News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MP purple shafts ?

Started by Rolling_Thunder, December 23, 2005, 07:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Runner, I apologize deeply if I've ever given you the indication that I don't care what you think.  On the contrary, you've been very helpful so please feel free to offer advice whenever you want.
Good God, your numbers speak for themselves.

Runner

ghoste, i guess i basically got the feeling that you where only interested in ron and neils input. sorry i took it the wrong way.   some times i have a hard time typing what i mean.

on the lighter side of things, i just cut my had playing with scissors.  i think my mom told me not to play with scissors. this is surly something ill keep form my wife or ill never hear the end of it  :)

i

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Ghoste

No, I've pm'd both of those guys with a lot of my dumber questions but only cuz I've been bugging them longer I think.  I'll happily take all the help I can get.

max

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 23, 2005, 09:17:51 PM
Could not be timed...      timing mark is way off (by about 90*) --   when the timing was retarded to get it to TDC it would stall ---   would not run at all...           the only times ive heard of this is with the 284/284 cam.....           I just installed a different camshaft and will be starting her up tomarrow....              

yeah, i had the same problem but mine was in a 340 and i couldn't bring the timming mark on the damper around to the timming scale. it sounded great but ran like crap so i changed the cam to a stock 340 grind and degreed it in just like i did the MP cam and i checked the timming mark on the damper to make sure it hadn't slipped and it was right on the money.

i used the same timming chain and gears that i used on the MP cam and when i started the engine up the timming mark on the damper was right on the scale.

i have built a few engines in my life but that was the first time i had ever ran into that problem and i couldn't explain it :eyes: 

Rolling_Thunder

yeah...   i mean there wasnt anything wrong with the tune ---  Runner my Boss has had a blown 440 - now he's building a stroked and blown hemi...    i mean he can do anything with cars it seems like but just this one instance he couldnt tune it....      and i didnt mean to sound like an asshole if i did before --- its just frustrating - i never seem to have good luck with MP parts
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

any manufacturer can have a bad part made due to any # of errors which is a big reason why I always degree cams thet I install

Ghoste

Do you run into many guys who will happily pay you to blueprint rods and bearing clearances and so on and then when they get to the cam, just want to stick it in there and button it up?

max

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 26, 2005, 03:52:09 AM
any manufacturer can have a bad part made due to any # of errors which is a big reason why I always degree cams thet I install

:iagree: i had a Cloyes timming set that i bought at a local auto parts store and the cam specs were to install it at 108 degree centerline. when i started i keept comming up with a very weird centerline which i believe was like 120(?). i keept thinking there was no way and that i must have been doing something wrong so i went through my paper work to be sure i wasn't doing something wrong and sure enough i was right.

i took the set back to the store and they got another set from the shelf and i started comparing the 2 and the set i had the top cog had the mark off by one full tooth and the bottom key way was off by half but the new set had a tooth missing from the bottom cog.

so i told them to give me the cheapest set that they had, and when i put it in it and degreed the cam it was dead on at 108 degrees.

so it is very important to check parts even if they are new ones, i also have even ran across hyd lifters that were bad from the factory. the plunger wouldn't move in them which would have resulted in a wiped cam lobe if i had of used them straight out of the box.