News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For 471 to 505 ci stroker, what is the biggest flat tapped hyd Engle cam offered

Started by 1Bad70Charger, September 25, 2010, 04:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

Title says it all, I am gathering information for a 471 to 505 ci stroker build and am aware that Engle offers the following camshaft:

K62/64   244/249, .539/.557 at 110 lsa

Can you Engle Cam Gurus tell me what is the biggest flat tappet hyd. cam that is offered by Engle for my future stroker build or is the K62/64 (the biggest)?

Thanks in advance!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

idahogrumpy

You need to match the cam to the intended purpose and build of the engine, chassis, and driving style. Valve guide clearance, piston choice, valve spring choice, and many other things come into play here. You question is to generic.  Bigger is not better! Ask the cam manufacturer.
Trust me, I've learned this over many years of playing with this. Read Read Read, read everything you can get your hands on about high performance engine building. Talk to people after you have a good understanding of what exactly it is that you want. Do not trust every bodies opinion. After you have studied up on this a while you will be able to tell who is blowing smoke.  :Twocents: Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: idahogrumpy on September 26, 2010, 05:00:56 PM

You need to match the cam to the intended purpose and build of the engine, chassis, and driving style. Valve guide clearance, piston choice, valve spring choice, and many other things come into play here. You question is to generic.  Bigger is not better! Ask the cam manufacturer.
Trust me, I've learned this over many years of playing with this. Read Read Read, read everything you can get your hands on about high performance engine building. Talk to people after you have a good understanding of what exactly it is that you want. Do not trust every bodies opinion. After you have studied up on this a while you will be able to tell who is blowing smoke.  :Twocents: Grumpy

Grump, I agree 100% and am well aware about bigger not being better with cams, and most people over cam their engines and that is a very common mistake along with running too big of a carb. for one's application.

My engine will be built by a consummate professional, who was the former pit crew chief of Schumaker Racing in the 90s on their blown alcohol funny car.  Of course I will look to him for his expertise on my build but am just curios what is the biggest flat tappet hyd cam offered by Engle (nothing more, nothing less).

Glad to see you back in the picture Grump after not being around much after you built that  very impressive 470 ci engine that made 620 ponies and 590 ft lbs using a solid lifter Engle Cam, and if I end up spending the extra $ to make the extra power I am looking for, may end up using that same cam, b/c it made great power throughout the entire RPM band, and if I did use that cam it would most likely be matched up with the Indy 440 EZ-1 Heads that you used on your impressive 470 engine build.   :cheers:.  

That being the same I am curious to see how large of a cam Engle offers in their K series for hyd. flat tappet cams.  I know I can call them this week but today is Sunday and was just curious for a quick bit of info. :shruggy:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Rolling_Thunder

Engle cams got sold out to another company - they do not offer the older cam designs anymore to my knowledge ---  which is very unfortunate.

The largest lobe on the older cams was a K64...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 27, 2010, 02:29:45 PM
Engle cams got sold out to another company - they do not offer the older cam designs anymore to my knowledge ---  which is very unfortunate.

The largest lobe on the older cams was a K64...     

I was told by them 1.5 months ago they still offer their old K-Ramp cams, going to call them now and will report back here!  :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

roger that -  I thought they scrapped the old grinds in favor of their new stuff -----   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

FLG

I ordered a K56 from engle last week. They offer old designs, they just dont list them on there site.

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: FLG on September 27, 2010, 03:35:53 PM
I ordered a K56 from engle last week. They offer old designs, they just dont list them on there site.

Just got off the phone with them and that is correct info!  :cheers:

And yes Rolling Thunder, your right, the biggest hyd flat tappet cam they offer is the K64 with specs of:

249/249, .557/.557 all at .050 on a 110 lsa.

Do you guys thing that cam would make BIG power and would be a good selection for a flat tappet hyd cam for a 505 stroker or are there better options out there in a flat tappet (hyd.) cam (for a 505 stoker)?

Also, to the poster above, can I get the specs on their K56 at .050.  Thanks guys!  :cheers:

FLG

:2thumbs:

K56 is 224@.050 & .504 lift

Too small for that motor, nice for a mild 440.

Rob R

That K62 Really makes some onions..!! but it's too fast for a hyd lifter to follow...it just cant keep up even with zero preload.If you use a solid lifter on it and set the lash at .005 it makes 10 hp and 10 ft lbs more.If you want to use that grind I get them to put a .014 and a .016 quieting ramp on it and use solid lifters...it's a fast lobe for a hyd cam with about a 165@200...it closes the valve hard.

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Rob R on October 04, 2010, 11:48:47 AM
That K62 Really makes some onions..!! but it's too fast for a hyd lifter to follow...it just cant keep up even with zero preload.If you use a solid lifter on it and set the lash at .005 it makes 10 hp and 10 ft lbs more.If you want to use that grind I get them to put a .014 and a .016 quieting ramp on it and use solid lifters...it's a fast lobe for a hyd cam with about a 165@200...it closes the valve hard.

Looks like b/c of monetary constraints thanks to my wife's business (just lost out on a larger order we were banking on) I will just be working with my existing 440 shortblock and going with the following much smaller Engle cam that Ron (Firefighter) has suggested for my 440 build-up over this winter using Eddy Heads I just bought today:

K58 is 230*@.050 & .520 lift
K60 is 238*@.050 & .534 lift

To the above poster, you don't have the same concerns for this considerably smaller Engle cam do you?

Belgium R/T -68

I run the K60 with 112° lsa in my 500 stroker and its the strongest beast I ever drove.
Had the K56 in my stock 440 in the GTX and it gave also a very good impression concerning
idle, torque and power.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 26, 2010, 02:00:12 PM
I run the K60 with 112° lsa in my 500 stroker and its the strongest beast I ever drove.
Had the K56 in my stock 440 in the GTX and it gave also a very good impression concerning
idle, torque and power.

Per

That sounds very encouraging I went with Engle b/c of their stellar reputation here and posts like yours!  :2thumbs:

The Engle cam your running the K60, is one size larger than what I recently purchased that I posted above about (the K58/K60), or did you go with the same cam I reference and post the specs on in reply #10 above?

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker