News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine paint-Removal of old?

Started by elacruze, September 16, 2010, 01:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

My 'new' engine had a pretty decent rattle-can orange applied, but I want it the correct Turquoise. What's the best way to get the old paint off? I have a pinpoint sandblaster, can spray chemicals, and good old fashioned wire wheel. I'm trying to avoid taking the short block apart, but if tanking the block is the only sure way to get it right, I'll do that.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

elitecustombody

Aircraft paint stripper in aerosol can works pretty good

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

bull

The ideal way to do it would be the hot tank but since you're apparently beyond that point I think I'd move on. So why not just scuff and paint over the orange?

elacruze

Quote from: bull on September 20, 2010, 03:19:00 AM
The ideal way to do it would be the hot tank but since you're apparently beyond that point I think I'd move on. So why not just scuff and paint over the orange?

I'm not confident that the Orange paint will stay put long enough. It's a spray-can job which looks ok but I don't know how the prep was, nor how the new paint will react over it. We've decided to seal it up tight and use chemical stripper, then a good rinse, degrease and sunbaking.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

bull

That should work fine as long as the "seal it up tight" part is done right. I'm stating the obvious here but you don't want that stripper and degreaser inside the engine. :o

Don't you just love doing things backward? :brickwall: I know I do.

elacruze

It wouldn't be such a big deal if I was ok with the engine being Orange...'68 has always been Turquoise, and I want to keep it that way even though 'stock' isn't in it.

I always torture myself.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

bull

Quote from: elacruze on September 20, 2010, 11:11:40 AM
I always torture myself.

Good, because I need the company. I am a perfectionist who can never quite achive perfection.

BigBlockSam

i took mine to a sand blasting place . they did a nice job for $100
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

bull

As nervous as I am about chemicals and degreasers around a short block I'd be 10 times as nervous about flying abrasives around one.

BigBlockSam

QuoteAs nervous as I am about chemicals and degreasers around a short block I'd be 10 times as nervous about flying abrasives around one.

just tape all the holes shut and make sure you have a experienced man doing the blasting . 5 years later and the motor is fine. i have to admit , i was watching him through the window as he did it .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img