News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need your advice on very tuff decison for me 472 Hemi vs. 505 (440) stroker?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, September 22, 2010, 12:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

I have two hot local leads on a unassembled 472 Hemi and a complete oil pan to carb 505 stroker making HUGE Power (655hp/634tq) on pump gas (10:8 to 1 compression).  This is for my 69 Plymouth Roadrunner which I love and is a keeper for me so I want to do it once and want to do it right (its future engine).  I drive the car over 1000 miles a year on the streets and highways going to many local cruise nights that I enjoy and of course love to let her rip and smoke em up, whenever I get the chance and da man is not around!  ;)

Here we go on the Hemi, all the parts are brand new parts I need to make a 472 10:7 to 1 compression pump gas Hemi for $8,500 complete unassembled what do yo guys think about this price ($8,500) everything is band new and never used.

1. new 426 water jacket block 4.25 bore (built around 2000 never used)

2. MP 4.15 stroker crank

3. Diamond Pistons

4. H Beam Eagle Rods

5. Single Plane Mopar Performance Manifold Intake (I only want to run one carb on the street)

6. MP Alum Hemi Heads (bigger Valves)

7. Crane .567 hyd roller cam with lifters

8. Complete Mopar Performance Roller Rockers (all parts needed for expensive rocker arm assembly

9. New flat black Hemi MP Hemi Valve Covers

Me think that I almost should grab all this at this price as it should be the perfect set-up to make around 550HP on pump gas (93 octane)

However, here is my dilema I am not hung up on Hemi engines although I would like to have have one, as I know it will be a better  investment for me and of course will be a bigger WOW factor at the many cruise nights I enjoy each summer.

BUT:

For $8,000 I can also buy a complete 505 stroker engine (wedge) milodon pan to carb, using the best parts that $ can buy with all documentation and dyno sheets making an incredible 655 HP and 634 ft lbs of torque, including headers that will fit my 69 Road Runner and a King Demon 859 Carb (all for 8,000) with MSD Distributor and all wires (no MSD Box).

Only about 300 miles on the engine no issues; I know the guy personally he is no nonsense and very ANAL, and yanked it out of his runner when he decided he had to have a Hemi. This 505 stroker 440 engine makes all this power with cnc ported Indy SR Heads and a real nice solid cam .622/.628 lift 254/260, 112 lsa, all at .050 valve operation This car is making GOBS of power throughout the entire rpm band and still pulling hard at 6400 rpm.    :coolgleamA:

What do you guys think this is a tuff decision I can make MORE power obviously with the 505 motor for less money but it won't be a Hemi!

Let me know what deal do you think is better price wise between these two set-ups, which way you would go and why, and thanks in advance!  cheers

What do you guys think?   :shruggy:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

tan top

would love a elephant motor  to drop in my charger !!  , but that 505 wedge sounds a heck of a motor  :yesnod:  plus the 8k on the hemi , its not going to stop there by the time its built , & other mods you will need to do , motor mounts or K frame etc   :scratchchin: :shruggy:  this would be a tough choice for me  :yesnod: :shruggy: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: RD on September 22, 2010, 07:57:35 AM
wedge, hands down.  do you really need more than 634hp?

No, the Wedge 505 stroker is making the perfect amount of serious horsepower for the street, and fits my needs and budget for looking to make my car capable of a high ten second pass, which is always my goal, a ten second street car. She will see the strip a few times and that's it, just LOVE the idea of having a high 10 second pump gas  Mopar B-Body (nothing like it)!  :2thumbs:

655 Horsepower and 634 ft lbs of Torque.

I also know the Hemi will not break that important 600HP barrier for me with the 472 cubes on pump gas and basic heads it would be running, but that darn Hemi mystique and added value to the car makes this a tuff decision, although I am leaning towards the 505 Stroker b/c it makes more power, will probably have less issues, is MUCH more affordable when its all said and done, etc., but still look forward to your opinions which way you would go between these two engines for for your car.
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

knitz01

firefighter3931

Hemi for show...Wedge for GO  :icon_smile_big:

The only time i would consider a Hemi would be for an all out race application or a supercharged street/strip ride. The power per dollar invested is just not comparable to a properly built wedge.  :Twocents:

That 505 sounds like a great deal and you have the added bonus of knowing the owner and it's history.  :2thumbs:
If you buy the disassembled Hemi expect another 4k-5k in Parts/labor to get it up and running.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 22, 2010, 09:53:59 AM

The only time i would consider a Hemi would be for an all out race application or a supercharged street/strip ride. The power per dollar invested is just not comparable to a properly built wedge.  :Twocents:

That 505 sounds like a great deal and you have the added bonus of knowing the owner and it's history.  :2thumbs:
If you buy the disassembled Hemi expect another 4k-5k in Parts/labor to get it up and running.

