News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Elgin Cams

Started by Bigun426, September 25, 2010, 12:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigun426

My 440 was purchased from a builder who used a Elgin cam. In the cam grinding world where does Elgin stand compaired to the big names?

1Bad70Charger

Are you sure you don't mean Engle cam?

Never heard of Elgin Cams but I am no experts on all cam companys out there.  :scratchchin:

I bet its an Engle cam and if it is, your a lucky man be happy, as they make some of the best cams available for a 440 ci Mopar!  :cheers:

OK, I just did a google search and yes there is company making "Elgin Camshafts" which I have 0 knowledge on  :shruggy: but others here will help you out I'm sure (and best of luck with your new 440 engine).  :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Ghoste

No, there is an Elgin Cams.  I don't know much about them but I do know they exist, or did at least.

Update:  Still do;
http://elgincams.com/

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Ghoste on September 25, 2010, 02:49:15 PM
No, there is an Elgin Cams.  I don't know much about them but I do know they exist, or did at least.

Update:  Still do;
http://elgincams.com/

Yes your right Ghoste, they certainly still do and here is some additional great informational reading from Elgin's website on its founding father, theirs camshafts, compression, heads, etc., etc:

http://www.elgincams.com/campaper.html

The company from its website seems to know their stuff and pretty impressive website (so that's a start in the right direction).  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

oldkimmer

,,,,,,,,,,they r pretty low on the totom pole...........kim...........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elacruze

Elgin has been around FOR EVER. I always considered them 'the rebuilders choice'. I had no idea they did so much custom work. I'm not sure I'd use them for a Mopar, since there are so many other companies with great cams as well as custom grinders-but if I had an Abarth Simca that needed a cam I may give them a call.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.