News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Daytona lost in fire: ***updated wth newspaper article***

Started by firefighter3931, December 23, 2005, 08:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

A 69 Daytona was lost in a local fire along with a few other classic Mopars. There was a 70 Roadrunner and a Challenger that were also consumed in the blaze.   :cryin: I hadn't seen this collection but knew about them and was planning on paying the guy a visit. As it turns out the owner of these cars is the cousin of one of my co-workers who was going to introduce us.

I'll scan and post the pic when i get home this evening. Say a little prayer for 3 fallen warriors.   :angel:

The good news is that no one was injured in this fire. Ironicly, i would have been at this blaze had my platoon been on duty...it's approx 10 minutes away from my firehouse.

Ron

Edit: here's a link to the story :

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/12/23/1365551-sun.html

Update: here's a newspaper article with additional info for those who are interested. This guy is a serious collecter and has 7 other mopars. He is planning on restoring the 3 burnt cars.

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Duey

RIP Daytona and friends...

Ron, did the fellow ever come to cruise night at Place D'Orleans?
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Blown70

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 23, 2005, 08:07:34 AM
A 69 Daytona was lost in a local fire along with a few other classic Mopars. There was a 70 Roadrunner and a Challenger that were also consumed in the blaze.   :cryin: I hadn't seen this collection but knew about them and was planning on paying the guy a visit. As it turns out the owner of these cars is the cousin of one of my co-workers who was going to introduce us.

I'll scan and post the pic when i get home this evening. Say a little prayer for 3 fallen warriors.   :angel:

The good news is that no one was injured in this fire. Ironicly, i would have been at this blaze had my platoon been on duty...it's approx 10 minutes away from my firehouse.

Ron

RON,

I be you would have run in the burning building to SAVE the children..... ERRR I mean CARS..... :icon_smile_wink:

Sorry to hear this.   I hope they were insured.

Tom

TruckDriver

:'( :'( :'( What's with all the Mopars being destroyed lately??
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

hemi68charger

Man,,, That suchs......... My condolences...... Another Mopar Dream is lost.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

kab69440

Will the Daytona be for sale then?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Shakey

What a shame!  Something that is preserved for so long gets lost to something so preventable such as a fire!  Makes you think about a sprinkler system for your collection!

viper r/t

tomonty

Man, that would make me ill...what a shame.  :'(
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

Geordie

Hey,

I was just going to post this as I just turned over the paper and saw a burnt out daytona on page five...not good. Here's the link for anybody that wants to check it out. http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/12/23/1365551-sun.html

Blown70

Quote from: Geordie on December 23, 2005, 11:17:57 AM
Hey,

I was just going to post this as I just turned over the paper and saw a burnt out daytona on page five...not good. Here's the link for anybody that wants to check it out. http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/12/23/1365551-sun.html

Hearing it is one thing seeing that picture makes me want to :bawling: :bawling:

Shakey

BB1

Delete my profile

bull

Man, that really bites. I'm glad no one was hurt but it's sad to see that classic muscle destroyed.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Shakey on December 23, 2005, 10:08:57 AM
What a shame!   Something that is preserved for so long gets lost to something so preventable such as a fire!   Makes you think about a sprinkler system for your collection!

:iagree: When i build my shop you can bet there'll be a deluge sprinkler system installed.

Duey: never saw the car at the Orleans cruise...it was supposedly a beautiful car though !   :bawling:

Tom: you can bet your last dollar that i woulda been inside pushing those cars outside if at all possible. I've done that in the past at several different fires involving vintage cars....

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 23, 2005, 11:53:46 AM
Quote from: Shakey on December 23, 2005, 10:08:57 AM
What a shame!   Something that is preserved for so long gets lost to something so preventable such as a fire!   Makes you think about a sprinkler system for your collection!

:iagree: When i build my shop you can bet there'll be a deluge sprinkler system installed.

Duey: never saw the car at the Orleans cruise...it was supposedly a beautiful car though !   :bawling:

Tom: you can bet your last dollar that i woulda been inside pushing those cars outside if at all possible. I've done that in the past at several different fires involving vintage cars....

