these rebodies pop up again later only to be purported as the same car when in fact they are not, they are the same identification numbers placed on an entirely different car.  If it didn't matter, a lot of the rebody crowd wouldn't go to the trouble to get the numbers on there, they would all be perfectly happy with clones.

ACUDANUT

Either way, it will be a clone. There is nothing there to restore.