News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buying a New Dana 60 for a 69 Charger R/T 4-speed clone

Started by Chatt69chgr, September 07, 2010, 10:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I've played around on the net and see that you can order a complete Dana 60 for a 69 Charger from Strange, Moser, DTS, or Dr. Diff.

Could someone who is familiar with these tick off the most important things to consider.  I want the car Dana so I want the pinion snubber.  In my case, I want the 3.54 gear set and either the Trak-Lok or Power-Lok(can you even get this anymore?) suregrip.  I'll be putting std drum brakes on this like they did in 69.  I want the 35 spline axles and I think they all come with a 1350 yoke.  I don't want green bearings.  I think the std width was 54.936 inches flange to flange.  Is this the correct width for 69 Charger?  Should I spec the width to be slightly narrower, maybe a 1/2 inch on each side to accept wider tires---just for looks?  What about the load on the wheel bearings----how is it set.  Don't you have to have .008 to .015 play?  Is there an adjuster on one side?  And what about setting up the backlash on the ring/pinion.  Is this adjustable on some of the newer Dana clones?  What is a case spreader and what is it used for?  I think I want to get the housing powder coated.  My application is just a R/T clone fun street car.  No drag racing.  It is a 4-speed car.  I know I don't need one but I want one anyway.  I do have a possible option of a used one.  What would be the most one should pay for a used one in good condition considering you would need to have the seals replaced and then have it taken apart, blasted, and then powder coated.  I don't care about numbers matching.  All replies appreciated.

firefighter3931

Call Dr Diff and have him build it to your specifications.  :2thumbs:

7290 pinion yokes are certainly available for the D60.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chatt69chgr

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Strange S60 for my 69 Charger.  The stock width is 55 inches.  Some have suggested that I would be better off getting a slightly narrower width of 54-1/4.  That would be 3/8 less on each side which would help if I wanted to use a wider tire.  Right now, I don't see using anything bigger than a 2.75 60 15 tire.  Any suggestions?  This car will be for street use only.  Of should I just stick with the stock width?  Dr Diff says most of the S60's he orders are 54-1/4 width.  And I will be ordering through him.

In addition, I'm thinking of going with the true-trak over the trak-lok.  Any thoughts concerning this upgrade?  It costs $300 more and uses helical gears instead of clutches.  The Powr-LOk is not available.  From what I've read, it's smoother than the clutch type and, obviously, doesn't have any clutches to be periodically replaced.  However, Eaton doesn't offer a rebuild kit for it should it wear out.  I'm thinking I would never wear it out anyway.   

elacruze

I have a Tru-Trac in the front D60 on my '85 GMC 4x4. It's pure magic. You'll never know it's in there unless you're smoking the rubber. IMO these are the best street locker ever made. Super smooth, locks hard enough you can't over power one side and it won't wear out. The only downside is the expense.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Chatt69chgr

Thanks elacurze.  You have made my mind up on the true-trak. 

Now----Anybody want to chime in on the width.  Should I go with the 55 inch or narrow it a hare to 54-1/4?

Chatt69chgr

Help-----Dr. Diff has answered all my questions except the one concerning the width.  As soon as I'm comfortable on this point I'll order from him. 

69 Chargers with 8-3/4 rear ends were flange to flange 55 inches.
69 Chargers with Dana 60 rear ends were flange to flange 54.936 inches.

Strange builds the S60's to what ever width you want---no stock---all built to order.

Question to anyone that bought a Dana 60 from DTS, Moser, or Strange for a 68-70 Charger----what width did you specify and why. 

firefighter3931

I had Cass (Dr Diff) build mine to stock 68 specs.  :yesnod: Honestly, unless you're running a huge tire out back there's loads of room in those wheelwells.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

six-tee-nine

Are you going with the tru trac?

I'ml tackling the same questions pretty soon so I can use a little extra imput.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Chatt69chgr

I finally got all my question answered and will be ordering tomorrow.  I'm getting the standard S60 complete rear end in 3.54 ratio, 35 spline axles, steel 1350 u-joint, 1/2 inch by 2 inch studs for $1895.  They tell me that the axle flange to axle flange measurement is 60 inches and housing flange to housing flange is 55 inches.  I'll be going with standard Mopar brakes with 2-1/2 inch width shoes which I will supply.  If you were to use brakes that were 2 inch or 3 inch width then your dimensions would be a little different.  Where I'll deviate from their standard offering is that I will get ford ends but the housing flanges will be drilled for Mopar backing plates.  This will give me the tapered roller bearings instead of the '"green" bearings that I do not want.  And with this setup, no end play adjustment is necessary like on the old Dana 60.  All I have to do is enlarge the center hole in my backing plates to 3.155 inches and they will bolt right on.  The S60 comes with two drilled and tapped holes with plugs in them for attaching the brass TEE for the brake hardlines.  One hole is either in or right at the edge of the center section.  The other is over a couple of inches.  In either case, Inline tube does not have the premade brake lines----they only have them for the original Dana 60.  But they will make the correct lines if I send them the dimensions or a coat hanger straightened out and bent exactly like I want the new lines.  $45 for the lines in SS.  $14 for the brass TEE.  And they don't have the attaching bolt.  The standard backing plate for the centersection is now steel painted black with a fill plug but no drain plug.  The standard non adjustable pinion snubber is $69.  They told me that nobody makes a 1350 to 7290 cross u-joint but no matter since I have not bought the drive shaft yet.  I plan on getting it from Strange later and will get 1350 on both ends.
Now to answer your original question.  Strange told me that the Track-Lok is only good to 450 HP.  The True Track is good to $600 HP.  So I'll be adding that for an additional $299.  Shipping should be approx $150 to $200 to Chattanooga.  A lift gate setting it on my driveway is $50 extra.  I plan to order from DR. Diff.   

Chatt69chgr

S60 is ordered. 

Has anyone solved the problem of the best rear brake hose to buy for use with this rear end in a 69 Charger?  My best guess so far is a Raybestos BH36650 which is 13.875 inches long and has a male 7/16-20 on one end and a female 3/8-24 on the other. 

pistolgrip

why a dana 60, just curious, they are an excellent rearend, but very heavy. unless you are going to use the car at the track, i would go for an 8 and 3/4. that is the route i went with, been very pleased. it is alot cheaper, alot lighter. not as strong, but strong enough for my mildly built 440/6-pack. good luck. im sure what ever you choose, you will be happy with

thanks
pistolgrip

Chatt69chgr

You are correct on the weight.  Just wanted to put in what would have been there from the factory.  And more money right now than sense probably.  I'm retired and blowing the money I make contracting on my hobbies.  Can't take it with you.

Oh----and by the way---I don't need any bridges or swamp land in Fla.  Ha! Ha!

six-tee-nine

I'm with you on that My original R/T will receive a 4 speed gear box too and will also get the dana in the rear to replace the 8-3/4.
Why? because thats the way they came from the factory and I always like to see a bolted axle cover on a 4gear Mopar....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...