Ron

That's cool. Some people probably thought you were crazy but I bet the onwers sure appreciated it. I hope if I ever have a house fire I get a firefighter who loves classic Mopars. "Yea, just leave the friggin' minivan sit, put the wife and kids in the Charger help me push it out."

firefighter3931

Quote from: bull on December 23, 2005, 11:59:03 AM

That's cool. Some people probably thought you were crazy but I bet the onwers sure appreciated it. I hope if I ever have a house fire I get a firefighter who loves classic Mopars. "Yea, just leave the friggin' minivan sit, put the wife and kids in the Charger help me push it out."

Thanks Curtis. Some things are too hard to replace so we do our best to save them. Had one housefire involving a 69 Camaro that was stuck in the garage with the doors locked. Keys were inside the house in the bedroom that was fully involved. The owner was freaking out about his car which was inside the attached garage which was experiencing heavy smoke damage and the fire was just about there. Went in and put my fist through the sideglass and flipped it into neutral and pushed it out. The guy was pretty relieved to see his car out in the driveway with just a busted window....sure helped to put a positive spin on an otherwise traumatic event.

Obvoiusly or first priority is to prevent loss of life but after that we go into high gear to prevent property damage. I've been in burning buildings tarping furniture, electronics etc..to prevent water/smoke damage and minimize fire loss. That is one of the most rewarding parts of the job and fire victims are allways appreciative of the efforts.

Ron

Blown70

NOTE:  DONT MESS WITH RON OR HE WILL PUT HIS FIST THROUGH YOU..... ;D

Afflyer

Just make me sick to see that happen.   I wonder if arson was the cause?

Bradley
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Charger_Fan

Quote from: tomonty on December 23, 2005, 10:21:01 AM
Man, that would make me ill...
Me too! :'(

I guess the overall value of Daytona's just went up another notch?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Duey

Slightly O/T, but let's put our hands together for the guys and gals who willingly risk life and limb saving people (and property) from what is surely one of the worst ways to go..

Thanks Ron and all the other firefighters!
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Duey on December 23, 2005, 12:27:51 PM
Slightly O/T, but let's put our hands together for the guys and gals who willingly risk life and limb saving people (and property) from what is surely one of the worst ways to go..

Thanks Ron and all the other firefighters!
ABSOLUTELY!! :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

694spdRT

That is sad to see.  :'(

I am guessing with a total estimated loss of $500,000 it was not a Hemi Daytona.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Chris G.

Man that's terrible. Probably one of my worst fears when leaving the house unattended for any amount of time. A sprinkler system is a must for any car collector warehouse. Glad no Firefighters were seriously hurt. Sounds like you guys had a busy night.

ps- What's KARS anyway?  ???

Charger Aficionado

Sad Sad Day.   

Good thing you weren't there man (you'd prolly have risked your neck).

firefighter3931

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 23, 2005, 12:51:36 PM
ps- What's KARS anyway?   ???

Chris,

Kars is the name of a little village just outside of town. Beautiful spot on the banks of the Rideau river.

Ron

Chris G.

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 23, 2005, 01:11:03 PM
Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 23, 2005, 12:51:36 PM
ps- What's KARS anyway?   ???

Chris,

Kars is the name of a little village just outside of town. Beautiful spot on the banks of the Rideau river.

Ron

Gotcha Ron.  :thumbs:  Pretty cool name for a town. :icon_smile_big:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

TruckDriver

Quote from: 694spdRT on December 23, 2005, 12:39:10 PM
That is sad to see.   :'(

I am guessing with a total estimated loss of $500,000 it was not a Hemi Daytona.

Was it a restord Daytona? Cause it looks like theres no fender on it.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

CFMopar

Thats sad. Luckly no one was hurt though...
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

andy74

that really sucks,glad everyone is okay

Just 6T9 CHGR

Bad news!!

Any chance of getting the tag info ;) ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

THE CHARGER PUNK

if it were me i would have ran in there and tried to save the winged warrior even if i had gotten a little burnt and cut up it would be worth it( to me at least)-MATT

69_500

So does anyone know the VIN to the Daytona, so that like other cars that have been lost in fires, that they don't try to resurface in a different body decades down the road?

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 23, 2005, 12:12:15 PM
Quote from: bull on December 23, 2005, 11:59:03 AM

Thanks Curtis. Some things are too hard to replace so we do our best to save them. Had one housefire involving a 69 Camaro that was stuck in the garage with the doors locked. Keys were inside the house in the bedroom that was fully involved. The owner was freaking out about his car which was inside the attached garage which was experiencing heavy smoke damage and the fire was just about there. Went in and put my fist through the sideglass and flipped it into neutral and pushed it out. The guy was pretty relieved to see his car out in the driveway with just a busted window....sure helped to put a positive spin on an otherwise traumatic event.

Obvoiusly or first priority is to prevent loss of life but after that we go into high gear to prevent property damage. I've been in burning buildings tarping furniture, electronics etc..to prevent water/smoke damage and minimize fire loss. That is one of the most rewarding parts of the job and fire victims are allways appreciative of the efforts.

Ron

Your fist!? :o Where was your axe? ;) Cool story! I'd much rather have a broken window to deal with than a crispy car. You can probably find Camaro windows at just about any garage sale anyway. Charger windows on the other hand...

R2

QuoteWent in and put my fist through the sideglass and flipped it into neutral and pushed it out. The guy was pretty relieved to see his car out in the driveway with just a busted window

Way to go Ron..Whatever it takes to get that thing out of the garage....you deserve the following smilies.......

:bow: :METAL: :cheers: :patriot:

firefighter3931

Charger Aficionado

I'd sacrafice the ol' RamCharger for the game...  In a heartbeat I would've gone thorough that wall. 

TruckDriver

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought you couldn't restore a badly burned car like his. I thought the metal would be warped etc.  :shruggy:

And, yes I know if you got the money and will, anything can be restored. But thats not what I mean. Wouldn't all the metal be basically be plain scrap?
PETE

Silver R/T

that sucks, especially that it was so close to Christmas
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chargervert

Quote from: 69_500 on December 23, 2005, 05:39:44 PM
So does anyone know the VIN to the Daytona, so that like other cars that have been lost in fires, that they don't try to resurface in a different body decades down the road?quote]I know that the guy who owns them,said he wants to restore them,but I don't think theres any way to save those cars without rebodying them!I think if this guy has the chance to get his lost cars back,then thats one rebody,that would be ok!But not if someone else takes the numbers,and recreates those car for profit!

Arthu®

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on December 24, 2005, 09:47:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought you couldn't restore a badly burned car like his. I thought the metal would be warped etc.   :shruggy:

And, yes I know if you got the money and will, anything can be restored. But thats not what I mean. Wouldn't all the metal be basically be plain scrap?

Really sad sight to see, but at least no one was hurt. Yeah you are right if a car is badly burned as probably is in this case as it was in the middle of burning house. The metal will be probably be scrap. It just gets too hot it there.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

twilt

It will probably get re-bodied and resurface in 5-10 years. 

chargervert

nascarxx29

This car needs to be red flagged like my past owned totaled out none existing wing cars.So if it does show up .Its prior origins will be known about it
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

Was the burned up daytona a T5 4 speed car .Also was it located in Kars

nascarxx29

All the info I gather indicates it was this was probably this car .beep beep dave and ghost refers to other posts about it.
http://www.moparstyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63059

Charger_Fan

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 28, 2005, 11:44:02 AM
All the info I gather indicates it was this was probably this car .beep beep dave and ghost refers to other posts about it.
http://www.moparstyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63059

Very well could be Dave...the last I heard the car was in Guelph Ont. Too sad! And the one newspaper article indicates it was bought out of Guelph a few years ago.

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Is it the same car I am talking about though?  If it is, that's very sad and we'll have to a little memorial out at our shop for the car.
I'm just sad that back when it was around here, I didn't collect the tag info and so on.  If it is the same car, there is a small chance I may be able to at least get the vin number.

nascarxx29

See what you come up with .I got a clue the burned car sold new at Bay King Motors Hamilton Ontario.And maybe car #367 on the daytona list .Or this other car sold from that same dealer

Ghoste

I'll see.  The car I am talking about should have been sold new in Leamington or Windsor.  I'm going to have a memorial for it anyway.  We Canadians will use any excuse for a beer and a lost Daytona is better than some of the ones I've used in the past.

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 28, 2005, 02:43:27 PM
See what you come up with .I got a clue the burned car sold new at Bay King Motors Hamilton Ontario.And maybe car #367 on the daytona list .Or this other car sold from that same dealer

Hey Dave what car is this then?

