News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

looking at 72 charger

Started by walkingcrow, September 09, 2010, 09:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkingcrow

New member here so hello everyone. :cheers: Just found this site and seems like a great place. I am looking at a 72 charger as a project for my 17 year old son and I. The pictures on the ad aren't great they only show a view from the front. It is lime
green with a black "power bulge". The ad reads

"1972 DODGE CHARGER : Great project car for this winter. Interior is rough but the body panels and glass are all good. Power bulge hood, hide away head lights, and dual exhaust.
Original paint - lime green.
Has front and rear spoilers, hood pins, vinyl roof in good condition, and dual mirrors.
Has always been stored indoors"

Anyone know what engine I should be hoping for or any particulars I should look for good or bad? Thanks in advance.

WC

Nacho-RT74

welcome!

without VIN is allmost imposible to know what engine must have, but if bulge hood is factory then it is a Rallye and THE STANDART ENGINE on these it was 318 2bbls.

then 340 4bbls, 400 4bbls, and 440 4bbls, being the 340 bbls only optional on Rallyes, what it means any 340 4bbls it was a Charger Rallye by default.

then for a Rallye it should have Louvered doors ( 5 horizontal indents ), Rallye ( round gages ) cluster, rear sway bar and louvered tail lights

spoilers were not factory in 72 just 71, but easy to add.

hideaways were optional not part of the Rallye package

If is a rallye the fender tag if is not a Lynch road assembly plant, must state A57 code somewhere. Lynch Road plant didn't coded on Fender tag the Rallye package code.

If bulged hood was added you could get ANY engine on this car but a 440 or 340

If Hideaways are factory, it could be a Topper or an SE. Being a Topper you can get any engine but 340 and 440 ( maybe some other too ), and if SE you can get any engine but 340. I think hideaways were in fact optional on any model but ON THESE was standart.

an SE will have a smaller and vertical cut on quarter glass opening and chromed bezel over tail lights. Chromed finish too around tail light housings

and goes on, goes on, goes on

more and detailed info needed?
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1972DealershipDataBook-05.shtml
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NHCharger

As far as engine size check the vin #. The fifth digit will be a letter show what engine came with the car.
Could you post a pic of the fender tag or list out the codes on the tag ?
Pics of the car would be awesome too.
Welcome to the site :cheers: :cheers:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

stuga

Craig's list has a 72 SE listed for $2700 in colorado springs, not bad shape, 440 u code car, body is savable. its a AC car with hideaway headlights. I was going to buy it, but ended up finding a 71 SE , AC, auto, buckets closer to me with a 383 n code car. Told my wife my 73SE was lonely in the garage, :smilielol: