News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I said DRINK!!!!

Started by myk, September 14, 2010, 06:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Hey all.  I flushed my engine out today but for the life of me I couldn't remember how much coolant the 440 takes; couldn't find my shop manual, didn't find anything on the 'net for fluid capacities, etc.  The local Vato-zone told me the car takes 4.5 gallons of coolant mix; that sounded like alot but whatever.  I have to say that the fluid coming out of the car looked brand new but I honestly don't ever remember doing a coolant replacement in the 17 years I've had this thing so it had to be done. Also, I have to say that the car's always run cool but with the new coolant it seems to run even cooler-well at idle anyway. 

So after running the car for about a half hour and 2 gallons of Prestone later the 'rad is topped off.  I realize that with additional operating hours more bubbles will leave and I'll have to add coolant, but what is the true specified capacity anyway, or is this thing supposed to take more but for some reason isn't?  On a side note, why don't lower radiator hoses have springs in them anymore?  Thanks in advance... 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dodge Don

Here is a little secret ...for a 440 you can use a Mustang spring....I think it is the small block one. I got tipped off about it and got one and fits like a glove.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2008/04/mustang-lower-radiator-hose-springs.html

myk

Quote from: Dodge Don on September 14, 2010, 07:09:21 PM
Here is a little secret ...for a 440 you can use a Mustang spring....I think it is the small block one. I got tipped off about it and got one and fits like a glove.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2008/04/mustang-lower-radiator-hose-springs.html

Oh wow thanks.  But, I'm guessing that because these springs are no longer inserted into the hoses that they're no longer necessary, or does the hose collapse still happen?  I have to admit that the hose I removed as well as purchased are pretty sturdy pieces-I almost thought they were solid...

myk

So, does anyone know how much coolant a 440 with a 26" 'rad is supposed to take?  I still can't find my shop manual...

Dodge Don

I believe it is around 17 quarts.

I removed the thermostat housing and filled the block, replaced housing and then filled rad. Leave rad cap off and run engine until it gets hot enough to open the thermostat, you will see the water start to circulate and the rad level will drop as air is realeased from the system.

jlatessa

Another good idea is putting the front end on ramps or jacking it up a foot or so will help getting all the air pockets out of the heads, eliminating hot spots.

jeryst

Quote from: Dodge Don on September 14, 2010, 07:09:21 PM

Yeah, but you lose 36.5 HP.