News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

culture crisis, not health crisis? your thoughts?

Started by RD, September 17, 2010, 06:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

QuotePictured is a young physician by the name of Dr. Roger Starner Jones. His short...  two-paragraph letter to the Mississipi Clarion Ledger accurately puts the blame on a "Culture Crisis" instead of a "Health Care Crisis"..

It's worth a quick read:

During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one pack of cigarettes every day, eats only at fast-food take-outs, and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer. And, you and our President expects me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture" a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
ROGER STARNER JONES, MD
If you agree...pass it on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yes its true:  http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/starner.asp

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Roger_S_Jones.html

----------------------------

now other than his anti-administration rhetoric, he does have a point here?  is this truly a cultural change in dependency or is it a health care crisis / issue?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

dkn1997

RECHRGED

Dans 68

Quote from: RD on September 17, 2010, 06:04:36 PM
...is this truly a cultural change in dependency or is it a health care crisis / issue?

I would go with a cultural change in dependency, i.e., eroding of the "personal responsibility" ethos.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

NHCharger

That basically nails it. The problem is our current government WANTS people to be dependent on the government for everything. It's much easier to control the masses that way.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

khodne

Quote from: NHCharger on September 17, 2010, 07:46:48 PM
That basically nails it. The problem is our current government WANTS people to be dependent on the government for everything. It's much easier to control the masses that way.

:iagree:

squeakfinder

Quote from: NHCharger on September 17, 2010, 07:46:48 PM

Yes, it's about power. And making people dependent on the government, so people vote for the candidate they think will give them there handout. The person in the E.R. should be ashamed of what there doing. The problem is, there is no shame anymore.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

bakerhillpins

I'm not going to deny that there is a culture problem, because I believe there is as well. However, you are going to find a poster child for both sides of this problem. Its just too easy to dig up an exception to the rule that gets everyone up in arms.

I have a good friend that has always worked for an employer and at the same time started/run his own business. He always paid into the system and has good health habits as does his wife. His wife has come down with a chronic and debilitating problem and the insurance companies refuse to pay for any treatment. They are failing him just as bad as the above example is taking advantage of the system. Who is more correct? More deserving?

Its just plain old broken.  :Twocents:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

learical1

For 30+ years, I worked parts in Ford dealerships.  The first 12 years, when I was single, the dealership paid for my health insurance.  When I got married, I added my wife to the insurance.  Cost was minimal.  Then we had a child, and the price went up again. I moved and switched dealerships, and the price increased again!   It soon got to the point that we had to make a decision:  Drop health insurance and pray nothing major happens, or move to a scroungy neighborhood with scroungy schools to pay the $850 a month insurance bill.  We went 15 years without insurance, I paid for a midwife to home deliver all of my kids, and only 4 visits to the emergency room for the family.  I was lucky, in 15 years I spent about $10,000, or just over 1 year's insurance payments, in medical fees.  I currently work for a company that pays for my entire family's health insurance for $40 a month (it would be free if I could drop about 75 lbs).  I'm scared that, now that I finally have real health insurance again, the new health plan is gonna ruin it for me.   I saw the need for some kind of health reform, but what we got...?
Bruce

Brock Lee

It would also be nice to see what the bill for that medical visit was. You can bet your ass no matter how trivial her issue was it was not under 4 figures.

I don't think anyone is fighting for the real solution to all this. There needs to be reform in the insurance industry AND the medical industry.

Mike DC

QuoteIt would also be nice to see what the bill for that medical visit was. You can bet your ass no matter how trivial her issue was it was not under 4 figures.

I don't think anyone is fighting for the real solution to all this. There needs to be reform in the insurance industry AND the medical industry.

Bingo. 

And while we're at it, let's stop pretending that making a diet entirely out of corn syrup is not a problem too.  The govt is itching to start taxing us for eating junkfood while it continues to subsidize the creation of the stuff. 

RD

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 17, 2010, 11:29:48 PM
QuoteIt would also be nice to see what the bill for that medical visit was. You can bet your ass no matter how trivial her issue was it was not under 4 figures.

Bingo. 

And while we're at it, let's stop pretending that making a diet entirely out of corn syrup is not a problem too.  The govt is itching to start taxing us for eating junkfood while it continues to subsidize the creation of the stuff. 

SO TRUE!!!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander