News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Woman Fends Off Bear With Zucchini

Started by Old Moparz, September 24, 2010, 07:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

This reminds me of the Monty Python episode where the self defense instructor teaches you how to defend yourself against someone attacking you with a piece of fruit.  :lol:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnSeKHnB_k8

Montana Woman Fends Off Bear Attack With Zucchini

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100923/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_bear_attack_zucchini

By MATT VOLZ, Associated Press Writer Matt Volz, Associated Press Writer   – Thu Sep 23, 7:18 pm ET

HELENA, Mont. – A Montana woman fended off a bear trying to muscle its way into her home Thursday by pelting the animal with a large piece of zucchini from her garden. The woman suffered minor scratches and one of her dogs was wounded after tussling with the 200-pound bear. The attack happened just after midnight when the woman let her three dogs into the backyard for their nighttime ritual before she headed to bed, Missoula County Sheriff's Lt. Rich Maricelli said.

Authorities believe the black bear was just 25 yards away, eating apples from a tree. Two of the dogs sensed the bear, began barking and ran away, Maricelli said. The third dog, a 12-year-old collie that wasn't very mobile, remained close to the woman as she stood in the doorway of the home near Frenchtown in western Montana. Before she knew what was happening, the bear was on top of the dog and batting the collie back and forth, Maricelli said.

"She kicked the bear with her left leg as hard as she could, and she said she felt like she caught it pretty solidly under the chin," Maricelli said. But as she kicked, the bruin swiped at her leg with its paw and ripped her jeans. The bear then turned its full attention to the woman in the doorway. She retreated into the house and tried to close the door, but the bear stuck its head and part of a shoulder through the doorway. The woman held onto the door with her right hand. With her left, she reached behind and grabbed a 14-inch zucchini that she had picked from her garden earlier and was sitting on the kitchen counter, Maricelli said.

She threw the vegetable. It bopped the bruin on the top of its head and the animal fled, Maricelli said. The woman called for help from a relative staying with her. They found the collie outside, unable to move, and took it to a veterinarian. The dog appeared to be fine on Thursday, but the vet was keeping it for observation, Maricelli said. The woman did not need medical attention for the scratches on her leg, though she got a tetanus shot as a precaution, Maricelli said.

Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks officials set up a trap in an attempt to capture the bear, the agency said in a statement. Besides the nearby fruit trees, there wasn't anything on the woman's property that would attract a bear into the backyard, like garbage or livestock feed, wildlife officials said. Maricelli interviewed the woman, but said the sheriff's office was complying with her wish not to identify her. "She was very, very shaken, and it kind of took the humor portion out of it for me," Maricelli said. "She said it had this horrific growl and was snarling. But she can see the humor in it, and she wanted the story put out so the local residents can take precautionary measures," he added.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

RECHRGD

So if I put a large zucchini beside my bird feeders the bear will leave them alone?
13.53 @ 105.32

Old Moparz

Quote from: RECHRGD on September 24, 2010, 09:31:53 AM
So if I put a large zucchini beside my bird feeders the bear will leave them alone?

It might take the zucchini.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 24, 2010, 10:39:19 AM

And then come after you and beat you senseless with it.  :D
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Old Moparz

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 24, 2010, 10:48:02 AM
Quote from: Old Moparz on September 24, 2010, 10:39:19 AM

And then come after you and beat you senseless with it.  :D

Unless you have a good zucchini recipe, with honey like this zucchini bread, & teach it to cook.  :lol:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/soaked-zucchini-bread-recipe/

* 3 C. freshly ground whole wheat flour
    * 2 C. yogurt
    * 2 C. grated zucchini
    * 1 tsp. sea salt
    * 3 eggs (from pastured hens)
    * 1/4 C. melted coconut oil
    * 1/4 C. honey
    * 3 tsp. cinnamon
    * 3 tsp. vanilla
    * 2 tsp. baking soda

Begin with your freshly milled whole wheat flour.

Add in your yogurt and stir until a batter forms.

Cover with a plate and let sit for 12-24 hours. The longer you let it sit, the more developed the flavor will become. Plus, the longer you let it set, the more digestible the grain will become.

About an hour before you're ready to put the bread in the oven, grate your zucchini, sprinkle it with the salt, and let it sit for an hour.

After an hour, you'll notice a significant amount of water collecting in the bottom of your bowl. Drain the water, then pat your zucchini dry using a white towel.

Add the zucchini, eggs, coconut oil, honey, cinnamon, vanilla, and baking soda to your mixing bowl and mix until evenly distributed.

Pour the batter into an oiled & floured 9X4 baking pan.

Bake at 350F for 1.5 hours or until a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean. Remove from pan and let cool completely before slicing, toasting, and serving with a healthy dollop of butter from grass-fed cows. YUM!
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

adauto

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

chargergirl

I'd taske on the bear for my babies...furry and regular but amazing it left when it was struck by the veggie!
Trust your Woobie!

Khyron

I would comment in here but I feed the mods would ban me for life :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Orange_Crush

That's funny because I attract women with MY Zucchini.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

MoparManJim

Quote from: Khyron on September 30, 2010, 08:55:49 AM
I would comment in here but I feed the mods would ban me for life :D

Boy, that must be a very very bad thought or I should say comment then! :lol: