News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What transmission

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, September 23, 2010, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I have a 727 TF in my 68 that is original to the car, a 383 HP four barrel. Is this the same tranny that would have been in an R/T 440 car?

Thanks,

RD

yes and no.  it is a 727 which is the same as all big blocks, but the internal components would be different.  these components are:

intermediate band lever
front and rear pinions
governor
torque converter

that being said, a 383 727 can be overhauled to have the same components as a R/T based 727. 

Is their really a difference between the two regarding performance?  Yes in regards to the 1-2, and 2-3 shifts, also the shift points.

Is their really a difference in durability?  None that you will ever notice.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

In '68 the 383-4 and the 440HP used the exact same transmission P/N 2801541.

The converter was different, the 383 used the 11" convertrer and the 440 used the 12" converter.

Ditto for '69, '70 and later had different units for 383/440.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chatt69chgr

I think I read that in 78 the TF started being supplied with a lock up converter which gave problems.  Also read that their was a change on the bearing on the front planetary or something like that in I think 71.  So would 71's through 77's be the best TF's to rebuild using all the good parts similar to what I saw on the A&A Transmission website for a restomod muscle car?  And who has the best shift kit?  Transgo?  I don't have any immediate application but have a 69 BB TF and a 77 BB TF and was thinking that I might get rid of one and keep the other for a future car.

RD

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on September 23, 2010, 06:16:43 PM
I think I read that in 78 the TF started being supplied with a lock up converter which gave problems.  Also read that their was a change on the bearing on the front planetary or something like that in I think 71.  So would 71's through 77's be the best TF's to rebuild using all the good parts similar to what I saw on the A&A Transmission website for a restomod muscle car?  And who has the best shift kit?  Transgo?  I don't have any immediate application but have a 69 BB TF and a 77 BB TF and was thinking that I might get rid of one and keep the other for a future car.

really, it doesnt matter which year you use in regards to what is best or not. you can build any 66-77 transmission to do exactly what you want.  Some like 70 and below transmissions due to the front servo piston not having the "cushioning" effects of the 71-77 transmissions in regards to a firmer shift from 2-3.  Some like the 71 and up trans just for the opposite of that.  Some dont like the fact that the 71 and ups no longer have the solid intermediate band, whereas the 70 and below did.

either way, using any 66-77 transmission will work fine if you have a competent builder overhaul it to do exactly what you want it to do.  There are so many different things you can do to a transmission to have it perform or function the way you want it, you can use about any transmission (sans a pushbutton) with minimal modification to achieve your desired results.

personally, i would sell the 69 to someone who needs a date coded transmission if you do not care about what trans you put in there.  then use the funds you get and apply them to your 77.  but, that is my two cents.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on September 23, 2010, 06:16:43 PM
Also read that their was a change on the bearing on the front planetary or something like that in I think 71. 

The only real changes to the front planetary were the angle of the splines where it engages the output shaft, the first change came in '76 and the second in '94. Unfortunately the earlier splines will fit the later output shafts with disasterous results so it's wise to be careful when swapping parts from one year to another.

The splines in the aluminum front planetary have always been one of the 727's weak spots so the change in spline pitch angle was an attempt to prevent failures.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.