Ron

Ron,

I have to agree with you my friend 100%.  :cheers:  Now where can I come up with $8,000 asap!   ;)

elacruze

Ron

AMEN.

I was just thinking, I'd love to have a HEMI when the hood's open, but while moving down the road I'd not give up the wedge.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

68X426

Ha ha, funny. I know one Hemi that GOES and that's all that matters.   ::)

The power per dollar invested is just not comparable to a properly built wedge.  :Twocents:

As a part of the Hemi cult (but having had 440s in days gone by), I can confirm it's a fact: there is simply more bang for the buck in the 440. There are certain, how shall I say, future financial obligations to the Hemi that just don't happen with a 440.

440 gets total respect from every Hemi owner I know and it is awe inspiring. I'd advise to make that 440 happen.

(Bad70: keep in mind that I'm your Road Runner bro' and sleep with my Hemi, but the 440 rocks and you find peace and love with the wedge).

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: 68X426 on September 22, 2010, 11:09:11 AM

Ha ha, funny. I know one Hemi that GOES and that's all that matters.   ::)

The power per dollar invested is just not comparable to a properly built wedge.  :Twocents:

As a part of the Hemi cult (but having had 440s in days gone by), I can confirm it's a fact: there is simply more bang for the buck in the 440. There are certain, how shall I say, future financial obligations to the Hemi that just don't happen with a 440.

440 gets total respect from every Hemi owner I know and it is awe inspiring. I'd advise to make that 440 happen.

(Bad70: keep in mind that I'm your Road Runner bro' and sleep with my Hemi, but the 440 rocks and you find peace and love with the wedge).

Thanks Bro and to everyone else who responded/responds to this thread!  :cheers:

Belgium R/T -68

I choosed the 440 stroker for power in the charger and the Hemi for the "magic" in the challenger.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Scaregrabber

As a 30 year Hemi owner I would recommend you buy the wedge. The MP hemi heads are the first problem, they drop valve seats on a regular basis, the single 4 intake is pretty much a junk piece too, so right away you should replace those. Then there will be other parts that you need, I would almost bet that you will double that $8k price by the time you start up the engine in your car.
Is your car dead stock or does it have the appropriate components to handle 634 HP? There's more to performance than just dropping an engine into a stock chassis.

Sheldon

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Scaregrabber on September 22, 2010, 09:18:48 PM
As a 30 year Hemi owner I would recommend you buy the wedge. The MP hemi heads are the first problem, they drop valve seats on a regular basis, the single 4 intake is pretty much a junk piece too, so right away you should replace those. Then there will be other parts that you need, I would almost bet that you will double that $8k price by the time you start up the engine in your car.
Is your car dead stock or does it have the appropriate components to handle 634 HP? There's more to performance than just dropping an engine into a stock chassis.

Sheldon

Sheldon, thanks for your input on the Hemi which I am definitely shying away from about now just can't justify that "Hemi Tax".  :cheers:

Yes, I have built many a high horsepower classic muscle car my last being a 755HP/700Torque Pat musi 555 ci pump gas engine in a Camaro, and realize all that has to be done to my car to hold this power, built 727 tranny (already have dynamic 9.5 street/strip converter to also go in, proper rear end (have an 8 3/4 with 3.91 gears should be good there without launching on slicks), tie in the frame professionallly, hardened motor mounts, cooling system, performance fuel pump, proper drive shaft with drive shaft loops, etc., etc.  :yesnod: and lots of $ for burnt up drag radials!  ;)

Cooter

Wedge hands down...Any time I have to pull either the heater blower out, or the damn master cylinder to adjust the valves, someone else can have that big ass engine...Gimme something that isn't like putting 10 LBs of sh*t in a 5 LB bucket...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Cooter on September 22, 2010, 11:55:07 PM
Wedge hands down...Any time I have to pull either the heater blower out, or the damn master cylinder to adjust the valves, someone else can have that big ass engine...Gimme something that isn't like putting 10 LBs of sh*t in a 5 LB bucket...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks Cooter, you know I certainly value your advice my friend!  :cheers:

Sixt8Chrgr

Sounds like you have mad your decision, but I would go with the Wedge. For the money and the fact that it is already put together seems to make sense to me. Not to mention the gobs of power and torque.