1969 Charger Daytona, PS, PB, AT, Bucket Seats, Center Console, 1st Known Canada Export Car, T5 Copper, Tan Interior, Not Matching Numbers & No Build Sheet. Currently in Restoration & should be completed by March 1st.

$190K OBO

Contact Dave at 714-742-2832 or email sixpack@gte.net

BTW Bay King Motors in Hamilton is still around!

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Moparmatty

414631 is the one that was in Guelph for sale last year at Wellington Motors.  T5 440 4spd.  SOld new out of Bay King Motors in Hamilton.
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

65post

Talked to the guy a while back and he is having the burnt daytona restored.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Crazy Larry

Does anyone know the cause of the fire - just curious and I didn't see it reported in the article.

My guess is that it was a space heater that was left on.

As for a burned out vehicle not being able to be restored, I guess that comes down to the severity of the fire damage. I know of a '58 Plymouth Fury from the movie Christine that was burned pretty bad, and it was sold for restoration. So it is possible, but not cheap.

Also, and insurance question - if the guy gets what the Daytona is worth from the Insurance company, don't they get the charred carcas of the vehicle? And can he then buy back the burned chassis from the insurance company? I always thought you have to give up the damage vehicle when you get the insurance money - to prevent fraud.

Anyone know the details?

:shruggy:

Ghoste

I think it probably depends on the policy and your relationship with the adjuster to a degree.

moparsinbarns

Is he going to try to restore the Daytona and the other two or is he going to sell them or just scrap them? Whats he doing?
Mopar Or No Car!!!!!!!!

chargerkid426

*quote* But his dreams was to own a 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona like the one off The Dukes Of Hazzard *quote*.

They didnt use a Daytona on the Dukes..how stupid is that reporter? :haha:

Ghoste

moparsinbarns

Ya it was a restored Daytona. The falling building and hot flames probally made it fall off :yesnod:
Mopar Or No Car!!!!!!!!

69bronzeT5

I know this is an old topic but was this thing ever restored? :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

maxwellwedge

It is being restored. An NOS nose, quarters and fenders were found. I sold him an original wing. The top half of the car got the worst of it, the original engine and trans were checked to be good and are being rebuilt. An amazing old school metal magician has pulled, beaten and hammered out the lower part of the car on P4's and an original roof is going on. The car will live with most of its original structure intact! I will probably post some pics in a few weeks.

mauve66

quoteing the article, i didn't know they had a 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona on the Dukes of Hazzard show.....................................???
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

69bronzeT5

Quote from: moparsinbarns on March 26, 2006, 02:26:27 PM
Ya it was a restored Daytona. The falling building and hot flames probally made it fall off :yesnod:

Ah yes...the good 'ole days  ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Nwcharger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 30, 2009, 06:26:10 PM
It is being restored. An NOS nose, quarters and fenders were found. I sold him an original wing. The top half of the car got the worst of it, the original engine and trans were checked to be good and are being rebuilt. An amazing old school metal magician has pulled, beaten and hammered out the lower part of the car on P4's and an original roof is going on. The car will live with most of its original structure intact! I will probably post some pics in a few weeks.

Any new updates on this car or pics of the restoration?
1969 coronet wagon

Nwcharger

So was this Daytona considered a rebody?? No updates or pics of its restoration  :shruggy:
1969 coronet wagon

hemi68charger

Quote from: Nwcharger on February 12, 2015, 10:19:17 AM
So was this Daytona considered a rebody?? No updates or pics of its restoration  :shruggy:

based on what Jim mentioned of the body work, I would say no since..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

held1823

the starting point was still recognizable as a charger, but man what a project
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 12, 2015, 11:13:47 AM
Quote from: Nwcharger on February 12, 2015, 10:19:17 AM

based on what Jim mentioned of the body work, I would say no since..

Since.......
I have seen the car during the entire restoration and helped to find a lot of the tough to find stuff. What I said earlier as to what was fixed or changed still is.
I saw it about a month ago....the dip color is on it, the nose is starting to be assembled....and paint will be the next step. It has been a long, long drawn out resto.....there was a lot of intense hours spent saving what could be saved. In my opinion, It doesn't even close to anything I would consider a re-body......a labor of love describes it best.  :2thumbs: