News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ohio street racing law

Started by Ghoste, September 19, 2010, 08:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Okay first of all, I am NOT in any way trying to condone or encourage street racing.  No how no way.  Secondly this post may already be too late and I apologize for wasting your time if it is.  I copied this from the Mopar Nationals site and I am posting it here because I happen to agree with what they are saying.

Ohio House Bill - 191 - IS BAD NEWS for Car Enthusiasts!  Write the Senators now before they vote! If you live in Ohio or you come to Ohio for a car show or car related event, make your voice heard! When the Ohio Senate comes back into session after their summer break (September) they will take up the vote on HB 191. It rewrites the definition of Street racing from two cars in a side-by-side competition exceeding the posted speed limit to a single car accelerating more than "normal". If caught it mandates the seizure of your vehicle, puts the same charges against anyone "encouraging the act of Street Racing" and bans nitrous oxide from being installed on any vehicle driven on the street. Write the senators NOW and ask them not to pass this bill. It affects anyone who lives or drives in Ohio.

Click here to Read the Bill
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/analysis.cfm?ID=128_HB_191&hf=analyses128/h0191-i-128.htm

Click here for a list of the Senators E-mails
http://www.moparnats.net/documents/OhioSenators.doc

Click here for a sample letter
http://www.moparnats.net/documents/Dear_Senator_X.doc

HPP

There are already laws on the books to deal with street racing. This is giving them the ability to sieze property without due process simply based on an officers observations.

In addition to contacting senators, support an organization that is working to enact enthusiats friendly legislation across the country. http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=/content/SEMASANcom/HomePage

Ghoste

And that is why I oppose it.  It's a knee jerk reaction to a tragedy in this case but it's still overkill and once one place does, other regions quickly follow suit.  We have similar legislation in Ontario and even though politicians are now able to pat one another on the back for their excellent work and sent out taxpayer funded propoganda to their constituents boasting of how they have slain the street racing dragons, the sad truth is that people stupid enough to do that are still doing that and the same number of people are injured by it.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: HPP on September 19, 2010, 09:31:17 AM
There are already laws on the books to deal with street racing. This is giving them the ability to sieze property without due process simply based on an officers observations.

Yup!  If an officer wanted to sieze my old 1947 Dodge wheat truck he could because its usually to the floor thru the first 2 gears!

Todd

Bobs69

Quote from: Ghoste on September 19, 2010, 10:07:14 AM
And that is why I oppose it.  It's a knee jerk reaction to a tragedy in this case but it's still overkill and once one place does, other regions quickly follow suit.  We have similar legislation in Ontario and even though politicians are now able to pat one another on the back for their excellent work and sent out taxpayer funded propoganda to their constituents boasting of how they have slain the street racing dragons, the sad truth is that people stupid enough to do that are still doing that and the same number of people are injured by it.

Guilty withouth due process and there is no defence.  Doctors on their way to emergency have been ticketed.  Minumum fine $2000 maximum $10 000 for first time offenders.

Street racing is doing 50 over the limit.  That's 50km/h = 30mph.

Great money making sceme.  Most people are too busy with their own lives working etc to fight the ticket.  Still I don't rmember anyone beating it.

Mike DC

It's not enough to stop the law.  When they want a law passed against the public's wishes they can just win by attrition.  They just keep reintroducing some form of it over and over again until the public's resolve to stop it is eventually worn down and it passes.  

The way to stop it is to keep track of who specifically pushed the law and vote them out next time.  Do it regardless of what happens with this right now.  

elacruze

Worst of all is that the law is entirely subjective. What is 'normal'? Are police exempt from the law unless their pursuit lights are on? Is it a civil infraction, or a crime? If it's a civil infraction, is it within the Constitution to confiscate property without due process and reasonable doubt?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

terrible one

This country gets scarier to live in every day. And I'm not talking about terrorists . . .

Bobs69

Check this out guys  I mean, yeah if you got some A-holes drifting downtown by all means, show them some police brutality.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/streetracing/article/729505--ontario-stands-firm-on-street-racing-law

And holly crap I didn't know about the no nitrous.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/about/bill203.shtml

This is making me angry.  Just read what you feal like.  $2million in fines in the first fu***g month.  There is no way in hell they'll give that up. 
http://blog.legalaction.ca/does-ontario%E2%80%99s-new-street-racing-law-violate-the-charter-of-rights/

What I don't understand is that we already can be charged for "Careless Driving" which is as bad a drunk driving.  Why someone would risk that today is beyond me.  So why do we need the Stunt driving law?  So you can hammer someon with both penalties?

Bobs69

I'm willing to bet that the cops start their shifts and to pass time keep score who can make the most money in fines.  And it wouldn't surprise me if they followed you doing 140km/h in a 100km/h zone just hoping you'll hit 151km/h.  Taking someone's car has got to earn you bonus points!  Pretty sure I was being followed one night then I decided to turn my lights out and go by the daytime running lights and pull back on the brights.  My new car's taillights are not on when you are just using daytime running lights.

The cop seamed to catch up quick, then turned off in the direction of the car I was following.

FFFFewwwwwwwww that was close.  Important to note, I wasn't doing 50 over, but I think he was hoping I would!

Bobs69

41husk

I know years ago when I was stationed in Millington TN.  They had a law on the books against breaking traction.  I had a 70 Super Bee with a 3500 stall that would accidentaly screech from a stop from time to time :icon_smile_big:  I had to pay a few tickets and use some avasive techniques :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

mikesbbody

"avaise techniques" ? i.e lose the cops  :lol:

Mike DC

QuoteWhat I don't understand is that we already can be charged for "Careless Driving" which is as bad a drunk driving.  Why someone would risk that today is beyond me.  So why do we need the Stunt driving law?  So you can hammer someon with both penalties?

