News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Black Widow" '57 Clone Honors GM's Racing Heritage

Started by Rustymuscle, September 23, 2010, 03:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustymuscle

Possibly One of the Rarest Examples of GM-built Race Cars, the "Black Widow;" This Clone Goes Up For Auction Tonight
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/57-black-widow-chevrolet-tribute-auction-tonight/

The Black Widow was the brainchild of Vince Piggins, the former lead Hudson racing engineer. GM set him up with a shop called Southern Engineering and Development Co., or SEDCO for short. Piggins then took a plain-Jane 1957 Chevy One-Fifty Utility Sedan (called the "150" for short) and turned it into one bad ass racing machine, using off-the-shelf GM performance parts. Powering this humble car was a fuel-injected 283 engine (which would later be banned from NASCAR halfway through the 1957 season). This was the first engine to ever make one horsepower per-cubic inch. It also got a three-speed manual transmission, 20 gallon fuel tank, two shocks-per-wheel, while everything deemed unnecessary for racing, like the arm rests, cigarette lighter and radio, were stripped out.

Light 'em up,
Kevin Shaw
Editor
StreetLegalTV
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

Ghoste

Quote from: Rustymuscle on September 23, 2010, 03:20:32 PM
(snip) Piggins then took a plain-Jane 1957 Chevy.
(snip) Powering this humble car was a fuel-injected 283 engine (which would later be banned from NASCAR halfway through the 1957 season).
(snip)

This was the first engine to ever make one horsepower per-cubic inch.

Light 'em up,
Kevin Shaw
Editor
StreetLegalTV

You know Kevin, I appreciate the fact that you are trying to get as many of us as you can to log onto your website but when you claim the 1957 Chev race version of the 283 fuelie was the first engine to make 1 hp per cubic inch I can't help but wonder about the 1956 354 Hemi's.  The 10 to 1 compression versions made 355.
Or am I wrong?

Mike DC

Those Chevys actually had 6-lug wheels as I recall.  They're indeed some pretty rare MoFos for a GM product. 

Ghoste

For that matter, wern't both the DeSoto Adventurer and Dodge out in 57 with the 1hp per inch before the Chevy?  That Chevy didn't come out until the new year did it?  The DeSoto with a 341 Hemi and dual fours made the mark and if I'm not mistaken a Dodge 325 Poly head hit the number as well and both in the beginning of the model year I think.
Not to take away from the rarity or coolness of the Black Widows but I do get tired of hearing that Chevy first to make 1hp per inch myth repeated over and over.

elacruze

There were a Buttload of pre-WWII engines that made more than 1hp/cu.in. Most of them were supercharged or turbocharged though. AFAIK the Chrysler FirePower 392 was the first American-made engine to do so, followed by the 283 Chevy.
The Manx Norton was introduced in 1937, 1/2 litre (30 cu. in.) made 50 horsepower with only two valves and a single piston.

I luv teh internetz.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Rustymuscle

Ghostie, you're exactly right. I've gone back through Chris' article and corrected it to read, "This was the first GM engine to ever make one horsepower per-cubic inch"  

-Kevin
1970 Dodge Super Bee

RD

kevin,

as much as i love your mopar oriented posts, such chevy posts just doing nothing for me.  especially on this site.  I am not saying do not do them, I am just putting forth my input so as to make you a more informed editor in regards to your postings to this site.

I know I "DO NOT" speak for everyone and will not claim to, but I do speak for myself.  With that being said, I will be honest with you.  A Buick, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac will garner more of my interest and desire to read an article from your site than "ANY" chevy article.

I mean no disrespect and truly admire your website.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Rustymuscle

RD, no disrespect taken. From here on out, no more Bow Tie or Blue Oval posts. My apologizes, fellas.

