News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger ad question-mother warned me prospector version

Started by Ghoste, September 25, 2010, 11:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I'm sure I've asked this before but to no avail.
The 1969 ad for Charger featuring the old prospector under the "mother warned me" tagline with copy to suit- I have a copy of this ad but it is a reproduction.  I have only seen this ad crop up within the last 5 or 6 years and it has only been as a photocopy at swap meets.
Does ANYONE actually own an orginal copy of this ad?  Can anyone provide a source (magazine, month and year) where it was ACTUALLY used in print?

1969chargerrtse

I'm confused?  This ad?  The reverse side is where it's from. I had it taped on my wall in 69. :2thumbs:
My dream car. 69 Charger R/T SE in T5 with white top and stripe. :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

It's a seldom seen version of that ad.  It is the same car and headline but with an old man and different copy indicating that buying a Charger was his downfall because it attracted evil women (more or less).
I'm looking for hard proof though that it isn't just a spoof someone created.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on September 25, 2010, 01:41:58 PM
It's a seldom seen version of that ad.  It is the same car and headline but with an old man and different copy indicating that buying a Charger was his downfall because it attracted evil women (more or less).
I'm looking for hard proof though that it isn't just a spoof someone created.
Yeah would love to see a copy.  Never seen that?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

UFO

This one?
I have not seen in it actual magazine form yet.

Ghoste

1969chargerrtse

I just held my original up to that picture and I say it's original. Here's why. Look at the reflection on the rear bumper to the right of the R/T emblem. The one for the girl is different than the one for the guy. You can see his head distorted on the bumper, and kinda her dress on her shot.
Also the DODGE lettering is higher up on the sand whereas its lower in the man picture.
And his shawdow on the sand, etc...

Ghoste

Okay, find me a source then.  (btw, how did they duplicate the ripples in the water for both shots?  :icon_smile_big:)

Brock Samson

That ad is my least Fav. the guy looks like a 45 yr old bum...  :shruggy: I'd rather ride with the chick, sorry..  :-\

Alaskan_TA

Clark?

I do not think they would go that far in advertising back then.

I'll say BOGUS!  :smilielol:

UFO

Quote from: Ghoste on September 25, 2010, 02:41:54 PM
Okay, find me a source then.  (btw, how did they duplicate the ripples in the water for both shots?  :icon_smile_big:)

I have noticed a lot of the truck ad's in that era are touched up photos from the previous year(some cases year's).
I would also think I would have come across an original by now.

tan top

:scratchchin:  i have seen that one before  either in a mag or on the net somewhere :scratchchin:  ,  just cant remember where !!  think its a fake though :scratchchin: :shruggy:   :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

41husk

check with 6pkrunner, I have purchased over 30 Mopar posters from him and would bet he probably has it.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on September 25, 2010, 02:41:54 PM
Okay, find me a source then.  (btw, how did they duplicate the ripples in the water for both shots?  :icon_smile_big:)
Believe it or not but I held the two pictures close together and the water marks and ripples differ.  I think ? I wonder how they get the tires so perfect on top of the sand, no sinkage at all.  Looks like she has sand on the foot kicked back.
Just noticed it looks like you can see the tire track for the right tire behind their legs.

Brock Lee

I put a cleaner version of the one with the girl and the prospector one on Photoshop and overlaid them. The water ripples are the same, the sun is gleaming off the trunk in the same spot, and there even appears to be some tweaking of the shadows on the old guy. There also appears to be a remnant of the girls shadow left. It is in front of her right (our left) foot. It looks to be her arm or elbow shadow melding with the shadow of the car. A piece of that shadow is there integrated into the shadow of his leg (same shape for the part that meets the car shadow).

Reflections are not hard for Photoshop pros to fake.

The old guy also looks to have 2 different calves and feet?

6pkrunner

Its real and was not used very often. It took me a few years to locate a decent copy. Playboy ran it off and on for a few issues. I think mine came out of a Playboy - but be darned if I can remember the month it ran.

1969chargerrtse

Wow interesting stuff Brock lee and 6pkrunner.  :2thumbs:
So the question is answered.  It's real.

Bigun426

Quote from: UFO on September 25, 2010, 01:55:47 PM
This one?
I have not seen in it actual magazine form yet.
You have to read the full ad to get the point 

Ghoste

If you recall the issue 6pk, let me know.  And thanks btw.

UFO

Quote from: 6pkrunner on September 26, 2010, 07:09:30 AM
Its real and was not used very often. It took me a few years to locate a decent copy. Playboy ran it off and on for a few issues. I think mine came out of a Playboy - but be darned if I can remember the month it ran.

The Julia ad is in the nov 68 edition.
They have a advertiser directory on the last page so you don't have to flip thru every page to locate the right issue.Unless of course you really want to. :lol:

Ghoste

Not the Julia one, it's the prospector one I am hunting.  (thanks though)

6pkrunner

Check the reply in your Lee Trevino quest - the Bowling Green "prospector" ad is there also.