Probably to pile on redundant charges. 

Same reason we have "armed criminal action" and "unlawful use of a firearm" charges that can be piled on top of a charge already on the books like "assault with a deadly weapon".  If you're rich enough then you can buy a lawyer to get the charges reduced down to only what you deserved in the first place.  If you're poor, then you go to jail longer than the sentencing guidelines permit for your actual crime.

jeryst

Just more lunacy from our elected officials. Everyone in Ohio needs to write their representatives "RIGHT NOW".

THere is no way that you should be able to have your car seized just because you accelerated too fast in someones opinion. There is a lot of difference between the speed at which vehicles accelerate, and more importantly, apparently accelerate.

IMO, it seems to be unconstitutional because there is no due process, defense, or right of appeal.

Ohio seems to getting to be more communist than Californica.

Highbanked Hauler

When I got my drivers license in NC last year I had to take the written test the same as a 16 year old would and in the rules it said if you were convicted of street racing your car would be confiscated  and sold. There was little chance that you could get it back.  To back that up one day a black Viper flew by me and a few miles up the road it was full of blue lights and had a car pulled over and I am sure the state didn't pay for a Viper cruiser for the state police.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

sittinonready43

its not the guy with older cars you never here on the news that some in a charger was racing on the street. its always hondas  bmw ect. here in cobourg two kids had there honda   and jetta were taking for a week and  fined.5000 and lost there licence for 1 year

stripedelete

Quote from: jeryst on September 19, 2010, 09:52:37 PM

THere is no way that you should be able to have your car seized just because you accelerated too fast in someones opinion.

Why not? They can sieze your property for a shopping mall.

The crazy is already out of the bottle! 

bakerhillpins

Quote from: terrible one on September 19, 2010, 03:15:06 PM
This country gets scarier to live in every day. And I'm not talking about terrorists . . .

Quote from: stripedelete on September 21, 2010, 01:45:29 PM
The crazy is already out of the bottle! 

Sad but true on both accounts!  :rotz:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

richRTSE

as introduced by:
QuoteReps.     Celeste, Murray, Hagan, Fende, Harris, Boyd, Okey, Chandler, Domenick, Heard, Brown

wow, and every one of those state Reps are democrats...go figure... ::)

jeryst

To me that type of law fall into "Cruel and unusual punishment" and "Illegal search and seizure".

IF you want to fine somebody a REASONABLE amount for a traffic violation, okay. But to take away their vehicle, is nonsense.

What the he11 does "Faster than normal" mean? What exactly is normal?

How can only one vehicle be involved in a race?

Police need a radar gun to fine you for speeding, but they can take your car away based simply on perception?

What happens if you pull out fast to get into traffic, or the road is a little wet, or maybe there is some gravel on the road that
causes your ties to spin? My daughters drivers ed teacher told her to "floor it" when getting on the interstate so that she doesnt
get hit, and so that she gets up to speed in a short amount of time. Does that mean she should need to choose between losing
her vehicle and losing her life?

The banks are gonna have to get involved on this one, because if I lost a car that I had an unpaid load on because of a ridiculous law like this,
I'd just quit paying on it and tell the bank, "You go get it".

I think if a law like that gets passed, people need to challenge it and take it all the way to the Supreme Court if need be.
The nuts in office need to be run out.

I seriously think that its time car enthusiasts band together to form some type of political action committee.
The minorities have them. Unions have them. Gun owners have the NRA.
There are a lot of different groups that represent different different groups of car enthusiasts, like for Hot Rodders, Drag Racers, etc.
But I think its time to band together and create a national group that includes every person that has an appreciation for automobiles,
regardless of the type. MOney and votes are the only things politicians care about. Sad but true. We need to be able to provide or
withhold both to keep our rights.

doctor4766

Thank your lucky starts you don't live in WA (ie Western Australia)
We have "hoon laws" here which means your car can be impounded.....

Under the new laws, a driver who is caught in their first offence of hoon driving, such as exceeding the speed limit, racing and burn-outs, will have their vehicle impounded for seven days and if caught a second time the impoundment will increase to 28 days.

Police Minister John Kobelke said the government has taken strong action against hoon drivers and hopes the new laws will deliver an important message about the danger it imposes on other drivers.

If caught a 3rd time.....
your car can be crushed

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/police-crush-unlicensed-drivers-car/story-e6frg143-1225918440449
Gotta love a '69

Bobs69

I like that idea of telling the bank "hell with it!  you want it go and get it!"

HPP

Quote from: jeryst on September 24, 2010, 01:37:45 AM

I seriously think that its time car enthusiasts band together to form some type of political action committee.
The minorities have them. Unions have them. Gun owners have the NRA.
There are a lot of different groups that represent different different groups of car enthusiasts, like for Hot Rodders, Drag Racers, etc.
But I think its time to band together and create a national group that includes every person that has an appreciation for automobiles,
regardless of the type. MOney and votes are the only things politicians care about. Sad but true. We need to be able to provide or
withhold both to keep our rights.

It alread exists and has for some time. It is free to join and they provide all the info you'd want about things going on in any specific state and ways to get involved along with contacts list of local reps who are for or against these measures.  http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=/content/SEMASANcom/HomePage

68pplcharger

Quote from: terrible one on September 19, 2010, 03:15:06 PM

Yes you are, they are called goverment officials. Not all are bad, but the number is increasing exponentially.