-Kevin
1970 Dodge Super Bee

Ghoste

It is supposed to be a general car section but it's a fine line between being open minded and seeing too much of the makes we consider already get too much exposure.  I like reading about other stuff but we are rather biased towards the best brand here aren't we?  That is the nice thing about your site though, I can slip over there to view material on others.
All the same, I hope you still offer us some insight every now and again on the competition.

The70RT

At least he isn't posting Cadillac pics like someone did a few days ago thinking a bunch of us owned or cared  :eyes:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RD

Quote from: Rustymuscle on September 24, 2010, 10:38:17 AM
RD, no disrespect taken. From here on out, no more Bow Tie or Blue Oval posts. My apologizes, fellas.

-Kevin

Kevin,

Please do not do that.  I am just voicing my opinion, not everyone's.  They all deserve to see the cars.  I just wish you can show more buick, olds, pontiac over chevy stuff (i have chevy stuff hammered down my throat all the time).  its just my preference, not everyones.  I apologize if i did not clear it up better than that.

Jamey
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Brock Samson

Quote from: The70RT on September 24, 2010, 03:27:23 PM
At least he isn't posting Cadillac pics like someone did a few days ago thinking a bunch of us owned or cared  :eyes:

Ouch you hurt my little feeling...  :slap:

Rustymuscle

No, no. I just know that I'm needing to tread lightly posting content from another website - although we're in no way a live, functioning forum, rather a magazine. I'll bend and honor any suggestions and demands given of me as I feel that I am a guest in your house. If you say no Chevys, so be it.

But, if you guys like old school gassers, we did do a really nice photo gallery of latter-day-built vintage gassers. You can check it out here:
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/gassers-a-modern-photo-collection/

-Kevin
1970 Dodge Super Bee

TK73

Put up all the posts of cool cars you want here.

Purists can stay in the Charger only section.

"Car Guys Discussion:
Everything automobile related (other than Chargers): other Mopars, trucks, NASCAR, Brand X, models, toys, gas prices, videos, burnouts, etc. "

PS:  COOL CAR
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

RD

um.. i didnt say he could not post that stuff, and i am by far NOT a purist.  i just put forth my opinion regarding the "chevy" label.  i would rather see pontiac, olds, and buick before chevy's.  i see enough of them as is.  show me something i havent witnessed is all i am saying.

Ghoste

TK73

Quote from: RD on September 25, 2010, 12:04:39 PM
um.. i didnt say he could not post that stuff, and i am by far NOT a purist.  i just put forth my opinion regarding the "chevy" label.  i would rather see pontiac, olds, and buick before chevy's.  i see enough of them as is.  show me something i havent witnessed is all i am saying.

Well, the Gasser one is "different"...

LOVE GASSERS!!
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

The70RT

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 24, 2010, 05:55:52 PM
Quote from: The70RT on September 24, 2010, 03:27:23 PM

Ouch you hurt my little feeling...  :slap:

OUCH.....no slapping  :lol:

1969chargerrtse

The 57 clone does little for me , because it's a clone.  To me the history just isn't interesting enough for a clone car that is kinda boring looking.  I like some clones like Hemi cars and Daytona's just not that one. And this coming from a guy that had a 57 nomad for his high school car.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Brock Samson

i bet you'll appreciate this one...

elacruze

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 26, 2010, 12:22:59 PM
i bet you'll appreciate this one...

Ho Hum.

Just another "I can't make it go fast enough so I'll make it look cooler" car. Those rear-engine wheelie rigs ceased to be interesting right after the Hemi-under-glass.

I'd rather have seen that car on the street with a 500 inch Cadillac engine in it.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Brock Samson

:angel: well at least it's not a another green cutlass..  :D

Ghoste

I like it Brock.  What can you say?  Sometimes it's a tough crowd. :lol:

Brock Samson

The70RT

Yeah I know but having only 6K in the car I can't complain. I did get first place at a small town show three weeks ago and beat out a 55 & a 57. (note the lack of duct tape around the wheel wells)  :D