News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Daytona lost in fire: ***updated wth newspaper article***

Started by firefighter3931, December 23, 2005, 08:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

A 69 Daytona was lost in a local fire along with a few other classic Mopars. There was a 70 Roadrunner and a Challenger that were also consumed in the blaze.   :cryin: I hadn't seen this collection but knew about them and was planning on paying the guy a visit. As it turns out the owner of these cars is the cousin of one of my co-workers who was going to introduce us.

I'll scan and post the pic when i get home this evening. Say a little prayer for 3 fallen warriors.   :angel:

The good news is that no one was injured in this fire. Ironicly, i would have been at this blaze had my platoon been on duty...it's approx 10 minutes away from my firehouse.

Ron

Edit: here's a link to the story :

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/12/23/1365551-sun.html

Update: here's a newspaper article with additional info for those who are interested. This guy is a serious collecter and has 7 other mopars. He is planning on restoring the 3 burnt cars.

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Duey

RIP Daytona and friends...

Ron, did the fellow ever come to cruise night at Place D'Orleans?
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Blown70

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 23, 2005, 08:07:34 AM
A 69 Daytona was lost in a local fire along with a few other classic Mopars. There was a 70 Roadrunner and a Challenger that were also consumed in the blaze.   :cryin: I hadn't seen this collection but knew about them and was planning on paying the guy a visit. As it turns out the owner of these cars is the cousin of one of my co-workers who was going to introduce us.

I'll scan and post the pic when i get home this evening. Say a little prayer for 3 fallen warriors.   :angel:

The good news is that no one was injured in this fire. Ironicly, i would have been at this blaze had my platoon been on duty...it's approx 10 minutes away from my firehouse.

Ron

RON,

I be you would have run in the burning building to SAVE the children..... ERRR I mean CARS..... :icon_smile_wink:

Sorry to hear this.   I hope they were insured.

Tom

TruckDriver

:'( :'( :'( What's with all the Mopars being destroyed lately??
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

hemi68charger

Man,,, That suchs......... My condolences...... Another Mopar Dream is lost.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

kab69440

Will the Daytona be for sale then?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Shakey

What a shame!  Something that is preserved for so long gets lost to something so preventable such as a fire!  Makes you think about a sprinkler system for your collection!

viper r/t

tomonty

Man, that would make me ill...what a shame.  :'(
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

Geordie

Hey,

I was just going to post this as I just turned over the paper and saw a burnt out daytona on page five...not good. Here's the link for anybody that wants to check it out. http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/12/23/1365551-sun.html

Blown70

Quote from: Geordie on December 23, 2005, 11:17:57 AM
Hey,

I was just going to post this as I just turned over the paper and saw a burnt out daytona on page five...not good. Here's the link for anybody that wants to check it out. http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/12/23/1365551-sun.html

Hearing it is one thing seeing that picture makes me want to :bawling: :bawling:

Shakey

BB1

Delete my profile

bull

Man, that really bites. I'm glad no one was hurt but it's sad to see that classic muscle destroyed.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Shakey on December 23, 2005, 10:08:57 AM
What a shame!   Something that is preserved for so long gets lost to something so preventable such as a fire!   Makes you think about a sprinkler system for your collection!

:iagree: When i build my shop you can bet there'll be a deluge sprinkler system installed.

Duey: never saw the car at the Orleans cruise...it was supposedly a beautiful car though !   :bawling:

Tom: you can bet your last dollar that i woulda been inside pushing those cars outside if at all possible. I've done that in the past at several different fires involving vintage cars....

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 23, 2005, 11:53:46 AM
Quote from: Shakey on December 23, 2005, 10:08:57 AM
What a shame!   Something that is preserved for so long gets lost to something so preventable such as a fire!   Makes you think about a sprinkler system for your collection!

:iagree: When i build my shop you can bet there'll be a deluge sprinkler system installed.

Duey: never saw the car at the Orleans cruise...it was supposedly a beautiful car though !   :bawling:

Tom: you can bet your last dollar that i woulda been inside pushing those cars outside if at all possible. I've done that in the past at several different fires involving vintage cars....

Ron

That's cool. Some people probably thought you were crazy but I bet the onwers sure appreciated it. I hope if I ever have a house fire I get a firefighter who loves classic Mopars. "Yea, just leave the friggin' minivan sit, put the wife and kids in the Charger help me push it out."

firefighter3931

Quote from: bull on December 23, 2005, 11:59:03 AM

That's cool. Some people probably thought you were crazy but I bet the onwers sure appreciated it. I hope if I ever have a house fire I get a firefighter who loves classic Mopars. "Yea, just leave the friggin' minivan sit, put the wife and kids in the Charger help me push it out."

Thanks Curtis. Some things are too hard to replace so we do our best to save them. Had one housefire involving a 69 Camaro that was stuck in the garage with the doors locked. Keys were inside the house in the bedroom that was fully involved. The owner was freaking out about his car which was inside the attached garage which was experiencing heavy smoke damage and the fire was just about there. Went in and put my fist through the sideglass and flipped it into neutral and pushed it out. The guy was pretty relieved to see his car out in the driveway with just a busted window....sure helped to put a positive spin on an otherwise traumatic event.

Obvoiusly or first priority is to prevent loss of life but after that we go into high gear to prevent property damage. I've been in burning buildings tarping furniture, electronics etc..to prevent water/smoke damage and minimize fire loss. That is one of the most rewarding parts of the job and fire victims are allways appreciative of the efforts.

Ron

Blown70

NOTE:  DONT MESS WITH RON OR HE WILL PUT HIS FIST THROUGH YOU..... ;D

Afflyer

Just make me sick to see that happen.   I wonder if arson was the cause?

Bradley
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Charger_Fan

Quote from: tomonty on December 23, 2005, 10:21:01 AM
Man, that would make me ill...
Me too! :'(

I guess the overall value of Daytona's just went up another notch?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Duey

Slightly O/T, but let's put our hands together for the guys and gals who willingly risk life and limb saving people (and property) from what is surely one of the worst ways to go..

Thanks Ron and all the other firefighters!
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Duey on December 23, 2005, 12:27:51 PM
Slightly O/T, but let's put our hands together for the guys and gals who willingly risk life and limb saving people (and property) from what is surely one of the worst ways to go..

Thanks Ron and all the other firefighters!
ABSOLUTELY!! :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

694spdRT

That is sad to see.  :'(

I am guessing with a total estimated loss of $500,000 it was not a Hemi Daytona.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Chris G.

Man that's terrible. Probably one of my worst fears when leaving the house unattended for any amount of time. A sprinkler system is a must for any car collector warehouse. Glad no Firefighters were seriously hurt. Sounds like you guys had a busy night.

ps- What's KARS anyway?  ???

Charger Aficionado

Sad Sad Day.   

Good thing you weren't there man (you'd prolly have risked your neck).